Some More Evidence that Kids (American and Japanese) Prefer Good Sound

B. Hilton

Jun 6, 2012
La La Land
Hi there...this is interesting. I'm somewhat familiar with this area, but I'm not savvy to the marketing of it. Is the goal to sell better sound to kids based on a physiological benefit, or is the focus to develop a new youth market? In other words, is "poor" sound damaging to their ears in a way similar to the way "too loud" sound is?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---That is a fair and interesting question Betty.

I believe that there is a mix of various ingredients:
* Social & musical development by the mainstream artists.
* Calculated marketing assault.
* Profit incentive (money).
* Music recording/engineering with an emphasis on the aboves.

True; very bad sound, plus unintelligent message transfer (in general). ...No real taste sort of speak. Not good for our youngsters, IMO.

The music industry is shooting that stuff down our kids' throats. It's up to the kids to find their own way; because the way it is shown to them is the way of the 'fake', the untrue, the profit ($), the crap!
...Music that is (and a lot of other things ...).

*** As for what kind of gear, or speakers they prefer; I believe it is irrelative as the music directed towards them is crap anyway.
But for the kids who luv real music (from the heart, soul, and mind); then they're just like us;
they select their gear and their speakers based on their own personal preference,
and not based on measurements. ...And quality music recordings (hi res); then they can appreciate more the care given to the gear and speakers.

And that, is my honest

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think mostly for kids musc is not a primary activity. Thus they have other priorities . Mobility is a prime example. But once you have heard quality it's diffciult to revert.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
---That is a fair and interesting question Betty.

I believe that there is a mix of various ingredients:
* Social & musical development by the mainstream artists.
* Calculated marketing assault.
* Profit incentive (money).
* Music recording/engineering with an emphasis on the aboves.

True; very bad sound, plus unintelligent message transfer (in general). ...No real taste sort of speak. Not good for our youngsters, IMO.

The music industry is shooting that stuff down our kids' throats. It's up to the kids to find their own way; because the way it is shown to them is the way of the 'fake', the untrue, the profit ($), the crap!
...Music that is (and a lot of other things ...).

*** As for what kind of gear, or speakers they prefer; I believe it is irrelative as the music directed towards them is crap anyway.
But for the kids who luv real music (from the heart, soul, and mind); then they're just like us;
they select their gear and their speakers based on their own personal preference,
and not based on measurements. ...And quality music recordings (hi res); then they can appreciate more the care given to the gear and speakers.

And that, is my honest

I think the answer to Betty's original question is that the HK research is testing the conventional audiophile wisdom that the generations below us (us mostly being baby boomers) listen to highly compressed MP3s through cheap earbuds, wouldn't know good fidelity if they heard it, and probably have trained themselves to actually prefer lossy, digital, (according to conventional Audiophile wisdom) crappy sound. Why would HK invest in such research, even on this very small level? Because they have already invested deeply in the other research we've talked about here, that draws a clear statistical connection from good measured performance to listening preference, they're developing products based on that research and it would be a big problem for them if the next generation of music lovers negated the results.

Regarding kid's tastes and the music industry's Machiavelian ways, I think the answer is "Same as it ever was." We forget that even during the 60s and 70s, the music industry and the airwaves were full of pop pap, and LOTS of people bought it. And we forget that much of it was over-produced, over-compressed candy store junk written and played by callous pros just looking for a paycheck and sung by teen idols wholly created and owned by the major labels. Was there better music then? You bet. There's better music now. You just have to look a little harder for it. Next time your at the mall, look for the kid with some really nice IEMs stuck in his iPod. Ask him what he's listening to.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---This is 'funny' this entire Music/Movie business.
The comedians (Pop singers, Heavy Metal chansonniers, Punk poets, Rock yellers),
and the actors/actresses (Hollywood & all); they make millions of dollars (the popular ones, to the masses), and what they bring is mainly garbage! :b ...That's what I said; it's funny.

But our world is a reflection of these facts.

Money has nothing to do with intelligence, real talent, and true benefits to our societies.
Most people live the illusion, the grand road to nowhere. ...The imposed alley of life.

And the rest, the people with a real view of the world, they live simply, with peace, and love.
Their heart are much bigger in their pursuit of simplicity and excellence of life than the people driven by material gains.

* You wanna do a test? ...One that is accurate?
...Based on a business model? ...Based on a listening level?
...Universal preference? ...Start from the heart. :b

The real artists, the classical musicians who compose new stuff based on their own world views (not copied from the 'famous' known composers), the obscured ones from the back alleys, the ones who sing to their last love, who cry to their fathers, who learn from their experiences; they have already communicate their messages to them.
Repeating them is a mass marketed strategy that lost the true spirit of the deep soul.
Money kills the essence.

And that's the entire balance that each person weights in his life.
The ultimate goal is happiness. And if you can be happy without the financial traps of life, you're way ahead.

Choose with your heart.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, it looks that way on the surface, and there's a lot of truth in it, but if you scratch that surface just a bit you'll find artists who have produced work with great passion and integrity that have been pretty richly rewarded for it materially and will be rewarded historically in ways that pop tarts will never know. People will still know the work of Van Morrison, Herbie Hancock and Yo Yo Ma generations after Justin Bieber has been forgotten. Justice might be slow, but it's certain. I'm sure there were dozens of popular composers writing shallow operas and symphonies that amused and entertained the people. Now, we don't even know who they were. Mozart is still a household name.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---If we're talkin' 'bout Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Bach, Debussy, Ravel, and the likes; then it's diffferent. ...Money or no money; that is not the question.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
I'm sure it sounds pretty good and better then most are accustomed to.
But obviously it could have been better. Wilson speakers aren't that great and too expensive IMO. And though bookshelves work ok as absorbers, it can't compare to great treatment. These students have yet to experience something......

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm sure it sounds pretty good and better then most are accustomed to.
But obviously it could have been better. Wilson speakers aren't that great and too expensive IMO. And though bookshelves work ok as absorbers, it can't compare to great treatment. These students have yet to experience something......

I'm promoting the notion that young people enjoy quality sound reproduction. Wilson can promote themseles.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Even when the power is off from my sound system I can hear the birds singing.

I can only hope those birds are real.:b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I can only hope those birds are real.:b

---- Yes indeed they are Greg; I live in a sanctuary where many bird species abound.
It is truly magical, rewarding, soulfilling, peaceful, gracious, ...puts you totally at ease with the surrounding world.

* Nature and music are two of the great things in life for us adults, childrens, and babies.
Classical music; babies seem to enjoy, and Cat Stevens too. ...Young teenagers (chicks).

When I dream I dream music in color. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing