Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Periphery Outer Ring Clamps

Periphery Outer Ring Clamps

I've been thinking about using an outer ring clamp on my modest Scheu Analog Cello turntable for some of my albums that are slightly warped.

The only outer ring clamps I'd ever seen were on the VPI systems. I wondered if a VPI outer ring clamp would work on my TT. Then I was reading a thread about VPI TT's and I think it was audioguy posted about getting an outer ring and center weight from TTWeights Audio.

I checked out TTWeights.com and found a 600 gram solid copper nickel plated outer ring that I like. I have a VPI center weight that works well on my TT.

Any thoughts about outer ring clamps?

Ray

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Clearaudio has one too. I use the VPI on my Aries 3 and it works as advertised, but does add quite a bit of weight which has me spinning the platter before I fire up the motor, as it would struggle too much on its own.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    I don't know about the interchangability of ring clamps among turntables. But I consider the use of either vacuum or ring clamps an absolute necessity for a turntable. There are clearly tradeoffs between the two approaches; Harry Weisfeld once told me that the ring clamp gives better bass while vacuum gives better upper octaves.

One consideration that few people talk about tough with clamping devices is the absolute necessity to keep your platter spotless! For instance, Versa Dynamics and John Bicht found out years ago that dirt trapped between the platter and LP could damage the LP. To counter this effect, John incorporated a very thin material to protect the LP. But the same effect rules today and if you don't keep the platter clean, one may find the reverse side of your cherished albums becoming noisy.

[WBF Founding Member] vinylphilemag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    One consideration that few people talk about tough with clamping devices is the absolute necessity to keep your platter spotless! For instance, Versa Dynamics and John Bicht found out years ago that dirt trapped between the platter and LP could damage the LP. To counter this effect, John incorporated a very thin material to protect the LP. But the same effect rules today and if you don't keep the platter clean, one may find the reverse side of your cherished albums becoming noisy.
    Great point, which allows me to segue into one of my turntable pet peeves: dust covers. WTF don't more manufacturers include some sort of dust cover with their products (removable, of course)? I like the soft vinyl covers SME provides best: the do the job well, and don't take up much room and are easy to store when the TT is in use because they're soft. Getting back to your point, platters would be a lot easier to keep clean if the TT had a dustcover!
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinylphilemag View Post
    Great point, which allows me to segue into one of my turntable pet peeves: dust covers. WTF don't more manufacturers include some sort of dust cover with their products (removable, of course)? I like the soft vinyl covers SME provides best: the do the job well, and don't take up much room and are easy to store when the TT is in use because they're soft. Getting back to your point, platters would be a lot easier to keep clean if the TT had a dustcover!
    Hey try cohabitating with three kitties

For my Technics reel to reel, I actually have an original Technics soft cover as well as hard cover. I tend to use the soft more often since protects more of the deck from kitties hair

That said there are some nice custom dust covers available from Gingko and Dedicated Audio for many tables. In fact, HW will refer many to Vu for covers. Vu actually made a very nice one for my digital transport too.

Thanks guys,

My TT is an international mutt. German motor, platter and base. British arm (RB 250). Italian cart (Blue Note).

Other tweaks for this rig; Pro-Ject isolation stand and I found a Ginko dust cover for a Marantz TT that fits perfect. All this sits on the top tier of a three tier Adona rack. Oh yeah, I also have a VPI center weight and a VPI 16.5 R.C.M.

I get a lot of pure musical bliss out of this rig for an entry level turntable. I know I'm getting close to the point of diminishing returns as far as tweaks are concerned, but for now I think I might try out a ring clamp and some more choice vinyl. It's going to be a while before I can afford the SME 20/2 Performance Package.

Ray

The outer ring clamp works great for warped records but, as far as the sound goes Hmmm!!! Not really sure about that more listening will be required. I have borrowed a friends VPI outer ring before I buy one to try on my Scoutmaster TT.

Jay

Listen to it more Jay! What clamp are you using with the ring clamp?

The one that came with my TT, the VPI screw on one.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jcmusic View Post
    The one that came with my TT, the VPI screw on one.

Jay
    That'll make a difference too. The metal one is much better with the ring clamps-though there are other clamps around that give a different sonic perspective on the recording.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast