Starting a Classical Music Library

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

An audiophile and music friend approached me . he is not into Classical music at all but listens to Prog and Rock, some Jazz. He would like to listen to some classical. Some of them struck his fancy but he's not by any stretch a Western Classic Music fan or connoisseur. Good sound and good music... Music first ...

What albums would you recommend him to start his library? Any medium but availability is important .. No unobtainium albums :) .. We could start with 10 ... up to 25.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Frantz,

IMO, it would be good to start with some familiar "tunes" that will establish the connection between the origins of a piece and the popular incarnations. With that in mind, let's begin with something almost everybody knows:

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Amad...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1336796689&sr=1-1

I chose this one because it is available cheaply, and is a very good performance. Of course, many of the forum members may have their own personal favorite for this selection, and that's OK too. I'm just reminded of Salieri's conversation with the priest in Amadeus, where the priest hummed the whole first section of the piece from memory.

More to follow.

Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• aa1..jpg
    aa1..jpg
    18 KB · Views: 265

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although I have more classical recordings than I thought I had, I too am a novice and need some direction...so Frantz, this is a great thread for me that I'll be following closely. Hopefully Lloyd will chime in as well.

I picked up this as recommended on CD from Amazon UK for a great price.

51-STQ1kI1L__SL500_.jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would suggest him to start with Barroque and Chamber, easy to deal with and great pieces, Bach/Telemann would be my first pick, then move to Vivaldi. Naxos and Harmonia Mundi labels to spoil him would be great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing