Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Periphery Outer Ring Clamps

Peter, Never did a speed test when I used the HRX ring. I was using it on a VPI Classic 1 a few years ago. Only used it for about a month at most.
    Last edited by audioarcher; 02-19-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    If it melted the record, do you really think it would work? Or anyone would continue to use them?

You can select any heat cycle from 1 and 2.5 hours - the colder the climate the longer you heat for. The heating plate max temp is 65 C

After heat cycle it cools for 2 hours. Open it and ready to play flat vinyl.

It will not fix deformed vinyl, for example where the vinyl has been in the sun and the groove have been deformed/melted. It fixes all dishing and other warps.

I would not be without mine, given the number of dished 180gm crap that is pressed these days where they don't leave the vinyl to cool down 8 hours before packing etc.

Attachment 18957
    Still would make me nervous using one for my best OOP records. Vacuum hold down is the best solution, imo.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    Still would make me nervous using one for my best OOP records. Vacuum hold down is the best solution, imo.
    To each his own. I inadvertently damaged more records on my vacuum hold down Sota than I ever have using a VPI periphery ring. Come to think of it, I've not damaged an LP using the ring and use it with every LP I play. YMMV.

John
    John Tverdik
    Operations Manager
    Stillpoints

Quote Originally Posted by allvinyl View Post
    To each his own. I inadvertently damaged more records on my vacuum hold down Sota than I ever have using a VPI periphery ring. Come to think of it, I've not damaged an LP using the ring and use it with every LP I play. YMMV.

John
    I use a ring on my other table. At least with my TechDas, I leave the vac on until platter is stopped. I'm confused on how it's possible for the vacuum hold down to damage a record.
    Christian

System Gear

Member Sponsor [Industry Expert] Dre_J's Avatar
    I use a ring on my other table. At least with my TechDas, I leave the vac on until platter is stopped. I'm confused on how it's possible for the vacuum hold down to damage a record.
    There is a delicate balance between vacuum pressure, how clean you keep the platter and the platter material. I'm guessing just enough vacuum pressure to hold the record flat is better than a Hoover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dre_J View Post
    There is a delicate balance between vacuum pressure, how clean you keep the platter and the platter material. I'm guessing just enough vacuum pressure to hold the record flat is better than a Hoover.
    Makes sense...Nishakawa-San has it down based on his years at Micro-Seiki...
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Phil. On huge wavy warps, the LP grooves are already deformed. Flattening will not fix the deformed grooves - all it does is flatten.
    The warp has been so severe only 3 times(twice the same Lp I had to give up) - All from that POS clueless record plant called United

cheers
    XV-1, that's quite true. I had 2 huge wave warped lps that I brought over to a friend with this flattener. When they were done with the procedure, the records were flap, but they were not a perfect circle anymore. Slightly oblong. I dare not hit my Koetsu on them.
    Phil

Or, if you can wait 3-4 months without touching the OOP LP, leave it in a shelf tightly with other LPs, to create a 'clamping' effect. I has worked for me the past 5 years. Goodbye sun, glass sheets, over, and saved on the heater/flattener.
    Phil

Kuzma introduced a 2.5kg brass outer ring clamp for Stabi XL and Stabi M:

Last edited by Calle_jr; 08-03-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Better image
    If changes in sound are very small then they are not important.

So what ring would y'all is the one to get these day? Where to get it?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456