Integra -- The Giant Killer

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Integra DHC-80.1

You can spend up to $40,000 on a surround processor.

It's my opinion that if you want a surround processor for your home theater, you don't need to spend the big bucks. We're talking relativity here. In this economy, it might sound offensive to refer to a luxury like a surround processor as a bargain even for around $2,000, but a bargain the Integra is. It'll decode all of the latest codecs, give you excellent video processing, automated calibration, room correction, or pass your audio and video through without harm so you can use a high end audio or video processor down stream.

The only thing it won't do is make your toast.

Integra is the true Giant Killer.

Attachments

• DHC_80_1_MDD_FR..jpg
    DHC_80_1_MDD_FR..jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,118
  • dtr_801_rear_75..jpg
    dtr_801_rear_75..jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,096
Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Integra DHC-80.1

MSRP $2,300

AUDIO PROCESSING:

• THX® Ultra2 Plus™ Certified with THX™ Neural Surround

• DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™,

DTS-HD Express, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus

• Toroidal Transformer Plus 2 Separate Power
Transformers for Audio & Video Processing

• Audyssey DSX™ (Dynamic Surround Expansion) & Dolby®
Pro Logic® IIz for New Surround Channels

• Burr-Brown 192 kHz / 32-Bit Low Jitter DAC (PCM 1795 x 6)

• Ultra-Low-Jitter PLL Circuitry to Improve Audio Quality

• Three Advanced TI (Aureus™) 32-Bit Processing DSP Chips

• Audyssey MultEQ XT™ Advanced Room Calibration & Correction

• Audyssey MultEQ Pro / Installer Ready w/ Target EQ Curve Editing

• Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for Loudness Correction

• Audyssey Dynamic Volume™ to Maintain Optimal Listening
Level & Dynamic Range

• Dolby Volume for Reference-Quality Listening Experience at
Any Volume

• 4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, Role Playing

• A-Form Listening Mode Memory & IntelliVolume Input Level
Calibration System

• Independent Crossover Adjustment for F/FH/FW/C/S/SB

• A/V Synchronization Function (up to 250 ms in 2 ms Steps)

• Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry

• Music Optimizer to Enhance Compressed Music Files

VIDEO PROCESSING:

• HDMI™ (v1.3a to Support 1080p, Deep Color™, x.v. Color™,
LipSync, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM)

• HDMI Video Upscaling (to 1080p/24) w/HQV Reon VX

• Component Video Upscaling (to 1080i) w/HQV Reon VX

• ISF Certified Calibration Controls per Input & Output
(30-color with Custom, Day, Night Memory)

http://integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DHC-80.1&class=Preamplifier&p=f

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

You got the wrong model :D

But I agree with you on this product. It supports all of the CODECS, supports Audyssey Pro, has balanced connections (at least XLR if they are not true balanced), has Dynamic EQ/Volume and, to me at least, sounds a lot better than my $14,000 Casablanca II (for which I got $1,000 when I sold it about a year ago !).

I'm fortunate that I'm not as picky about HT audio as I am two channel so this product is a real winner for me. If there is anything that would better meet my needs (and that must include the equivalent of Audyssey Pro, not just a frequency based EQ system), I'm not sure what it would be other than REALLY expensive.

How they sell all of that technology for the price is beyond me!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

Apparently, you haven't seen the new Breville processor... haha

We are talking about the 9.9, correct? I'm still saving for a combo preamp/processor and the Integra appears as a less costly stepping stone. Have my eye on the Krell S1200 and a few others.

Lee

MikeDuke

Jul 5, 2010
Eastern PA
I heard the Integra at someones house last Sat. It was a very impressive preamp. That may be the one for me. I will wait and see what happens after CEDIA though before I make a choice.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I currently own the 80.1 and have been happy with it. I had the 9.9 and it stopped working, so they replaced it with the 80.1. You do get better performance with separates. I sold my Anthem D2 to buy a separate preamp so that I could get better performance for 2-channel audio. I only use the 80.1 to power my rear speakers in HT. For the most part, it does a great job. When changing channels the 80.1 takes a while to go between resolutions. It takes a little more than a second and sometimes is quite irritating. The D2 switched like a champ but it had a faster processor. I am sure there are many other ways that the D2 is better, but for my money I choose to maximize my 2-channel experience.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
i bought a Denon 4310-ic for around 1600 bucks online while my Integra was being fixed. Their implementation of the Audessy system was much better than my older 9.9. I have always thought that Denon receivers had some of the best bottom end in HT. I still have it and need to sell it, but I considered keeping it and selling the 80.1 when it arrived.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
So, you prefer the Denon's Audyssey to the Integra's -- is that true for the 80.1? Would that be true for the new 80.2 supposedly due out this fall?

I am curious because I have a fairly new Pioneer SC-27, but ended up with separate amps so am considering selling it to help roll a pre/pro instead. However, now that the new Pio's are out, the value has plummeted, I am sure. I like MCACC, but would like a little more control, especially in the bass region, and extending the range (and number) of the Pio's PEQ would make a big difference to me.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I like the 80.1's Audyssey software compared to the 9.9. I felt the Denon and the 80.1 was very close. Plus, the build quality of the Integra product is much better than the Denon.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I own the Integra DTC-9.8 pre and a B&K 200.5 amp. I can't imagine any better sound than what I now have plus the video is great too.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I owned the 9.8 for a few years and am a big fan. It sounds good, and it simply worked, which is a victory in the HDMI processor world. Recently acquired a Classe SSP800 however and must say that the sonics are quite obviously in another league. It's not subtle, but shouldn't be given the price difference.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It has no room correction, just equalization.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Manual adjustment for each channel. Will play around with it after I measure the room.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing