"It's hell getting old!"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That was the line my late grandfather in law, may he rest in peace, would say often as he lived to his 90s. "It is hell getting old...."

A few days ago I was preparing a wav file that represents the jitter test signal: J-Test. This is an 12 Khz tone that has a tiny squarewave riding on it. I googled and googled forever and it was near impossible to find this test file! You would think this test file is on some file server but no. Eventually I find a program that generates it. Alas, the program was compiled long time ago and would not run on my Windows 7 machine even in compatibility mode. The source code was provided but it would not compile in recent versions of Visual Studio (program development tool from Microsoft).

After a day of debugging, I finally get it working. I double click on the media player and it accepted the file and started to play it on my laptop. I could not hear it at the default volume so I pull it into my audio editing app and see the waveform is there. With lots of joy, I burn a CD and go and test it with my analyzer in my lab downstairs.

Then my 19 year old son shows up worried saying, "Dad, the hot water heater alarm has gone off." I have this moisture detection alarm in our HVAC room where it has saved our bacon multiple times by going off when it detected leaks. So I rush there and open the door. There is no water. And I do not hear the alarm. I ask my son what he was talking about. He says he is still hearing the same kind of tone.

I go upstairs and my wife says she is is also hearing it. Of course I hear nothing. We start to search the house to see what alarm may have gotten off. Right then both say it stopped. Then I remember that the test CD I had built had 10 copies of the one minute J-test track so it would have been running for 10 minutes on my laptop in the living room and then stop. I start the player again and both say they can hear the high pitch sound. Well, I could not at all. But at least the mystery was solved.

Mind you, this is from my laptop with tiny speakers and at some low level. So likely I can still hear 12 Khz. But boy, compared to them I am pretty deaf. It sure is hell getting old....." :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
meanwhile .. we audiophiles, here on the WBF, most of us here in your age category are fussing over response above 20 KHz ... :rolleyes:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
That was the line my late grandfather in law, may he rest in peace, would say often as he lived to his 90s. "It is hell getting old...."

A few days ago I was preparing a wav file that represents the jitter test signal: J-Test. This is an 12 Khz tone that has a tiny squarewave riding on it. I googled and googled forever and it was near impossible to find this test file! You would think this test file is on some file server but no. Eventually I find a program that generates it. Alas, the program was compiled long time ago and would not run on my Windows 7 machine even in compatibility mode. The source code was provided but it would not compile in recent versions of Visual Studio (program development tool from Microsoft).

After a day of debugging, I finally get it working. I double click on the media player and it accepted the file and started to play it on my laptop. I could not hear it at the default volume so I pull it into my audio editing app and see the waveform is there. With lots of joy, I burn a CD and go and test it with my analyzer in my lab downstairs.

Then my 19 year old son shows up worried saying, "Dad, the hot water heater alarm has gone off." I have this moisture detection alarm in our HVAC room where it has saved our bacon multiple times by going off when it detected leaks. So I rush there and open the door. There is no water. And I do not hear the alarm. I ask my son what he was talking about. He says he is still hearing the same kind of tone.

I go upstairs and my wife says she is is also hearing it. Of course I hear nothing. We start to search the house to see what alarm may have gotten off. Right then both say it stopped. Then I remember that the test CD I had built had 10 copies of the one minute J-test track so it would have been running for 10 minutes on my laptop in the living room and then stop. I start the player again and both say they can hear the high pitch sound. Well, I could not at all. But at least the mystery was solved.

Mind you, this is from my laptop with tiny speakers and at some low level. So likely I can still hear 12 Khz. But boy, compared to them I am pretty deaf. It sure is hell getting old....." :)

I'm sure that you're other senses compensate for the one's deficiencies, amirm! :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It reminds me of a few lines from the classic movie "Christmas Vacation.......

Aunt Bethany: What's that sound? You hear it? It's a funny squeaky sound.
Uncle Lewis: You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
If that's the worst of your complaints about getting old, you're lucky.
What about the automatic moan or grunt that emanates very time you stand up :) When it starts to become a little gaseous escape then you're getting really old :)
What about the migration of hair from your head to your ears & nose :)
What about the trousers that you search out which has expandable waist bands :)
And if these are the worst complaints you have then you're also lucky :)

BTW, don't spend too much time agonising over the audibility of single tone test signals - there's a lot more to music reproduction & I often wonder how much of the performance is being missed by those who can't hear above 12Khz - I bet it's a tiny fraction, if any at all!

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I'll say....... this will be the second week spending most of the time on my back. It's hell getting old :(

Sciatic nerve trouble? Sorry to hear, wish you a speedy recovery

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sciatic nerve trouble? Sorry to hear, wish you a speedy recovery

Yes - sounds like it's quite a common problem with getting old. Thanks for the good wishes. This week I'm well enough to lean up and work on a laptop in bed :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You're fine, Amir. Not much information up there in most recordings and what is there doesn't matter much. So unless you're worried about hearing test tones, you're probably good.

Tim

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yes - sounds like it's quite a common problem with getting old. Thanks for the good wishes. This week I'm well enough to lean up and work on a laptop in bed :)

Yep, I can trace mine to something I did 17 years ago but in the last 10 years it gives me a lot of problems.
I have found that staying hydrated helps a lot i.e drink plenty of water! Of course the magic tablets have to be resorted to every now & then but less so in the last number of years.

Another one of the issues of getting old - opening packaging is a nightmare & reading instructions comprising of black lettering on red backgrounds :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Glad you're feeling better Gary! I know all about the pain and discomfort having had to live with it for the last 25 or so years. I slipped and fell on my back coming down the front steps of my porch. Hit the corner of the top step about one inch left of the centre of my lower spine. I haven't been the same since.

Stay safe and be well my friend!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yes - sounds like it's quite a common problem with getting old.
Not necessarily. I had significant sciatica since I was a young man and it resulted in great pain and some muscle wasting until I signed on for physical therapy. I had resisted this for years but, damn, it worked and I have not had a recurrence in more than 10 years. Getting older doesn't suck (although one has to consider the options in context).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
"If only I knew then what I know now, if only I could do now what I could do then." Anonymous.

There are trade-offs - hopefully, being wiser we do less physically. But I didn't follow my own advice to take it easy, and that resulted in my missing one of my bucket list items - watching the Monaco Grand Prix live.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
"If only I knew then what I know now, if only I could do now what I could do then." Anonymous.

There are trade-offs - hopefully, being wiser we do less physically. But I didn't follow my own advice to take it easy, and that resulted in my missing one of my bucket list items - watching the Monaco Grand Prix live.

Thats a great idea for a fun thread!

And unless the Monaco Grand prix is cancelled you could still make it! Never say, never!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Getting old is just annoying. Death is hell.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing