Talking with Alon Wolf

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
At THE Show in Newport Beach, I had the pleasure of an interesting discussion with Alon Wolf of Magico fame.

Alon was present at the room featuring his new S5 speakers and using the impressive Constellation gear.
As I walked into the room, he noticed that I had just left the contiguous suite featuring the Wilson Sasha's as displayed by Brooks Berdan and utilizing the DCS gear and VTL amps. The front end of Berdan's system consisted of a mix of DCS for digital and the Black Diamond racing TT. Alon asked me what I felt of the sound, which IMO was the best that I heard at the show up till then. When I told him that I thought that the Sasha's were sounding great, he told me that he was going to check them out for himself and asked me to revisit his room in about 30 minutes.
When I returned ( and after having heard his room) the conversation went like this:

Alon: I can't believe you liked that room so much!
Me: Come on Alon, it sounds exceptional
Alon: Our room is much better in my opinion and no comparison.
Me: Laughs, Come on That's a little biased.
Alon: I know, I'm just kidding, it is good, BUT I still think we are better.
Me: Alon, I know you play classical guitar and you are an accomplished musician, i too play this instrument and wanted to ask you about where you think your speaker's sound is in relation to the real instrument.
Alon. ( Now very peaked) That's a very easy question to answer, we are NOT even close to being able to reproduce this sound. NOT close.
Me: Why do you think that is?
Alon: Well, there are several reasons, but one has to remember that the sound that the speaker gets to reproduce is far along a chain of reproduction that has multiple levels of drop-off and error. Many links on the chain that are subtractive and reduce the possibility of accurate reproduction. Plus, real instruments are immensely dynamic and I don't think speakers can really get that aspect too well. Our Big Magico horn system ( he told me the name and I cannot remember) or Q7's come about as close as possible and they still aren't up to the task.

Me: That's very interesting, so the ability to move air is important.
Alon: Yes, what do you think of our new S5 speaker's, they have a different representation in the bass than our Q3's
Me: I think the new S5's are more "robust"
Alon: That's a good description, Laughs. The Q3's are more accurate but put out less quantity.
Me: You know your speaker's have been accused of being "analytical" in the past?
Alon: No, that's not correct ....Sorry, Yes, they are "analytical"...how do you understand "analytical"?

Me: "analytical" in the sense of"?

Alon: I do like this subject of "how far have we to go in regards to getting the sound of real instruments"
Me: I have demonstrated on numerous occasions the difference between my 'live' guitar and the reproduced and there is no comparison.
Alon: It cannot be even close, like I said, many issues and reasons-- electronics, wires, engineers and on and on.
At this point Jay Kaufman of Audio revelations interrupts and tells Alon he needs to talk business with him. Alon, turns back to me and says that he enjoys this type of conversation and wants to continue, BUT Jay is having none of it, and asks me to leave...since I have known Jay for several years, I agree and end the conversation.
What I do have to say about Alon, is that he is a VERY strong defender of his line ( as he should be) and a very thoughtful man, devoted to his craft and IMHO a MAJOR benefit to the high end community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Protegimus

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the write up. It is comforting that industry person says we can't reproduce live events.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Great write up. I believe Wolf is brilliant and has pushed the envelope. It is a shame his speakers can only be enjoyed
by the most fortunate among us.

But from personal experience, I know him to be a superb conversationalist and someone who believes in facts and science, and that
is how he goes about designing his products.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I really enjoyed meeting Alon at the TWBAS event. He was very kind and loved to talk audio. The man is very detail oriented. He discussed in detail the type of materials he uses in all of his products and why he chooses certain vendors to buy from. The process is extremely time consuming and expensive, but he puts in the time and money to produce the best product he can. He is extremely passionate about audio and this comes through when he talks about it. He has strong opinions based on his extensive experience and he will defend his opinions. He was respectful of his competitors, but he believes his product is superior. I liked that about him very much. I have been very lucky to get to know him and Andy Payor of Rockport. These guys are at the top of their game right now. Jeff will get the Avior within the next month and I cannot wait to hear it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Randall, this wasn't the first time I have had a conversation with Alon. The last time, we talked about the fact that in his opinion, there is no art required in the design or manufacturer of a great speaker; ONLY science. I'm not so sure I totally agree with him, but do completely understand where he is coming from.
Alon is nothing IF not passionate and detail orientated, as you point out. I greatly enjoy talking to him and respect his intellect.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
After reading this thread, I'm left with two thoughts.

First, Mr.Kaufman is someone to avoid.

Second, Alon is still chasing the market leader Wilson Audio.

It's very obvious that the S5 was created to compete with the Sashas at that price
point...bass presentation, color options,etc...the Sashas still owns that price point.
I'll bet more Sashas have been sold than the entire Magico product line.

So now the next price point is the Q3, I think Wilson will address this with a new model and once again out sell Magico.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Agree somewhat...but...

I agree with your premise about Magico chasing Wilson. and the S5, now that I think about it,
is designed to compete with the Sasha.

But let's not forget, that in around 6 years, Magico has penetrated the market to a degree that is quite shocking. Wilson has had 2 decades to get to their position, and their was plenty of backlash
along the way.

After reading this thread, I'm left with two thoughts.

First, Mr.Kaufman is someone to avoid.

Second, Alon is still chasing the market leader Wilson Audio.

It's very obvious that the S5 was created to compete with the Sashas at that price
point...bass presentation, color options,etc...the Sashas still owns that price point.
I'll bet more Sashas have been sold than the entire Magico product line.

So now the next price point is the Q3, I think Wilson will address this with a new model and once again out sell Magico.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Since when are the amounts of products going over the counter of interest? I thought only quality matters...silly me ;) B&W sell a lot too...do I have to explain my last remark :p ?

I agree with your premise about Magico chasing Wilson. and the S5, now that I think about it,
is designed to compete with the Sasha.

But let's not forget, that in around 6 years, Magico has penetrated the market to a degree that is quite shocking. Wilson has had 2 decades to get to their position, and their was plenty of backlash
along the way.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the write up. It is comforting that industry person says we can't reproduce live events.

It may be comforting from the fact that he is stating the obvious and is not trying to convince us that Magico has pulled a live rabbit out of their audio hat, but it is still disconcerting to know how far away we are from truly capturing and reproducing the sound of instruments being played live.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
I'm not so sure Wilson is the "market leader." In their own mind, perhaps, but there are a lot of amazing speakers these days in the same price point,
and a number of them very successful. Magico has certainly made a big splash with a very well engineered and executed product. Focal, Verity, Sonus Faber
are just a few that come to mind that are easily the equal of Wilson in performance and along with Magico, all four are more aesthetically intriguing.

It doesn't mean Wilson is any less impressive than they've always been, it's just that they have some very serious competitors these days, all making
top notch products. 15 years ago, Wilson owned the top rung of the big speaker world. I'd say the neighborhood has expanded a LOT. And there's a
high probability you might enjoy one of these competitors more.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I am surprised that here in the US B&W is not a much appreciated brand :confused:
In Italy, being significantly less expensive than Wilson or Magico, they sell quite a lot. Notwithstanding, my listening sessions were more convincing with Wilson or Magico, rather than B&W: the 802D is a wonderful speaker, but what you may save on the cost of the speaker would be automatically re-directed on the amplification, as they're very very tough to be driven with authority.

Focal made his reference line even more upscale than the precedent Utopia series. I've just listened to the Grand Utopia III, and they are top-notch (in price too).
I'm sure than if the Focal Maestro were selling for the same price as the B&W 800D they would be a super success.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
True, Focal starts at $495/pair (705V). ...And B&W at $650/pair (685). ...For good ones. :b

PSB, Paradigm, Totem, also have good inexpensive ones. :b

Magico?

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010
point....[/QUOTE]

And the sudden death of WP8 and the introduction of the Sasha at $27K was not a reaction to Magico's V3?

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
I am surprised that here in the US B&W is not a much appreciated brand :confused:
In Italy, being significantly less expensive than Wilson or Magico, they sell quite a lot. Notwithstanding, my listening sessions were more convincing with Wilson or Magico, rather than B&W: the 802D is a wonderful speaker, but what you may save on the cost of the speaker would be automatically re-directed on the amplification, as they're very very tough to be driven with authority.

Focal made is reference line even more upscale than the precedent Utopia series. I've just listened to the Grand Utopia III, and they are top-notch (in price too).
I'm sure than if the Focal Maestro were selling for the same price as the B&W 800D they would be a super success.

I have a pair of 802 Diamonds and I agree with you. They are excellent speakers for the money. A little bit of amplifier matching is required, but they give great results!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Competition drives forward technologie
Although i would like to see some other design idea to set air into motion producing sound, than the milked out cone box designs although they can be quite satisfing.

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The best in this field (unbelievable loudspeakers for real money) is KEF. But, alas, they are not taken seriously (even though the 207/2 was loudspeaker of the year in Stereophile) but the "real audiophiles". ;)

True, Focal starts at $495/pair (705V). ...And B&W at $650/pair (685). ...For good ones. :b

PSB, Paradigm, Totem, also have good inexpensive ones. :b

Magico?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing