New Tube Tape Preamp out soon-

Ogrady

Feb 24, 2011
Vancouver Island
I am waiting with great anticipation of just how well this deHavilland Model 222 pre sounds!
I'm thinking from the smattering of little nuggets here and there that this little unit sounds excellent, I just haven't read what owners have to say.

Any words from the wise?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
I'll give you my review in a week or so.

Hey Bruce...... have you had a chance to fire this unit up yet? If so, how does it sound?

Ogrady

Feb 24, 2011
Vancouver Island
Hello Tom,
Well I played with IMD today, played in that I visually read the figures as well as looked at the trace as I varied input level. Nothing to note that would point the finger at tape doing something to the sound, values similar to THD. Today I used RMGI 900 tape. Though this tape has NOT been calibrated to the deck, THD at various levels was running 0.15%, (SMPTE standard RP120-1994) IMD 60hz / 7 khz 4:1 level ratio raised THD to 0.25~0.3%.

You talk of tape saturation possibly adding clarity, I stay away from saturation.

Sean

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How could tape saturation possibly add clarity?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
When I hear tape saturation, I hear a "thickening" or more body to the sound.

Isn't the thickness you are hearing caused by compression from the saturation?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Here's a cool idea for anyone with A80 machines. I was running out of rack space and usually use a dedicated A-D converter whenever I transfer tape. I'm sure some of you saw a tape pre teetering on top of my meter bridge at one time. Here's what I did. I had extra Raxxess 19" shelves that I wasn't using. I don't like the lip on the front, so I turn them upside down in my racks. Well based on that, I took the center brace from the A80 rack and bolted a shelf on using 1/4" x 3/4" machine bolts so I can place an A-D converter or even a tape pre. I've done this to all my machines now. Take a look. Pretty cool!!

shelf2.jpg

shelf3.JPG

Last edited:

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the great idea. I had some old middle atlantic shelves laying around, they fit perfect.
Now I need to order some more Wave Kinetic a10-u8's for under the components.

Gary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing