Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Periphery Outer Ring Clamps

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Listen to it more Jay! What clamp are you using with the ring clamp?
    Myles,
    I did some more listening with the ring and could hear the difference it made, now you are saying that the clamp makes a difference as well???

Jay

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmusic View Post
    Myles,
    I did some more listening with the ring and could hear the difference it made, now you are saying that the clamp makes a difference as well???

Jay
    Quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Quite a difference.
    Myles which ones do you recomend???

Jay

I have the VPI Classic Table with the HRX Center Weight, my next upgrade is the periphery ring clamp. I was wondering if I should consider the TTWeights outer rings. I know better records.com recommends TTWeights, they said they like the sound better.

Joe
    Last edited by joe1515; 08-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.

It's been along time now but, getting back to this I have now had both the SS Clamp and outer Ring for quite a while. There is a noticable difference in sound quality when using both of these.

I don't have a periphery ring, but I did experiment with center clamps on my VPI a while ago.

basic 2 piece VPI clamp - nothing special, does the job
    1 piece VPI Delrin - this is the one I prefer and have been using for quite some time
    Bren1 - better than the 2 piece, but I hear a bit of smearing compared to the Delrin
    TTweights - similar to the Bren but a bit more added weight to the bottom end

I haven't tried the heavier VPI clamps. Overall I think the 1 piece Delrin clamps the vinyl to the platter better than a plain heavy-weight does, at least that's my theory based on what I heard.
    Veni, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

silly advice when one consider the "big" tradeoffs ...

too big in my experience ...

But I consider the use of either vacuum or ring clamps an absolute necessity for a turntable. There are clearly tradeoffs between the two approaches; Harry Weisfeld once told me that the ring clamp gives better bass while vacuum gives better upper octaves.
    Ring clamps may in fact help better couple a LP to a platter, especially with non-LPs ... but consider the problem ... even if the manufacturing of these ring-clamps can consistently produce perfectly balanced rings, it's still near-impossible to achieve proper platter balance during ACTUAL setup (placing ring on & off the platter will change the balance every time). Some may consider a small amount of platter balance error inconsequential, but from what I've experienced, they'd be mistaken, especially with heavier platters. And consider another scenario, the extra weight w/non-balance rotation may cause premature bearing wear ... at the very least, additional bearing noise.(*)

Vacuum platters may offer even bigger "tradeoffs". Vacuum platters must seal the entire LP to the platter or noise will occur. And certain bearing designs w/vacuum players are compromised affairs.

So ... neither can be considered even remotely close to "an absolute necessity", as proven by countless traditional designs.

tb1

ps*) the additional extra weight may also cause the motor to produce additional torque, which means far greater potential additional noise. Add that to the additional potential bearing noise, and the sonic "trade-off" becomes that much costlier.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    I have found no tradeoffs vacuum (TechDAS) which is the best vacuum implementation to date with no ripple and the outer ring on my CA master Innovation. Not worried about bearing wear on a ceramic magnetic bearing that levitates the platter. Of course some table designs may not be a good match for outer rings.
    Christian

System Gear

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Same here with my Air Force One's VHD and formerly my HRX's PR. The only problem with the HRX's ring was I almost dropped it on my toe. That would have been a disaster. It left a nasty dent on the hardwood floor.

The plus that isn't talked about much……go to town with huge discounts on warped but otherwise NM records. That's what I did!

Personally, whenever I see how steady the cartridge is when tracking and hearing the effects of a suspension working on a "road" as perfect as can be hoped, there is no going back for me. Imagine all the output potential wasted on LF oscillations. Subjectively, engaging VHD is like growing extra 10ths of a millivolt on my MC carts.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Same here with my Air Force One's VHD and formerly my HRX's PR. The only problem with the HRX's ring was I almost dropped it on my toe. That would have been a disaster. It left a nasty dent on the hardwood floor.

The plus that isn't talked about much……go to town with huge discounts on warped but otherwise NM records. That's what I did!

Personally, whenever I see how steady the cartridge is when tracking and hearing the effects of a suspension working on a "road" as perfect as can be hoped, there is no going back for me. Imagine all the output potential wasted on LF oscillations. Subjectively, engaging VHD is like growing extra 10ths of a millivolt on my MC carts.
    Totally agree.
    Christian

System Gear

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast