Video on Small Screen

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Agree with the sentiment. However, a phone makes for an acceptable way of re-watching a movie, after one has already experienced it on a suitably large screen.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I agree with David. And it doesn't change if you increase from an iPhone to an iPad to a 22 inch Plasma to a 35 inch Plasma to a .... The smallest monitor I would watch (or re-watch) a movie on starts at 42"

I also disagree with Rich.

I did like how emphatic David was in his opinion :D

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Given a choice between not watching a movie or watching it (for the 2nd or subsequent time) on an iPhone, I'd still pick the latter. It certainly helped me kill 2+ hours when flying from Kelowna to Montreal last year!

Granted the best way to see a movie is on a large, high quality screen, but films not all films NEED a large screen. I thinking specifically of character driven drama rather than the latest action blockbuster here: obviously something like The Avengers really needs a big screen for the best impact.

To use an audio analogy: watching a film on an iPhone is akin to listening to low-res digital. But given the choice between listening to music you love using that method or not at all, which would you chose?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well, I personally agree. It will not stop my son [3 years old] from watching his shows or movies on one though. My wife loves it for the plane rides. Basically, it kills time and keeps them both entertained. I can't really get into watching anything on a phone or tablet but that's just me. With my son, this was what he started watching things on. I guess he'll grow up thinking it's "normal" to watch something on a phone or a tablet. Getting back to the OP, I still don't think that they will ever experience what it is they are watching like they do at home or at a theater.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
While I don't disagree with Rich about it being able to kill some time on a long flight, I'm not enough of a movie fan to do that. I usually read and order liquor!;):p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing