Auto Desk System Record Cleaner

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Dumb Question #1: when you guys say 'water' or 'distilled water' are you talking about the stuff you can buy at the grocery store, or do you need to use fancy lab grade water?

I've only had mine for about a month. I'm using Aquafina with the solution that came with the machine. My dealer said that lab grade water is only necessary if you want to use the machine without the cleaning solution.

I may try lab grade water at some point but I'm really happy with the results I'm getting now.

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Dumb Question #1: when you guys say 'water' or 'distilled water' are you talking about the stuff you can buy at the grocery store, or do you need to use fancy lab grade water?
Most 'distilled' bottled water at the grocery store or pharmacy is decent quality -- usually a repackage of a name brand. It should all work just fine.

--Bill

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have had mine 2 days, cleaned 45 records and equate the cleaning experience to like having sex...lol
No foam issues using 1 bottle of cleaner per tank. This thing really cleans and does the best I have seen removing stamper release gunk. No static, perfectly clean. What a record cleaner !!!

I use Aquafina reverse osmosis bottled water

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have had mine 2 days, cleaned 45 records and equate the cleaning experience to like having sex...lol
No foam issues using 1 bottle of cleaner per tank. This thing really cleans and does the best I have seen removing stamper release gunk. No static, perfectly clean. What a record cleaner !!!

I use Aquafina reverse osmosis bottled water

Kinda like Arnold in Pumping Iron saying getting a pump is better than having sex. We know that isn't true, is it Arnold? :)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My friend and I both bought them at the same time and we're having the same problem. After a blow drying cycle both of us find the records aren't completely dry. Anyone else having this problem? It's not visibly wet or anything, but the records are noisy after playing immediately after cleaning on the AudioDesk. Gently patting/wiping the records with microfiber lint free cloths lowers the surface noise. We're going to contact the online dealer to see if we just got faulty units.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I've had mine for a few weeks. We talked with the distributor about foaming. For me it was caused by the residual left after cleaning with Disc Doctor or other fluids. What I have had to do is rinse the records which had been cleaned first with distilled water in my VPI 16.5. This has solved the foam issue for me. With records that have been cleaned already, I can go a couple of hundred records without any issue. We did a test with a second machine which had no foaming problems. Foam started to appear only after I started cleaning my cleaned records which had not been prerinsed. The rinsing doesn't take much time. I use Disk Doctor brushes to apply the distilled water. I rinse the brushes every other record that I rinse. If I am cleaning records that have not been previously cleaned - such as new records - then there is no foaming issue.

As far as the brushes not moving in sync, my guess is that the brushes that are not moving are not totally seated onto the pins that hold them. It can be a bit tricky to get them aligned and seated completely.

As far as having water droplets, I find that if the reservoir tank is full to the top, then I get some water droplets - no big deal - I use a microfiber cloth to wipe dry. However, if I just fill to the point where the light turns green from red and then add about a cup more fluid, then I don't have drop problems.

To check whether the ultrasonic cleaner part is working, turn off the lights in the room at night and look into the machine during a cleaning cycle - to the right, under the wiper blades. There are a series of different colored lights that turn on during the cycle - fairly faint - that means it is working.

I've cleaned about 1000 records so far. So easy!!

Hope this helps.

Larry

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've had mine for a few weeks. We talked with the distributor about foaming. For me it was caused by the residual left after cleaning with Disc Doctor or other fluids. What I have had to do is rinse the records which had been cleaned first with distilled water in my VPI 16.5. This has solved the foam issue for me. With records that have been cleaned already, I can go a couple of hundred records without any issue. We did a test with a second machine which had no foaming problems. Foam started to appear only after I started cleaning my cleaned records which had not been prerinsed. The rinsing doesn't take much time. I use Disk Doctor brushes to apply the distilled water. I rinse the brushes every other record that I rinse. If I am cleaning records that have not been previously cleaned - such as new records - then there is no foaming issue.
This is consistent with my findings. Records previously cleaned with Disc Doctor cause it, but not rapidly. Those previously cleaned with Mint or VPI very little effect, but those cleaned with Premier affect the solution quite a lot.

As far as the brushes not moving in sync, my guess is that the brushes that are not moving are not totally seated onto the pins that hold them. It can be a bit tricky to get them aligned and seated completely.
My unit will periodically not start the rear two brushes unless I tap on the black gear right next to them (bottom rear of water compartment). It happens very frequently with new solution, but not so much after a couple of dozen records have been cleaned. Unfortunately, you have to get into a habit of waiting after the cycle starts to make sure the rear brushes start. This is not an issue of seating, it's binding somewhere and I haven't taken it apart to figure out where.

As far as having water droplets, I find that if the reservoir tank is full to the top, then I get some water droplets - no big deal - I use a microfiber cloth to wipe dry. However, if I just fill to the point where the light turns green from red and then add about a cup more fluid, then I don't have drop problems.
I find this too, but the drops aren't caused by only the high solution level. I find that records that are 'cupped' (not flat, but bowed slightly in or out at the center) will also cause this. Whenever I see drops, I just set the wet side up on the Mofi sleeve and let it air dry.

To check whether the ultrasonic cleaner part is working, turn off the lights in the room at night and look into the machine during a cleaning cycle - to the right, under the wiper blades. There are a series of different colored lights that turn on during the cycle - fairly faint - that means it is working.
Nice to know! I've often wondered if ultrasonic was working. Sometimes you can see a little steam-like mist emanate from that area when the water is done filling (if the light is just right). I've taken that to be caused by the ultrasonic agitation of the water.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Good info, Larry. Thanks.

--Bill

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Also agree that droplets can form if records are cupped. Larry

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Lately I've noticed that once in a while (very seldom) you find a record that, after an Autodesk cleaning, has a hazy kind of film on it. It didn't come from AD, it just can't be removed by AD. You can rub it with a cloth or your fingers (in a clear space) and remove it, however. Those LP's seem to clean reasonably with Disc Doctor. Do a double rinse to get the remainder of DD off, and then Audiodesk it again.

--Bill

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Hope this helps.

Larry

Just to be clear is the foaming happening when you move an LP cleaned on the VPI with DiscDoctor, without any water rinse? Or does it happen even after you have done a water rinse/vacuum? If it is the latter, then it means your VPI isn't completely vacuuming away the fluid. In my experience this can happen if the vacuum nozzle is pointed straight down. It needs to be angled ever so slightly backwards in order to completely vacuum a side dry in 3 revolutions.

DiscDoctor Miracle is my favorite cleaning solution, but it does need to be completely removed or you will have more surface noise.

GGA

Aug 23, 2011
I got one of these a few days ago. Overall, it seems to do a good job, though mine has a problem engaging the rear pair of white rotating cleaning arms. They size the record and then move forward to position just like the front pair, but when the front pair starts turning, the rear ones don't about 20% of the time. I use a long shank screwdriver to bump the dark colored gear that drives the rear arm pair and they start right up. Is this familiar to anyone?

I had the same problem. There is an adjustment for the engagement of the front and rear rollers. If you contact The Cable Company (the distributors) they can send you details. It is a one minute fix.

I have had my unit for some two years and 1000+ cleanings. Some other observations: the white vinyl "wipers" shrank with usage and age. Because they became too small they left large drops on some thinner records until eventually they left drops on all records. If this becomes a problem replacing the wipers is a quick and easy fix, if you can get new ones.

At about 1000 records the four white rollers were no longer round, creating eccentric movement. They are easily replaced and Cable Co. will sell you spares. After experiencing this I read in the manual that they should be replaced every 500 cleanings.

The major theoretical drawback of the cleaner is that you are using progressively dirtier and dirtier fluid to clean the records. Manual says to change fluid after 100 records. Given the small cost of the fluid, depending on the workload, I change the fluid at 50-75 cleanings. It is very easy to rinse the filter sponge, so I do that more frequently.

Mike L. gave some great cleaning advice that I will incorporate into my routine. It can be a wonderful cleaner but it does need some regular maintenance.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
A solution to the water droplets problem. After cleaning quite a few records, the vinyl wipers had shrunk so the gap between them didn't allow them to wipe all the water droplets off. Solution was easy. I ordered a new set of wipers (my local dealer got them from the distributor who had to get them from Germany.) Cost was $15. The vinyl wipers now have no gap, and no more droplets. The distributor (Cable Company I think) had never had to order a set before.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing