What are your current reference speakers?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Who's listening to what?
Brand and model?
How old are they?
Did they cost you more than your car?

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
GamuT S-9s. 2 years old. They cost more than my house. Paid $141,000 for my house and the speakers have an MSRP of $150,000.

I did get a bit of an industry deal, but they did cost me more $$ than I've ever spent on a car.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Let me go to the bottom of the range here for you Peter!

Totem Sttaf - $2,000
Four years old
I did buy a car for $1,500 once though!;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sounds quite reasonable! :b ...In reference to post #2.

* Me, Image Concept 200 (a quarter of century old).
I bought a car once that cost me four times less than them loudspeakers' MSRP.

And I bought a tent once that cost me twice what I paid for that car above.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Well I could not hope to get speaker for the 50c we paid for our old beloved Saab 99? What a wonderful car (We've since passed it on, for FREE!) But my reference speakers are Merlin Master TSM, hoping to receive the Master VSM soon.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Dynaudio Evidence Temptation, 6 months. Costs about the same as a nice car.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Bastanis Mandala that I've had about 1.5 years.

Attachments

• bos axpona Bastan&#.jpg
    bos axpona Bastan&#.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1,340

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary
4 yrs old
cost less than my aquarium
cost less than my car

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Analysis Audio Epsilon. Don't believe it is necessary, depending on room, to spend vast amounts on speakers for best sound. I use distributed speaker system, active crossover and surround.

Don't believe in big boxes (except subwoofers) or the false promises of passive crossovers. No matter how carefully executed, a passive crossover is a "once size fits all" equalizer, and mucks up the amplifier performance.

Box speakers are overpriced furniture that depreciate with excessive speed. Don't like to hire 300 pound guys from Tonga to haul my stuff around, I can still carry every item in my stereo system myself.

If I had a larger room, my strategies would change.

I like boxless, dipole planars.

My stereo system is multiples in cost compared to our cars. Had expensive luxury models for years and now prefer small, econo models with four wheel drive and sporty performance (Subaru WRX wagon).

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Who's listening to what?
Brand and model?
How old are they?
Did they cost you more than your car?

My clone reference system are my JBL Synthesis Array 1400's. The difference from stock are charge coupled crossovers and the same Berylium drivers used in the K2 9800SE.

I finished building them in February 2010 so 2 years old.

Between the horns and BE drivers, woofers and crossover componenets they were the most expensive speakers I have built to date. They cost me more than my wifes car:D

Rob:)

Attachments

• Array..jpg
    Array..jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 517

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
just sold my Evolution Acoustics MM3's which had been my reference speakers. they were 5 years old.

they did cost less that the MSRP of my wife's car back when i purchased the MM3's; although now they list for more. i drive a demo so it does not count.

my new reference speakers are the Evolution Acoustics MM7's; which do cost more than any car i might seriously consider purchasing.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Daedalus Audio Ulysses with crossover upgrade. Had 'em 3 years.

Cost WAAYYY less than my car

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Evolution Acoustics MM2's

Approx. 2 y/o

Traded in my Wilson Maxx's which I paid for by selling my wife's car! She's the best!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Reference? My reference is a pair of $400 Sennheiser headphones, and for detail and tonality and...what do you call that thing were there is such a complete absence of audible peaks or valleys, such a smooth, effortless, coherent presentation of different content at different frequencies that it can almost make you forget there are speakers there, even when they are strapped to your head :)? Let's call it musicality...I've yet to hear a pair of speakers with a crossover in them that hold up to the reference. Imaging and soundstage is obviously a totally different thing. It's nothing like speakers.

I've had them more than a decade, so they're probably paid off :). My car cost more.

Tim

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary
4 yrs old
cost less than my aquarium
cost less than my car

Same here although I don't own an aquarium...2 years old

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My beloved Avalon Ascents II, they cost far less than my car! (tongue-in-cheek)!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing