Toilets, Water Closets

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's no section for plumbing and fixtures so I guess this comes closest. I'm sure Amir and others that have been to Japan or Korea often will get this thread :)

Bidets aren't very popular in the US or where I've stayed in Europe. None of the houses we've owned in the US have had them and none of the hotels, even the top ones have either. They are fairly common in Asia and Japan is KING.

I don't want to be graphic but suffice it to say that transitioning from a toilet fitted with a bidet to one without one can be a literal pain in the @ss as you strive to fight off the highway named after a chocolatier in PA while going through rolls of trees turned into soft stuff.

After a number of official trips to Tokyo I decided "I gotta get me one of these!". While building our new house, aside from the music room, this was one big priority. Toto is the most popular brand with their Washlet series but in Japan there are quite a few others. While doing canvassing here however I was shocked at the insane prices they, the local distributors, wanted. In a subsequent trip we purchased...

The Throne

I wanted to call this thread The Game of Thrones but Orb owns that one.

So what's it got? It's not the top of the line nes plus ultra which has LED backlighting, an MP3 player and Butt Air Dryer. No I'm not kidding. What it's got is the retractable water jet things, a seat warmer, auto sensing seats that will spot you via IR and lift and close when you're done. The wife will love you forever. It's got a water heater, adjustable jets, deodorizer and self cleaning functions for the jet system controllable with a remote that can be mounted anywhere running on four AAA batteries.

As expected wipe time is cut down by a factor of 10 and toilet paper consumption by more than half.

The flush action uses little water, two flush actions actually, for number one and number two. That remains manual. Works like a charm. Woosh. Gone.

Last year we decided to gift our Dad a pair of these, well a model without the remotes but the same features, for his vacation home in Hawaii as he was having renovations done. Ah the joy :)

These things are now becoming more popular in the US it seems as there was a bunch of Washlets and equivalents available, yes, including the ones with warp drive. Great for you guys since unlike me, who bought a Japanese unit, your instructions come labeled in English whereas I had to go by trial and error, which if you'll forgive, I shall keep to myself.

IMO a must have in any home.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
warning for the guys - stay away from the button that says AKR........................ Automatic Kotex Remover :D. Try the model with BP........Ball Polisher

experienced bidets in our hotel room in Japan, my 82 yrs auntie really liked it and ordered one when she built her home in the Phils. A very cool thing to have.

I actually saw a basic model at Costco, here in Edmonton

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dude even the one shown in Cars 2 didn't have that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jack,

I would love to install such seats on my water closets. Are they available here?

These fantastic toilet seats seem to come standard in the hotels that I have stayed in in Japan. The most elaborate that I have experienced is in Universal Port Hotel in Osaka where even the door opening/closing and lights turning on/off functions are integrated to the water closet functions. Aside from Japan, Switzerland also has these seats in some select places. I experienced one such toilet seat in Switzerland that automatically washes the toilet seat after you use it. Wouldn't it be nice if airlines installed these in their toilets?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
you guys "crack" me up. Not to be the butt of the joke but several years ago while in France at a countryside restaurant, the toilet seat had a rotating bidet where if you pushed the button it sprayed you on the front and another push it sprayed your rear

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
we have a washlet and love it! Toto is the way to go, they come in all price ranges and entry level units are ~800. easy to install, i did it myself.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Toto is available locally Sam. They have practically all the models now. I'll ask Marge for their contact info.

Steve, did it play La Vie en Rose while rotating? LOL.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010

Build in iPod dock too
http://www.kohler.com/numi/

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Forum is aptly named WBF ....

Bidets are cool and actually very hygienic. In a country such as the USA where cleanliness is extreme (Purel and other hand sanitizers are a popular nonsense here in the States) ... You would think that Bidet would be more popular .. They aren't ... The family home still has one and it was refreshing (literally) to see still functioning and use it ... Bidets seem to be making some in-roads in the USA, slowly ... Saw them at Home Depot recently

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now I see this thread, Jack. I first got to see these 'elaborate' toilets in a Japanese Resto in Sta. Rosa called Ryuma. I didn't really take notice of it nor use its 'features' because all words were in Japanese and I didn't want to be sprayed with water on my pants of shirt even. :D It's only when my son told me that our Tokyo hotel's toilet seat heats up that I started to take notice. My wife had been wishing for a bidet in our house and when she told me about the Toto's fantastic features in our hotel, I took notice and tried it. I had fun the next few days. Erstwhile, my favorite indulgence in a hotel was the bathtub for a hot water soak. Too bad Hong Kong hotels don't have these Totos, the ones I stay, anyway. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And while we're at toilets, how bout this for 'extreme' toilet papers, in a restaurant in Tokyo. :D

20160709_114251.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We have a Toto: heated, waterjet, air vacuum for odors that automatically turns on if you lift off the seat, etc. My wife absolutely wanted one when we went under renovations. Setting aside all the toys since i never grew up with one, i will say it seems very well made, much better in fact than any other toilet i have seen.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In our house, we have always had a bidet. When the house was originally built, we had am Eljur. When the bathroom was remodeled about ten years later we got a Kohler. Due to areas of poor workmanship in drain pans and leaks that developed it needed a complete renovation and we got an American Standard. We like the American Standard best because it has the best spray and also has a diverter to allow water to flow through the rim to warm it um, which the Kohler did not have at the time.

I never has a problem of creating Rorschach blots going from the toilet to the bidet. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing