Three versions of Oppo players compared

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm hoping to secure the Oppo BDP-83SE by year's end, although it has been suggested to me that I should look into the NuForce edition. While I have no doubt that in a very revealing system the NuForce may be a slightly better choice for "audio" as opposed to the standard 83SE, I don't believe the additional $400 expenditure makes up for it. I read the comparison and it seems to me that the differences are slight...therefore, are they even "audible" for someone with less than a reference system?

John

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I use my system predominantly for 2 channel audio, but about 25-33% of the time for watching BD's. It is my experience that BD players do a much better job reproducing audio for BD's than Redbook. Given the trend towards servers and my post-divorce audio rebuild scenario, I do not want to put a ton of money in a Redbook/SACD only player.

From what I have read, the Mod Wright modified Oppo is something to behold, for Redbook, SACD and BD, but I have never heard one and do not know anyone who has heard one in a decent system.

Also, if you have direct knowledge and know something about the balanced output mod from Mod Wright and its benefits, versus the looses by not being able to mod the sub output due to board and dac reallocation for the balanced outs, I would love to hear your thoughts.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Interesting reviews, both of them. Objectively I doubt I would hear the difference between -100 dBFS and -80 dBFS spurs, but who knows? Sounds like Kal did a decent job of picking them out from listening tests. I have the standard 83, and a friend bought the 83SE. I decided I didn't want to put that much into a BD player, and planned to use HDMI for everything. We've been meaning to do some comparison listening but haven't had the time yet. We both have decent though not great systems by today's standards -- Pioneer SC-27, Emotiva amps, but he has B&W 803D's for mains while I am using my old Magnepan MG-IIIa's. He has a much bigger room, but mine is treated and better calibrated (for now; he is planning treatment in the near future).

I did swap between HDMI and analog outputs using my previous (and still running, but upstairs now) Sony BD player (350) but could never convince myself I heard a real difference either way. I have not compared that Sony to my Oppo 83, nor tried comparing HDMI and analog outputs from the 83.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I didn't want to start a new thread, as I don't think it's necessary, but Blu-ray.com is reporting that they have learned from some solid sources that the BDP-80 will be discontinued due to poor sales. Just thought I'd pass it on in case someone was considering this model for a purchase.

John

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Surprised to hear poor sales for the 80. Guess that people who go to Oppo are interested in mid to high end. And/or why buy the 80 when you can get a Panasonic or LG for less than $200. Neither here nor there maybe.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Both Reviews are consistent with my findings on trying the plain Oppo with the Nuforce model (I did not try the SE), and sounds logical due to he many minor but important upgrades that the Nuforce version has implemented in the stock unit.

My player serves me first to play BRD on a 2CH HT I have installed in my room, secondly as an option for my Digital Server (iMac based) for easy to play CDs on the run and in the future to try SACD as an option for just Classical enjoyment.

For the first two use-cases I use the toslink output to feed a Reimyo DAC, for SACD I go thru the analog output of the Oppo.

Thanks for sharing this reviews.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Both Reviews are consistent with my findings on trying the plain Oppo with the Nuforce model (I did not try the SE), and sounds logical due to he many minor but important upgrades that the Nuforce version has implemented in the stock unit.

My player serves me first to play BRD on a 2CH HT I have installed in my room, secondly as an option for my Digital Server (iMac based) for easy to play CDs on the run and in the future to try SACD as an option for just Classical enjoyment.

For the first two use-cases I use the toslink output to feed a Reimyo DAC, for SACD I go thru the analog output of the Oppo.

Thanks for sharing this reviews.

Then there's the upgrade of the upgrades:

http://www.upgradecompany.com/sales.php

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Then there's the upgrade of the upgrades:

http://www.upgradecompany.com/sales.php

Without getting into a debate or confrontation, I have one of these in my system. I use the unit for mutltichannel Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-A through HDMI to my Onkyo 885 Pre/Pro. For stereo SACD and DVD-A I run special RCA to XLR cables into my ARC LS10. Additionally rather than my CD transport I can run CDs through it with my DAC as well.

Rich

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Without getting into a debate or confrontation, I have one of these in my system. I use the unit for mutltichannel Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-A through HDMI to my Onkyo 885 Pre/Pro. For stereo SACD and DVD-A I run special RCA to XLR cables into my ARC LS10. Additionally rather than my CD transport I can run CDs through it with my DAC as well.

Rich

I meant no insult to the Upgrade Company or purchasers of that company's products/upgrades. I was just alerting everyone of the possible additional upward mobility of this design. Are you pleased, or embarrassed to have spent the extra money? We (or at least I) would like to know the details. I own the BDP-83SE myself, in addition to the PS Audio Perfect Wave Pair.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Titanic thread here, complete with photos of the "mods", testimonials pro and con, and the usual silliness endemic to that forum. Caveat emptor.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Titanic thread here, complete with photos of the "mods", testimonials pro and con, and the usual silliness endemic to that forum. Caveat emptor.

Has anyone taken before and after measurements

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I meant no insult to the Upgrade Company or purchasers of that company's products/upgrades. I was just alerting everyone of the possible additional upward mobility of this design. Are you pleased, or embarrassed to have spent the extra money? We (or at least I) would like to know the details. I own the BDP-83SE myself, in addition to the PS Audio Perfect Wave Pair.

Hi Tom,

I have been quite pleased with the performance and the results. I have been asked though that anyone interested in these products to take this to PMs.

Rich

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I have both the stock BDP-83 and the stock BDP-83SE. I bought the SE before becoming aware of the NuForce version. The analog out of the SE sounds better in my system than that of the standard 83 when the analog outs are both fed into my stock TacT RSC 2.2XP for A/D conversion, then out of the TacT digital outputs at 24/96, and on to the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC for D/A conversion in "native" mode. The video quality and digital out quality of the stock 83 and stock 83SE units seems similar, as claimed by Oppo.

I have no experience with The Upgrade Company modifications of any equipment, Oppo or otherwise.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve,

Several of us with machines had offered ours for comparison to stock units for measirements and auditions, but no one took us up on the offers.

Rich

I am just curious as to why TUC does not provide before and after measurements???

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing