New Tube Tape Preamp out soon-

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Jay,

Being a Ampex fan,of course it would be nice if it had the same signature of a 351 Ampex. Now if by some chance it sounded like a 350, that I think would be a acheivement. The 350's have all octal tubes including a 6sn7 on the master unit,outboard power supplies, and point to point wiring. These 350 Ampex units are true dual mono preamps and when grounded correctly produce a stunning sound. I'll post my thoughts when I get mine completed with the Mundorf film caps.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Jay,

Being a Ampex fan,of course it would be nice if it had the same signature of a 351 Ampex. Now if by some chance it sounded like a 350, that I think would be a acheivement. The 350's have all octal tubes including a 6sn7 on the master unit,outboard power supplies, and point to point wiring. These 350 Ampex units are true dual mono preamps and when grounded correctly produce a stunning sound. I'll post my thoughts when I get mine completed with the Mundorf film caps.

Ok Roger,
I was just going by what I have read and what I heard. I did say I was led to believe that she copied or designed hers like the Ampex, no pun intended.

Jay

Doc B.

Aug 31, 2010
FYI, the phono section in the McIntosh MX-110 is identical to the Ampex 351 playback circuit, with the exception of the difference in eq. components. If you're going to copy(steal), you might as well copy from the best :)
Why re-invent the wheel?

REB

Seems that I recall Dave Dintenfass telling me that the repro circuit in the consumer Ampex decks like the 960, 1260 and F44 was pretty much the same circuit as the 351 repro too. I'd have to go back and dig through my schemo files to verify that. Since the move to the new office those files are a trainwreck - a big pile on the basement floor.

To Roger -

Paul's mastering deck is an ATR 102 converted by Mike Spitz to 1" 2 track, and it uses Tim's custom tube record and repro electronics. That is the machine our running masters are made on.

The master for the duplicating line is an MM1200 that was converted by Spitz to 1" 2 track. That is the machine with dPV modded MR70 electronics.

The slaves use a slightly modified ATR record electronics chain. Repro electronics in these machines is unchanged, since we don't really use the repros except to monitor during duplication, If I ever get the time I plan to experiment with some tube record electronics of our own design.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Doc, as they say the "proof of the pudding is in its eating ". In this case all of here who subscribe to your Tape Project can vouch for how good they sound which is IMO a result of how they are mastered.

Kudos Doc

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Kara is headed to the Bay area this weekend for a Bay Area Audio Society meeting to demonstrate her preamp, along with her 50A triode Mono amps and Sonist speakers. She is going up to Seattle for a NW Pacific Tape Group meeting in the near future(December or January). She just delivered the first Tape/Phono version to the Tri-Cities area last weekend.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Audio Research Tape preamp

Here is my latest concoction- an Audio Research SP-3 tube preamp converted from RIAA to NAB. The video was shot earlier this evening. The tape deck was my old reVox C270 with Nortronics play head directly wired to the SP-3 tape(ex-phono) section. The test tape is a 15 ips NAB MRL tape and the results are shown on a Hewlett-Packard Spectrum Analyzer. Sorry about he fan noise- it is coming from the HP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3KDok3M6SQ

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

Attachments

• IMG_6278..jpg
    IMG_6278..jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,481
Last edited:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Rich:

Inquiring mind wants to know, any details of the RIAA to NAB circuit conversion on the phono preamp you can share would be interesting to me. I've been thinking - there are so many good tube based and transistor phono preamps that might be perfect candidates for such mods to be used as a tape head preamp. Even old mic preamps with no EQ would be even more appropriate to mod for tape head preamp if some one who's qualified would do the work.

Other than few machines with very low head inductance that would require huge gain (with signal transformer), most of the modern heads are in the 200mH and 150 ohm DCR range that are well suited for ~50dB gain of MC phono preamps I believe.

On the other hand, DocB and Charles King had done the hard work already for us lazy type to take advantage of...

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Great Rich

As I mentioned a LONG time ago, most every manufacturer of "golden age" (dawn of stereo) tubed preamps had tape head inputs. Yours appears to be the FIRST posting where someone actually tried it - although it took a modification to accomplish.

BTW, I understand that your ARC exhibits "much lower noise" than the Bottlehead. Care to comment?

Charles

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Charles:

Judging from what Rich had said, I thought he had "converted" RIAA into NAB in a similary fashion as what you did to the Cello phono. I didn't realize it was a straight use of an exsiting tape head inputs as Rich had mentioned in one of our phone conversatiosn in regards to his experiment of using the McIntosh MX110 for the same application. If so, the SP-3 seems to have two tape inputs (assuming tape head inputs) from the photo. Could it support two different heads with two different characteristics or be modified to have one input as NAB and the second one as IEC having the different EQ selection done at the switch?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ki-I believe you are correct in that he converted the phono section from RIAA to NAB. The SP-3 isn't old enough to have tape head inputs.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
I did convert the SP-3 from RIAA to NAB eq.. I removed the complete RIAA network and installed a new board with the appropriate NAB network with two 15 turn trim pots at the 3150 hertz turnover(+/- 3 db). I will likely get an IEC and RIAA board made up and possibly an AME board. These will be installed on a pair of 4 pin sockets. The only series of ARC preamps to have NAB playback eq. are the SP-2 series, which I believe was sold up to about 1974.

Last month I had a stock MX-110 McIntosh preamp that had NAB eq. built in. It was very lovely sounding but a bit too noisy for my taste. The SP-3 is considerably quieter with my 200 mH Nortronics play head, but is lacking in 'punch' and 'slam'. It certainly is much quieter than my Bottlehead Seduction and about the same noise level as the Tape Repro, which I have to admit had WAY more slam. I'm listening to it right now with the Chopin first piano concerto with Graffman/Munch/BSO now and it is very nice. I really miss the King/Cello preamp, which I think has slam/punch in spades as well as a super lush 'tube' sound with an awesome soundstage and SUPER QUIET. CK- please get going on serial number 14 :)

Next move on the vintage preamp/tape lash-up front will be trying some 1:15 step up transformers or some high impedance heads, a la Ampex 350/351, which were almost 1 Henry! This will certainly supercharge any old preamp. My old Presto 825 is getting restored in Seattle now and my restorer has some 351 transports, so that might be my next move.

To sum up my findings so far- 43db gain in tape is not enough for good results with modern 100-250 mH heads. I have found that around 50db is right for the modern heads. Kara has gotten around this problem by having a solid state 'step-up' stage before her tube gain stages. Ampex (MR-70) and Studer(some A-80s) used transformers to step up the level. I used an MR-70 in the 80s/early 90s and it was a gem. Will be trying the peanut Beyers and some UTC LS in experiments later this year.

To Ki and the rest of the Seattle Tape Club- I'll bring along the ARC on my next trip up for you to hear.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
HI Tom
I'll leave the technical discussion of distortion to Ki or Charlie. Using the HP spectrum analyzer was a bit of technical overkill for the simple frequency response measurement of the deck.

Rich Brown

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Ki
Using any tube phono stage which is passive CR type RIAA filter convert to NAB head pre amp is much easier than the other type (active filter) just change the filter to two R and one C and a pot for hi frequency adjusting or one more for gain control .because NAB curve is simple than the RIAA. the MM in put will have enough gain for a repro head
tony ma

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Hi Tony
I respectfully disagree about MM Phono gain having enough juice for a typical low impedance head(ReVox, Technics, etc..). Most MM phono stages are around 43 db of gain. I have found this a bit low for these types of heads and MC gain of 60 db is a bit much. 50 to 55 db of gain seems to be the sweet spot for these heads IMO.

Rich Brown

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing