Tapes handle more information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Oh heavens! You mean that people can somehow get enough cues from the recording that they can get a sense of the size of the venue and its ambience? It’s all a trick I tell you! Those damn recording engineers put that crap in there! It’s not real I tell you! It’s a figment of your imagination and all of your friends that heard it. At least that is what someone on this forum has tried to convince us of.

Seriously, I would love to hear the tape.

I may have missed that thread. Verticality is a challenge for conventional stereo, but breadth and sense of distance from the listener are a cinch, particularly when done this well. There's actually a nice bit of text on the cardboard cover of the recording explaining the recording engineer's challenge, as Belafonte was wandering all over the stage, and was singing with a number of different ensembles, from small intimate orchestra to the entire hall joining in. The sum creates a wonderful sense of space.

Was very lucky with my copy of Belafonte/Carnegie. Unused until it reached me!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Here is something else I have noted and I wonder if others have heard it too. On digital music that was sourced from analog tape (which is tons of music) and you can hear the very low-level analog tape hiss in quiet parts of the music, it doesn't sound like tape hiss does in real life from a real tape playing on a R2R deck. And maybe that makes sense because digital's distortion goes up as the recording level goes down. Anyway, it doesn't sound 'right.' Tape hiss heard on an LP sounds like real tape hiss though.

I hear some hiss out of most of my tapes :) it is a nice hiss-ing!

Shall we declare the thread closed? - it was an enlighten one!

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I may have missed that thread. Verticality is a challenge for conventional stereo, but breadth and sense of distance from the listener are a cinch, particularly when done this well. There's actually a nice bit of text on the cardboard cover of the recording explaining the recording engineer's challenge, as Belafonte was wandering all over the stage, and was singing with a number of different ensembles, from small intimate orchestra to the entire hall joining in. The sum creates a wonderful sense of space.

Was very lucky with my copy of Belafonte/Carnegie. Unused until it reached me!

You probably didn't miss the thread, soundproof. You probably just missed the hyperbolic snarky interpretation of what it means to say that most live recordings don't actually capture the distance from the listener, they capture the performers up close, where good recording can happen, they capture ambient information (hall reverb) out in the hall, the sometimes capture crowd noise with another set of microphones to add to the illusion, and they mix it all together in post production. I'd be quite surprised if that's not the way the Belefonte recording was made as well.

Reality seems to really anger some people around here.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You probably didn't miss the thread, soundproof. You probably just missed the hyperbolic snarky interpretation of what it means to say that most live recordings don't actually capture the distance from the listener, they capture the performers up close, where good recording can happen, they capture ambient information (hall reverb) out in the hall, the sometimes capture crowd noise with another set of microphones to add to the illusion, and they mix it all together in post production. I'd be quite surprised if that's not the way the Belefonte recording was made as well.

Tim

The reality Tim is that you have not yet answered ONE single question posed to you; all you do is take this parochial attitude to everything. It's clear so far that you haven't done the research to understand the milking techniques involved in these recordings! I asked you this before and you sidestepped it like everything else in this thread. Riddle me this Sherlock? How does a pair of stereo crossed mikes eg. Blumlein technique do it? Hmmmppphhhh.....Or haven't you ever heard a Blumlein miked recording?

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011

Tim

This thread is officially closed with the post of Felonious ....Dead horses need not apply.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
How does a pair of stereo crossed mikes eg. Blumlein technique do it?

In my experience, not very well if you're trying to capture the "distance to the listener," possibly very well if the distance to the microphones is much closer than a normal listening position in most halls (again, see what Barry Diamet is doing). But this dramatically changes the ratio of direct to reflected sound...and your "capture" of the hall ambience, necessitating other techniques to create that feel, and that's all this dead horse is about.

Myles, could you put me on ignore now? Do so and as soon as I realize you are no longer responding to my posts, I'll stop reading yours.

Thanks.

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon, gentlemen. I'd like to once again remind the members of some of the WBF terms of service.

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. If in our opinion you are violating this rule, administrative action may be taken which may include termination of your membership and deletion of your posts with or without notice.

6. Please do not attempt to moderate the forum on your own. If you see objectionable posts, please report them. We will deal with them. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it.

That said, thread closed. Let's keep up the spirited discussions but let's also leave out any posts [or even part of posts] that are directed at somebody. In other words, discuss the body of the post, not the poster. Thank you for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing