Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Periphery Outer Ring Clamps

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post

The plus that isn't talked about much……go to town with huge discounts on warped but otherwise NM records. That's what I did!
    Funny you should write this. Just two weeks ago I bought a notoriously difficult to track solo piano LP, even without a warp. It had been listed for $45. Then the seller refunded my payment and explained he found a severe edge warp that his own turntable/arm/cart. could not track so he did not want to sell it and risk the negative feedback. I really wanted the LP, which was in otherwise NM condition, so he offered to sell it to me for $13.50 including shipping. I took a chance and I'm glad I did. My table, with center clamp but no ring clamp, tracks it fine with no issues as long as the stylus gets in the lead in grove before the music starts. I saved a bunch of money on an otherwise great LP. The center clamp certainly helps and some arm/cartridge combinations do better than others.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Don't you love it when that happens Peter?
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Last edited by Garth; 12-14-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    I use the centre weight and a ring clamp and it does make it sound better. I use a clear audio clamp and ring on a clear audio table. The better the record bonds with the table 9 times out 10 you get better sound if not 10 out of 10. I do not play a record without the ring clamp unless it is a smaller the 12 inch record. I am no expert and that is just IMO.
    I agree completely with the bold sentence, but then there are members here who have smooth copper (or other metal) platters and don't use any clamps, weights or rings. And they prefer that sound. I suppose there is enough of a bond between the lp and the smooth metal platter that the record does not slip with groove friction.
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I agree completely with the bold sentence, but then there are members here who have smooth copper (or other metal) platters and don't use any clamps, weights or rings. And they prefer that sound. I suppose there is enough of a bond between the lp and the smooth metal platter that the record does not slip with groove friction.
    Bottom line. When you have edge warp, you can expect inconsistent VTA, VTF for the first 2-3" in, which will affect sound reproduction. The flatter the record the better. That whole concept of Dre's anal microscopy SRA is usless if the record is not flat, let alone the same thickness as originally calibrated record after record.
    Christian

System Gear

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I was one of those guys. Still great sound. No doubt about that. I just like the more solidly coupled thang better.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    Bottom line. When you have edge warp, you can expect inconsistent VTA, VTF for the first 2-3" in, which will affect sound reproduction. The flatter the record the better. That whole concept of Dre's anal microscopy SRA is usless if the record is not flat, let alone the same thickness as originally calibrated record after record.
    Yes, no doubt about that. Does Dre advocate adjusting SRA for each LP? Not many people do that. I do and it is clearly audible.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Yes, no doubt about that. Does Dre advocate adjusting SRA for each LP? Not many people do that. I do and it is clearly audible.
    It would drive me crazy! How much adjusting are you doing?
    Speakers: The Sonus Faber (Fenice); Amplifier: Pass Labs Xs300; Preamp: ARC Ref 10; Phono Pre: ARC Ref 10 Phono; Analog: TechDAS Air Force 2, Graham 10" Elite Arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Koetsu Coralstone Platinum; Digital: Esoteric Grandioso K1; Cables: Nordost Odin; Power Conditioning: Torus 90A Wall Mount Panel, Furutech NCF outlets; Equipment Rack: HRS MXR, SRA Ohio-Class XL Plus isoBase; Room Treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Stillpoints Apertures

Quote Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
    It would drive me crazy! How much adjusting are you doing?
    Hello Frank. You asked me a very similar question before and I wrote a fairly lengthy response in my system thread. Post #38:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...me-Sound/page4

Basically, it takes me about 20-30 seconds to raise and lower my VTA on the SME V-12. Each LP has one of five settings ranging in 0.5mm increments between 16mm-18mm. (ie. 16, 16.5, 17, 17.5, 18mm) I measure from the top of the arm board to the bottom of the arm rest structure using the mm scale on the sides of the SME paper protractor. I would like to find a set of metal gauges at these thicknesses to set the arm quicker and more precisely.

These ideal VTA settings, and resulting SRAs, are specific for my two cartridges and for each LP. I tend to listen to a few LPs, at say 17mm, and then move the VTA up or down a bit to then play an LP at 16.5 or 18mm. It is not a big deal. My friends watch me do it and it makes a clear audible difference. I find it well worth it, but others certainly do not. Some people have VTA on the fly arms and they do it also for different thickness LPs, but I have found that it does not depend on the LP thickness but rather on the original cutting head SRA which I am trying to match by ear.

Sorry for the side track (pun). Back to the original topic of periphery rings and record warps. Playing a warped record does effect VTA/SRA and VTF as the arm is forced to track the warp. Most of my LPs are flat and the few that are not are dealt with fairly effectively by the SME screw down clamp and spindle washer system which raises the record at the center and then flattens it against the soft, grooved platter as the clamp is tightened. There is almost no need to use a periphery ring on the SME tables.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Last edited by Garth; 12-14-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast