My own audio nirvana...

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
As my new amps, preamp and cables have been getting a lot of playtime, in order to reach their prime, I have noticed some subtle and some not so subtle changes in the sound. I think things have reached their ultimate expression now, as I experienced such a rewarding listening experience that I have to comment. It was shear perfection, as if the performers were in my room. I thought I have had this experience before, but not like this. Every sound from Holly Cole's mouth was so real, it was if it was the first time I have heard her sing the songs. Not in a replicated way, but in a live, just a few feet away from you way, with no microphone, just the voice and the instruments there, in front of you. The vocal inflections, the shaping of the notes and mouth, it was all precisely revealed, just as if I were watching her sing. The way the chords from the Aaron Davis' piano were still decaying, bathing me in harmony, even as the next notes emerge was like listening to a real piano. David Piltch's acoustic bass emerged effortlessly and completely through the Wilson WP8s, loading the entire listening room with all of its glorious deep richness of sound, seemingly going right through my body and chair. Incredible. Nothing was missing, not the slightest detail from any subtle percussion instrument, nor any harmonic overtone from Howard Levy's wonderful harmonica playing. During horn arrangements, it was so easy to pick out the various instruments, from the french horn and trombone to the trumpet and tenor sax. Every note just right, no piercing sounds, no non-musical sounds, just music. Anyway, I had to share, as I have never heard reproduced sound this good in my own listening room. There may be better speakers, amps, cables, etc., but I have no desire to change from what I am currently using. I have finally reached my own audio nirvana.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Steve

great to hear how pleased you are but share with us what gear you changed

Steve, I use Pass Labs XA-100.5 amps and a Pass Labs XP-20 preamp. Using the balanced (XLR) connections with Mogami interconnects. I have rearranged the listening room so that only the amps are between the speakers and altered the positioning of the acoustic panels. For my smaller listening room, larger speakers would seem to be overkill. Just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, everything is just right.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well done Steve... post some pictures when you get a chance

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Steve,

I am very happy for you. Awesome system! I had the XP-10 with the XA30.5 and really loved it and do miss them. Pass makes great, solid gear. Enjoy!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you all for your kind comments. No pics for now, as the room needs some touch up and I haven't ordered my amp stands, yet. When room is complete I will post my system.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well then by all means, enjoy the music my friend! There is nothing better than doing just that, simply enjoying the music. Congrat's on your own audio nirvana. Things like this don't happen everyday.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve-Great to hear you are so happy with the sound of your system. According to Harman, you shouldn't be so happy with the sound of the W/P, but as I said before, thousands of W/P owners all over the world can't be wrong.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing