Genesis 1.1 VS Wilson X2 Alexandria

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I don't know if it's only me but for the difference in money Genesis 1.1 = $165,000.00 and Wilson X2 Alexandria = $148,000.00 who in is right mind would choose Wilsons i'm a panel guy and if i was rich wich is not the case my speakers would be Analisys Audio Orion & a pair of Acoustat's Spectra 6600s BUT if i had to choose between Genesis or Wilson the choice would be so easy it's not even funny i have heard the Wilson's often BUT i have NEVER heard them sound good NEVER i have heard many 20k - 30k - 40k - speakers blow them away and it wasn't even close i don't understand what's all the fuss around this speaker i guess it must be to show off the BILL it's certainly not for the way they sound and everytime it's always because they are not in an ideal condition come on they are in the same conditions as the others the only reason i see that these speakers sell it's PUBLICITY that's it just the wood in the Genesis 1.1 are worth more than the Wilson's X2 Alexandria at least to ME.

ps: Now have a look at these

Genesis 1.1.jpg

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Unfortunately, the Genesis 1.1's haven't been $165,000 for nearly 10 years now. The last time I bought a swatch of raw rosewood veneer to build a pair of G1's it cost nearly $20,000 and 3 months to track down. Real Brazilian Rosewood is becoming more expensive and hard to find even if you are willing to pay for it. The quantity and length needed makes it really tough as you can't use two different trees to build one pair of speakers.

I thought I had the solution by going to a carbon fiber finish...... unfortunately it ended up costing even more!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, MrAcoustat and since I see you are a new member? Welcome to the forum!

What is it that you like about the Genesis speakers [sound-wise] and what is it that turns you off with regards to the Wilson's [sound-wise], if you don't mind me asking?

Tom

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hello, MrAcoustat and since I see you are a new member? Welcome to the forum!

What is it that you like about the Genesis speakers [sound-wise] and what is it that turns you off with regards to the Wilson's [sound-wise], if you don't mind me asking?

Tom

Hi Tom i have not had the chance to listend to the Genesis 1.1 the closest was the older Infinity IRS in the 80s as for the Wilson's i knew someone in Montreal that owned a pair and had a chance to listend to them a couple of times at shows and at the dealer they sounded very boomy everytime i listend to them and there was always an excuse probably had something to do with the room because for that kind of money there shouldn't be any excuses of not playing good my 1984 Acoustat's cost me 3k but to me and many of my friends they put 10k speakers to shame.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How much do you think you would charge for a pair of Genesis 1.1's now, Gary?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Unfortunately, the Genesis 1.1's haven't been $165,000 for nearly 10 years now. The last time I bought a swatch of raw rosewood veneer to build a pair of G1's it cost nearly $20,000 and 3 months to track down. Real Brazilian Rosewood is becoming more expensive and hard to find even if you are willing to pay for it. The quantity and length needed makes it really tough as you can't use two different trees to build one pair of speakers.

I thought I had the solution by going to a carbon fiber finish...... unfortunately it ended up costing even more!

As well the X-2 s now $165K

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hi Tom i have not had the chance to listend to the Genesis 1.1 the closest was the older Infinity IRS in the 80s as for the Wilson's i knew someone in Montreal that owned a pair and had a chance to listend to them a couple of times at shows and at the dealer they sounded very boomy everytime i listend to them and there was always an excuse probably had something to do with the room because for that kind of money there shouldn't be any excuses of not playing good my 1984 Acoustat's cost me 3k but to me and many of my friends they put 10k speakers to shame.
First off, thank you for answering. All due respect [and I do mean all due respect, as I do not know you or your background] but I am surprised that you would mention something about the bass and not something else. You are also referring to a different speaker altogether, not to mention, one that you heard at or about 30 years ago. Now, I must admit. I have not listened to a set of Genesis speakers for about the same time but I do not remember any overponderance of bass, let alone "boomy" bass". The room I listened to it in was "L" shaped and not the best of acoustic environments at the time. It was the best I have heard at that time and 'till this day, I still have fond memories of my observations of that particular system. Even with my observations since then.

Another thing you have to remember is that an excuse, may be just that. Even if you go to an audio show today, you may not have the best sound that is available. I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your system though. With some, it doesn't matter what they have. They still are unhappy. For that? I'm happy for you.

Enjoy the music, MrA.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
First off, thank you for answering. All due respect [and I do mean all due respect, as I do not know you or your background] but I am surprised that you would mention something about the bass and not something else. You are also referring to a different speaker altogether, not to mention, one that you heard at or about 30 years ago. Now, I must admit. I have not listened to a set of Genesis speakers for about the same time but I do not remember any overponderance of bass, let alone "boomy" bass". The room I listened to it in was "L" shaped and not the best of acoustic environments at the time. It was the best I have heard at that time and 'till this day, I still have fond memories of my observations of that particular system. Even with my observations since then.

Another thing you have to remember is that an excuse, may be just that. Even if you go to an audio show today, you may not have the best sound that is available. I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your system though. With some, it doesn't matter what they have. They still are unhappy. For that? I'm happy for you.

Enjoy the music, MrA.

Like any ne plus speaker, the IRS/Wilson/Genesis are extremely dependent upon the room acoustics. I've heard midbass suckouts and great low bass in IRSs, boomy bass, and really tight and defined low end. All in different rooms and different equipment. And an inch or two in the placement of the woofer towers (like also with the RS1bs) makes all the difference in the world with the bass response. (and we're not talking even about upgrading the servo on the speakers.)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
How much do you think you would charge for a pair of Genesis 1.1's now, Gary?

The Genesis 1.1 was the previous model. The current model is the Genesis 1.2 and they retail for $300,000. An uprated carbon fiber "Dragon" edition is $350,000. Prices are correct as of April 2013.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now, I must admit. I have not listened to a set of Genesis speakers for about the same time but I do not remember any overponderance of bass, let alone "boomy" bass". The room I listened to it in was "L" shaped and not the best of acoustic environments at the time. It was the best I have heard at that time and 'till this day, I still have fond memories of my observations of that particular system. Even with my observations since then.

That's probably because the bass in any Genesis loudspeaker is almost infinitely variable. With the Genesis 1, you can adjust bass level, phase (in 5 degree steps), low-pass and high-pass. In an "L" shaped room, you can also adjust left and right bass independently.

It's a double-edge sword. I've also heard systems that were adjusted to probably the worst settings possible......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
And an inch or two in the placement of the woofer towers (like also with the RS1bs) makes all the difference in the world with the bass response. (and we're not talking even about upgrading the servo on the speakers.)

That's true of all the older systems. What's surprising to most people is that the 7-foot tall bass tower of the Genesis 1 is a POINT source, and not a line source. The older woofer towers had only woofers on the face. This resulted in a strange radiation pattern. With the G1.2, I put woofers on the back as well (a 7-foot woofer tower with twelve 12-inch woofers!!) and this made it easier to place in the room. Now, a couple of inches or up to a couple of feet made a lot less of a difference, and integration with the midrange is much easier.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have to admit those Genesis speakers are right up there with Sonus Faber for the beauty contest winners, with the Genesis having that bit of IRS retro thing going on as well. Hope to hear them someday.

It is kind of funny that MrAcoustat comes in dissing the big Alexandrias when they are the speakers of one of the WBF's founders and a couple of others. Honesty can hurt, I guess.

I like and prefer planars (Analysis Epsilon), too, but in large rooms with good electronics the Alexandrias really can sound exceptional. Never did cotton to the smaller Wilsons, however.

Acoustats, by reputation, are way up there in sound quality with many audiophiles who have resurrected them. A few guys even claim that nothing can touch stacked Acoustats.

I wouldn't know, have never heard them.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is kind of funny that MrAcoustat comes in dissing the big Alexandrias when they are the speakers of one of the WBF's founders and a couple of others. Honesty can hurt, I guess.
I don't think our status of WBF founders gives us any kind of pass with respect to criticism :). I know Steve takes it in strides and so do I. Having heard Gary's speakers and that of Steve, I personally have nothing to say. Otherwise, I *can* get in trouble. :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's true of all the older systems. What's surprising to most people is that the 7-foot tall bass tower of the Genesis 1 is a POINT source, and not a line source. The older woofer towers had only woofers on the face. This resulted in a strange radiation pattern. With the G1.2, I put woofers on the back as well (a 7-foot woofer tower with twelve 12-inch woofers!!) and this made it easier to place in the room. Now, a couple of inches or up to a couple of feet made a lot less of a difference, and integration with the midrange is much easier.

Thanks for that info Gary. Sure is useful!

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Dynaudio Consequence Ultimate Edition.jpg
I don't think our status of WBF founders gives us any kind of pass with respect to criticism :). I know Steve takes it in strides and so do I. Having heard Gary's speakers and that of Steve, I personally have nothing to say. Otherwise, I *can* get in trouble. :D

Hi i just want to make myself clear, whe all have gear that whe like and dislike for ME i never liked Wilson's but that is only MY opinion i don't think that the Alexandria's are worth 165k but if somebody else think's so it's their choice & money i'm a stat man if i was goig to spend big money on a BOX SPEAKER this would be it and it's very very far from the price of the Wilsons Alexandria's and for ME they look & sound much better, i did say for ME and yes i heard both.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Next time I'm in the SFO area, I'll make it a point to visit Steve. However, I have heard the Alexandrias sound very, very good. None of us are above criticism. All I can say is that the two speakers are so different that direct comparisons are quite meaningless. They will not work the same in any given room, one being a point source and the other being a dipole line source.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
So what is your biggest gripe about boxed speakers, if you don't mind me asking MrA?

It seems that the deficiencies are so severe that you would not even consider ever enjoying them at this point. If I am reading into this incorrectly, please forgive me.

Tom

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So what is your biggest gripe about boxed speakers, if you don't mind me asking MrA?

It seems that the deficiencies are so severe that you would not even consider ever enjoying them at this point. If I am reading into this incorrectly, please forgive me.

Tom

Uh Tom, I think you are talking to a diehard stat owner :) (while I certainly can appreciate a box speaker, there's nothing to my ears like those panels.) Like tape, when you hear a well set up pair of electrostatics, it's hard to go back to box speakers. YMMV. That is unless you're Harman. Then stats stink.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing