Genesis 1.1 VS Wilson X2 Alexandria

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I thought that he said "verticle venetian blinds" effect - that's a common problem with narrow-wing dipoles. It's due to interference between the waves coming from the two panels, from behind the panels, and bouncing around the walls.

No, I saw that Gary. I thought that there were other more pressing issues that bothered Robert.

Oh and don't stare too long at your animated cartoon. Turns into a Rorschach test!

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Interesting, have had to replace the panels on my MLs every say five years or so. Was wondering where you might get replacement panels for the Accoustats. The MLs seem to get duller over time. Might just be that dirt builds up on the mylar film over time, esp. living in a dirty environment like NYC :)

I think your dust comment is on the money. I vacuum the panels on my Spires every month or so, and dirty air where I live is not a problem (modulo the odd forest fire...)! The Spires usually sound a bit better after I vacuum them.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Also one of the main issues with the back wave from any dipole is the dreaded 'haas effect'. The ear will 'integrate' the first arriving sound with an early arriving sound if the early arriving sound is within 10-15ms from the first arriving sound. This prevents the ability of the ear/brain to differentiate which is the first arriving sound and which is the first reflection. In a good concert hall in row 12 center the arrival time of the first reflection will exceed 100ms. So if your early reflection in your listening room falls below 8-10ms your soundstage goes to pot. Also early arriving sounds can affect the level of the perceived sound as well. Some people are bothered by this 'hass effect' more than others but generally most audio people feel a delay of somewhere around 8ms or more is a good place to start when setting up your speakers if image placement and focus is important to you. So in the case of the CLX's the 4 foot distance from the rear wall means about 8ms of delay in the sound bouncing of the rear wall and reaching your ears at the listening position. Sound travels at approximately 1 foot per ms so 4 feet back and 4 feet forward means a delay of 8 milliseconds from your listening position. 5 Feet would give you 10 milliseconds and so on.

Bryston review of ML CLX

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Like many, I found it difficult to get good integration of bass with the panels. My best solution was a custom X-over built by Greg Schug (he designs and builds the amps/Xovers for Vandersteen) and a pair of larger VMPS subs, with the signal to he panels rolling off at 6 dB/octave (-3 dB point at 120 Hz) and an 18 dB/octave low-pass on the woofers (-3 dB between 70 and 80 Hz). I left the area behind the speakers reflective and used absorption at the first reflection points (from the panels, not the rear waves) on the sidewalls which helped the beaming (a lot of experimentation with speaker placement and angulation was necessary). Ultimately, though, I remained unhappy with the overall dynamic picture, and the beaming never went away enough for my taste.

Despite all that, if/when I look for speakers in the $10-15k range, Magnepan 20.1, Summit-X and Saunders ESL's will be on my short list for careful audition (along with dynamics like the Acoustic Zen Crescendo and Thiel 3.7)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Tom, that might have to do with set-up. Stats are dipoles, so are Genesis, Magneplanar, etc. The set-up rules are different, and you have to be careful. It is both easier and harder at the same time to set up a pair of dipole speakers. However, I've heard Martin Logan CLS's, Maggie 20's, and large Acoustats deliver the guitar image as you desire. However, this is greatly dependent on the image that was recorded on the CD.

The problem I've found is that most owners set up their speakers in relation to the listener, instead of in relation to the room. This is more important for dipoles than the usual box speakers.

If you look carefully at the pictures posted by MrAcoustat, he has a room that has an angled wall on the right, and an open space on the left. His speakers are also set up asymmetrically which is brilliant. To handle the angled right wall, he has the speaker toe-ed out slightly. This manages the rear wave of the dipole speakers, and if I am not wrong, would give him superlative pin-point and real-sized imaging and soundstage.

The other problem with most stats has to do with integration between the midrange and the bass. How do you get a 100gm woofer cone to move at the same speed (I know bass "speed" is hugely debatable) as an almost weightless ribbon or stat? Ever since Martin Logan implemented servo-bass technology in the early 2000's the integration have been very, very much better. Other speakers have relied on a large enough radiation panel (Soundlabs, CLS, etc.).

However, with any dipole, the wrap-around cancellation frequency is an factor and no matter how wide the panel is, it is difficult to get the cancellation into the bass. Some companies - Emerald Physics being a recent notable one - managed this using digital equalization. In the Genesis 1, we manage this using a 4-foot wide wing (140Hz cancellation frequency). However, this 4-foot wide wing means that most music lovers, even if the have the money and want a pair, don't have the space for a G1. I couldn't even hope to get a pair of G1's into Steve's room which houses the Alexandria and four JL Audio subwoofers.

This guy paid for the development and engineering to shoe-horn a pair into an apartment that had only 5.2m width (but 18m length). Even though I did the re-design with narrower wings - which meant that I had to change the crossovers - I was never sure that it would be a success and could be called my flagship speaker until I had them installed.

When Amir heard them in the Genesis factory (6,000 sq.ft. no walls) they were sounding small and lightweight. The image specificity was very good (a cello that was recorded to sound cello-sized sounded cello-sized) but the soundstage while it extended outside the speakers sounded small and diffuse. However, installed in the room they were designed for, they were absolutely spectacular.

View attachment 3709

After we installed them, the wife insisted that they clear the projection screen and the wings were moved another 1.5m apart. However, we still managed :)

-----That is a great & informative post Gary, thank you! :b

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
What do you do when something is dirty ?????, a good bath does wonders, yes Acoustat panels can be washed.

Acoustat Panels Bathing.jpg

After a couple of days, there just like new.

Acoustat Panel.jpg

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Tom, that might have to do with set-up. Stats are dipoles, so are Genesis, Magneplanar, etc. The set-up rules are different, and you have to be careful. It is both easier and harder at the same time to set up a pair of dipole speakers. However, I've heard Martin Logan CLS's, Maggie 20's, and large Acoustats deliver the guitar image as you desire. However, this is greatly dependent on the image that was recorded on the CD.

The problem I've found is that most owners set up their speakers in relation to the listener, instead of in relation to the room. This is more important for dipoles than the usual box speakers.

If you look carefully at the pictures posted by MrAcoustat, he has a room that has an angled wall on the right, and an open space on the left. His speakers are also set up asymmetrically which is brilliant. To handle the angled right wall, he has the speaker toe-ed out slightly. This manages the rear wave of the dipole speakers, and if I am not wrong, would give him superlative pin-point and real-sized imaging and soundstage.

The other problem with most stats has to do with integration between the midrange and the bass. How do you get a 100gm woofer cone to move at the same speed (I know bass "speed" is hugely debatable) as an almost weightless ribbon or stat? Ever since Martin Logan implemented servo-bass technology in the early 2000's the integration have been very, very much better. Other speakers have relied on a large enough radiation panel (Soundlabs, CLS, etc.).

However, with any dipole, the wrap-around cancellation frequency is an factor and no matter how wide the panel is, it is difficult to get the cancellation into the bass. Some companies - Emerald Physics being a recent notable one - managed this using digital equalization. In the Genesis 1, we manage this using a 4-foot wide wing (140Hz cancellation frequency). However, this 4-foot wide wing means that most music lovers, even if the have the money and want a pair, don't have the space for a G1. I couldn't even hope to get a pair of G1's into Steve's room which houses the Alexandria and four JL Audio subwoofers.

This guy paid for the development and engineering to shoe-horn a pair into an apartment that had only 5.2m width (but 18m length). Even though I did the re-design with narrower wings - which meant that I had to change the crossovers - I was never sure that it would be a success and could be called my flagship speaker until I had them installed.

When Amir heard them in the Genesis factory (6,000 sq.ft. no walls) they were sounding small and lightweight. The image specificity was very good (a cello that was recorded to sound cello-sized sounded cello-sized) but the soundstage while it extended outside the speakers sounded small and diffuse. However, installed in the room they were designed for, they were absolutely spectacular.

View attachment 3709

After we installed them, the wife insisted that they clear the projection screen and the wings were moved another 1.5m apart. However, we still managed :)

Hot damn, look at all that Jadis gear!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
you're a braver man than I, Charlie Brown ;)

LOL! I remember this person who had a pair of Soundlabs that developed a hole in one of the panels. Vis a vis Roger West's instructions, he glued the hole but didn't leave enough time for the glue to set. Plugged the speaker in and it caught on fire! :(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
http://www..martinloganowners.com/~...n Logan Quest Stator Panel Shower Washing.pdf

Another cold shower.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
-----Amazing Andre! :cool: ------------------------------...Bath.

Hi Bob, i have no credit what so ever all this diy work is done by my friend Jocelyn i have a few hundred photos that he as asked me not to put on the net it is very difficult for me BUT he sent me those pictures because he knows how much i love Acoustats and has asked me to keep them for myself he always answers audiophiles that need information he is in contact with Acoustat proud owners all over the world, if he doesn't have the solution to a problem he will do everything in his power to find out he like's to help Acoustat owners and as been doing this for more than 20 years i met him about 5 years ago and have become very close of course whe share the same passion BUT as diy goes i'm not very knowgledgeable.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Also one of the main issues with the back wave from any dipole is the dreaded 'haas effect'. The ear will 'integrate' the first arriving sound with an early arriving sound if the early arriving sound is within 10-15ms from the first arriving sound. This prevents the ability of the ear/brain to differentiate which is the first arriving sound and which is the first reflection. In a good concert hall in row 12 center the arrival time of the first reflection will exceed 100ms. So if your early reflection in your listening room falls below 8-10ms your soundstage goes to pot. Also early arriving sounds can affect the level of the perceived sound as well. Some people are bothered by this 'hass effect' more than others but generally most audio people feel a delay of somewhere around 8ms or more is a good place to start when setting up your speakers if image placement and focus is important to you. So in the case of the CLX's the 4 foot distance from the rear wall means about 8ms of delay in the sound bouncing of the rear wall and reaching your ears at the listening position. Sound travels at approximately 1 foot per ms so 4 feet back and 4 feet forward means a delay of 8 milliseconds from your listening position. 5 Feet would give you 10 milliseconds and so on.

Bryston review of ML CLX

Absolutely correct. But I think that if you attenuate the rear wave by 4dB to 6 dB, you reduce this problem significantly. I still avoid having the rear wall between 3ft to 6ft away. Below 3ft is OK, best to have more than 6ft between the back and the rear wall.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Sorry he does not participate in any forums, he is a full time retired Do It Yourself man, all he does is work on Acoustat's and listend's to music, his house is in Kingsbury Quebec on top of a hill his dedicated room is 19x30 x13 yes a pretty decent room.

ps: I forgot he as been building is own house for five years now, he's getting there.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sorry he does not participate in any forums, he is a full time retired Do It Yourself man, all he does is work on Acoustat's and listend's to music, his house is in Kingsbury Quebec on top of a hill his dedicated room is 19x30 x13 yes a pretty decent room.

ps: I forgot he as been building is own house for five years now, he's getting there.

-----That's too bad because a guy like that has so much to contribute in helping and informing others.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
-----That's too bad because a guy like that has so much to contribute in helping and informing others.

Hey Bob i belong to many forums and because of my moniker ( MrAcoustat ) i get lot's of private messages for Acoustat information and most of those message get rerouted to Jocelyn because when it come's to technical stuff I DON'T KNOW MUCH.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing