What one thing would you like to change?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If you had the funds/ability, etc., what one thing about your setup would you like to change? What benefit to your current system do you believe you would realize?

Personally, I'd like to replace my preamp/processor. I'm interested in the TacT and Krell multichannel units, possibly others.

I would have said my room, but since I have architectural plans completed, that's not quite fair. I simply can't afford to throw six figures around to build on right now. The new room would be the largest upgrade by far. My current room has a concave :( front wall behind the speakers. Some creative use of bass traps and fabric has tamed it fairly well, but far from ideal.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you had the funds/ability, etc., what one thing about your setup would you like to change? What benefit to your current system do you believe you would realize?

Personally, I'd like to replace my preamp/processor. I'm interested in the TacT and Krell multichannel units, possibly others.

I would have said my room, but since I have architectural plans completed, that's not quite fair. I simply can't afford to throw six figures around to build on right now. The new room would be the largest upgrade by far. My current room has a concave :( front wall behind the speakers. Some creative use of bass traps and fabric has tamed it fairly well, but far from ideal.

Lee

I'm pretty happy with my gear-other than wanting to hear a few cartridges in the system.

If I could change one thing, it would be a bigger room. That would also allow me to put a pro Studer R2R in the room :)

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Build a dedicated 2-channel listening room. This would allow me to build a "golden ratio" room or even a trapagon.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love the question and could probably give you a list of things I would like to change, but I know we're limited to only one, so that's what I'll do.

I am in the process of moving into a larger apartment so I can have a dedicated 2-channel room. This room is not large and won't be consisting of mega-dollar gear. What it will have is my Totem Sttaf speakers and my Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE turntable. It will de driven be a cheapo vintage Rotel power/pre combo for now, and I'll have to crank her as the Sttaf's aren't the most effcient.

My choice therefore would be to find a really nice Integrated Amp from Marantz like the "PM-15S2 Reference Series Integrated Amplifier". The addition of this would make me a happy camper.

John

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I would like to add 5 Classe M-400 monoblocks to add to my system.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning Lee, for me? My room. Yeah, most definitely....my room. It is by far the single most detrimental part of the system right now. I have had the pleasure of hearing my rig set up in 4 different rooms and the sound can go from above average to audio bliss. In my current room, unfortunately, it is just above average IMO.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I find my Levinson ML333 good enough to power the Avalon Ascents, maybe because of my low expectations on that amp, it sounds very relaxed but with plenty of power reserve to play almost all kind of music. Saying that, I began to build a funded couriosity after listening the Boulder amps some weeks back, so I might consider an upgrade for a pair of 850 or a 1060 some day, not now.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Maybe another cart (Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Anna or CA Goldfinger) and another RTR deck (Studer A80). Other than that, my system is very well sorted especially with the Wilson X-2's coming next week.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Maybe another cart (Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Anna or CA Goldfinger) and another RTR deck (Studer A80). Other than that, my system is very well sorted especially with the Wilson X-2's coming next week.

With those speakers coming, you have plenty of time ahead to play with Christian! :) Congrats again!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow, I can't think of a single thing. I think I have to see a shrink. This isn't normal! :D

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
My cd player. I used to have the Emm Labs CDSA SE, which sounded really great with the McIntosh MA6600 integrated amplifier and Wilson Sophia II speakers. Unfortunately, it died on me after one day and I returned it to the guy from who I bought it. I've decided that I want a warranty when I buy.

I currently have an Oppo player, but it seems to be a distant second to the sounds the CDSA was capable of producing. I'd like to have digital inputs, and I've heard great things about the Playback Designs mps-3, but I'm not prepared to pay more than $5-6k, so I'll wait and see if there are any store demos in the near future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing