Alta Vista Audio closing it's doors

jpv

Nov 18, 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
I visited Mike Elliott's blog page about his life in Bend, OR. and I came apon his latest and very sad post.
He is closing down his business. You can read the full blog here: http://socal2bend.blogspot.com/

The story is when he moved to Bend, his tech didn't want to go so he hired another tech. He was killed by a car while riding his bike. Mike, was able to talk the old tech to take some of the work and after a few years he decided to not take anymore work from Mike.
So Mike said:
"So yesterday I took the first steps: I shut off the toll-free telephone number and set up an "auto-respond" message on my email ("We regret to inform you but we are no longer in business, we wish to thank you for the many years of loyalty ... "), and have changed the main page on my website to present the same message.

I have but four jobs remaining which I feel obligated to complete: a customer in Florida to whom I offered my services to help sort out a technical problem, a fellow from whom I am expecting payment to cover the cost of shipping his repaired units to his address in London via UPS Freight, a man in Turkey whose amplifier is in my possession and must be returned, and a nice man in Italy who prepaid for the upgrades on his d-a converter -- one last job which my San Diego co-worker has agreed to complete.

But after that, I am shut of this company. More importantly, I am shut of the role that I have put myself into as a designer, and of the burden of worrying about my customers. They are adults and the things I made are but hobbies.

I can finally close this chapter of my life -- and move on."

For us owners of Counterpoint equipment this is sad to hear.

John

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sad news indeed... Never did get my old SA220 out of storage and to him for updating (not even sure if it still works). I have seen many top people pass on in the past year or three, in audio and music, as well as lost some family, a grim reminder that I am aging as well.

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
The Altavistaaudio.com website explains that Mike Elliott has closed his business for "Health reasons", whereas you do not mention any health problem ?!... Can you give a few more detail ?

Mike Elliott is somebody that I do respect a lot.

The Counterpoint DA-10 that he has upgraded for me a few years ago is still the best DAC that I have lessonned to....

I am about to send him all my wishes for his recovery,

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would have wanted to hear his Aria amplifier. :(

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I read the letter that Mike wrote explaining why he is closing his doors and I didn't see where he mentioned his health one time. He mentioned the mental health of his technician in San Diego who will no longer perform repairs or mods for Mike. Mike decided to throw in the towel after he lost the services of the best tech he had. His tech he hired in Oregon was killed while riding his bike. I thought it wasn't very nice of Mike to kind of put the tech down that had died saying how slow he was at catching on and how much better and faster his old tech in San Diego was.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
So, is this true? I went to Alta Vista Audio website and it looks current?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From their website's home page :(

We regret to inform you that due to health reasons, Alta Vista Audio and Aria Audio are now out of business. It has been an honor to have brought so much good music into so many homes since 1980, when Counterpoint was formed, through its dissolution in 1997, and with Alta Vista and Aria since then.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks, missed that as I was only reading the left column.:eek:

clouseau1

Jun 28, 2017
Portugal
Hello to all.
I am in need of a Schematic (Circuit Diagram) for the Counterpoint SA-9 Phono preamp.
If there is somebody in possession of such diagram, please contact me. I am available to send $ if necessary to pay costs.
Thank you in advance.

MrMoscode

Oct 29, 2020
Counterpoint schematics and service literature is available from catherineweber87@gmail.com. A donation is asked for but it's up to you how much. I recommend at least $25 for a single manual. If you do download any lit from her please be generous and grateful for access to this hard to find literature. I have the full library but I will not be selling it. Please contact Mrs. Weber.

Alexandros

Aug 16, 2022
Hello to all
I am also in need of Service Manuals contain schematics, circuit diagram, wiring diagram, operating voltages , etc, because I am facing an operations problem with my Counterpoint SA11. I tried to send an email to Mrs Weber but she didn’t reply. Does anybody have an idea where to find service manuals for SA11 and SA9 ? I send also an email to other people but also didn’t respond.
Thank you in advance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing