Leading High-End Audio Designers

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Any list would be sadly unfinished if Leo Spiegel isn't mentioned for the Apogee speaker line. Also, little known, for now, is Hung Ho who makes the Fire preamp.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was hoping someone else would say it. Roger Sanders and George Kaye.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Harry Nyquist and Claude Shannon? :)

Definitely Linkwitz. How many designers can get a credible 40 hz and a great soundstage out of household plumbing?

P

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
KS Park of Allnic Audio for tubed electronics and analog.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Dear MylesBastor: +++++ " which designers (or even stores) do you feel have had the most significant impact upon the high end audio industry? " +++++

first than all I would like to say that any manufacturer/designer that goes/marketing/commercial at the HEAM ( high end audio market ) deserve our each one " distinction ".

Reading over the thread and with all respect to each person that already posted IMHO all those " names " are important as all the ones we can find in the Stereophile Annual audio buyers gyide or the " old " Audio bible.

But from there to say whom were the ones that makes " the difference " needs IMHO a more in deep research and maybe more selctive and I'm not saying that all the ones name it in the thread are not important ones NO everyone is or was important but meny were " followers " but IMHO only a few were the " starters ".
Not only as designers but manufacturer names ( where we don't know the designers name. ) and some " names " that we normally do not think on them but that directly or indirectly help with significance to the HEAI grows.

Obviously that each one of us have different know how about and the other subject is that there are to many links in the whole HE audio chain and in each one link there are/is some one that makes " the difference ".

I don't know whom will be the best judge to name the ones that makes " the difference " for the better in each HE audio link, certainly I'm not.

I can write some important examples: the ones that start with the MC cartridge designs and that matketed ( because these ones IMHO were whom makes the real " the difference ". ), Joe Grado and Ortofon. Where can we put cartridge/tonearms manufacturers like: Fidelity Research , Supex, Satin, Audio Technica, Grace, Empire, ADC, Sonus, Stanton, Ikeda, Decca, etc, etc, Remember Klipsh? and his Klpishorns?. Remember Luxman with theirs vaccum hold down TTs?. Where is Marantz or Machintosh? ( were important? I don't know. ), Technics or Denon or Pioneer or Onkyo or Kenwood or Micro Seiki or Yamaha or Sony or Stax or Victor on TT, tonearms and cartridges and a full Japanese list that many of us are unaware of its existence or importance in the today HE status. Keith Monks. Rabco tonearm designer, etc, etc.

I think that list that makes " the difference " is a very hard task and certainly a welcome information when appear in the future.

regards and enjoy the music,
raul.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dear MylesBastor: +++++ " which designers (or even stores) do you feel have had the most significant impact upon the high end audio industry? " +++++

first than all I would like to say that any manufacturer/designer that goes/marketing/commercial at the HEAM ( high end audio market ) deserve our each one " distinction ".

Reading over the thread and with all respect to each person that already posted IMHO all those " names " are important as all the ones we can find in the Stereophile Annual audio buyers gyide or the " old " Audio bible.

But from there to say whom were the ones that makes " the difference " needs IMHO a more in deep research and maybe more selctive and I'm not saying that all the ones name it in the thread are not important ones NO everyone is or was important but meny were " followers " but IMHO only a few were the " starters ".
Not only as designers but manufacturer names ( where we don't know the designers name. ) and some " names " that we normally do not think on them but that directly or indirectly help with significance to the HEAI grows.

Obviously that each one of us have different know how about and the other subject is that there are to many links in the whole HE audio chain and in each one link there are/is some one that makes " the difference ".

I don't know whom will be the best judge to name the ones that makes " the difference " for the better in each HE audio link, certainly I'm not.

I can write some important examples: the ones that start with the MC cartridge designs and that matketed ( because these ones IMHO were whom makes the real " the difference ". ), Joe Grado and Ortofon. Where can we put cartridge/tonearms manufacturers like: Fidelity Research , Supex, Satin, Audio Technica, Grace, Empire, ADC, Sonus, Stanton, Ikeda, Decca, etc, etc, Remember Klipsh? and his Klpishorns?. Remember Luxman with theirs vaccum hold down TTs?. Where is Marantz or Machintosh? ( were important? I don't know. ), Technics or Denon or Pioneer or Onkyo or Kenwood or Micro Seiki or Yamaha or Sony or Stax or Victor on TT, tonearms and cartridges and a full Japanese list that many of us are unaware of its existence or importance in the today HE status. Keith Monks. Rabco tonearm designer, etc, etc.

I think that list that makes " the difference " is a very hard task and certainly a welcome information when appear in the future.

regards and enjoy the music,
raul.

Completely agree with Joe Grado. No list is complete w/o him.

Stuart Hegeman = HK and many other ventures
Dick Sequerra/Sid Smith = Marantz
Nakatsuka = Ortofon before moving to Namiki and eventually ZYX.

But in the end, we're not talking about products; we're talking about designers whose products advanced the state of the art in high end audio. I'm not sure all the products you've listed fall into that category. Remember, like the Baseball Hall of Fame, there are always borderline candidates who had great careers but not quite worthy of being inducted into the Hall. But I'm sure there also a few names not mentioned and that's why we're compiling the list, not criticizing other people choices. It would also be interesting in the long run to create a geneology of audio designers and from what original companies they began at. Something like all the people who came out of Dayton Wright.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Completely agree with Joe Grado. No list is complete w/o him.

Stuart Hegeman = HK and many other ventures
Dick Sequerra/Sid Smith = Marantz
Nakatsuka = Ortofon before moving to Namiki and eventually ZYX.

But in the end, we're not talking about products; we're talking about designers whose products advanced the state of the art in high end audio. I'm not sure all the products you've listed fall into that category. Remember, like the Baseball Hall of Fame, there are always borderline candidates who had great careers but not quite worthy of being inducted into the Hall. But I'm sure there also a few names not mentioned and that's why we're compiling the list, not criticizing other people choices. It would also be interesting in the long run to create a geneology of audio designers and from what original companies they began at. Something like all the people who came out of Dayton Wright.

Dear Myles: Yes, that designers geneology could be great.

My point is ( like I posted ) that every single designer deserve a high respect but some one with the right know how must have to distinguish those designers/manufacturers that made a true breakthrough in difference with those other " followers " that help to the HE grow up but that were/are great " followers " but not really a " breakthrough " ones. As I posted I'm not that " some one " with the in deep knowledge in each audio link to make that list but for me the important subject should be the " breakthrough " designer/manufacturer or product ( some one designed that product but with some big Japanese enterprises is almost imposible to know which one was the designer. ).

One easy example is Ortofon: IMHO with out Ortofon , that was whom impulse the LOMC cartridges, maybe the MC does not exist in commercial way and with its high success. This can you read in the Ortofon ( Petersen/Poulsen. ) site:

++++ " 1946 :The first mono cutterhead for the gramophone industry is developed, succeeded by development of the world’s first Moving Coil cartridge developed by Ortofon. " +++++

Koetsu, Dynavector, Supex and the like IMHO were/are " followers ", very important ones indeed but just " followers ".

Dr. A.J. VdH was/is IMHO a breakthrough in stylus shape design, he was/is not a follower on that regard but the one that made " the difference ".

Anyway, interesting thread.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dear Myles: Yes, that designers geneology could be great.

My point is ( like I posted ) that every single designer deserve a high respect but some one with the right know how must have to distinguish those designers/manufacturers that made a true breakthrough in difference with those other " followers " that help to the HE grow up but that were/are great " followers " but not really a " breakthrough " ones. As I posted I'm not that " some one " with the in deep knowledge in each audio link to make that list but for me the important subject should be the " breakthrough " designer/manufacturer or product ( some one designed that product but with some big Japanese enterprises is almost imposible to know which one was the designer. ).

One easy example is Ortofon: IMHO with out Ortofon , that was whom impulse the LOMC cartridges, maybe the MC does not exist in commercial way and with its high success. This can you read in the Ortofon ( Petersen/Poulsen. ) site:

++++ " 1946 :The first mono cutterhead for the gramophone industry is developed, succeeded by development of the world’s first Moving Coil cartridge developed by Ortofon. " +++++

Koetsu, Dynavector, Supex and the like IMHO were/are " followers ", very important ones indeed but just " followers ".

Dr. A.J. VdH was/is IMHO a breakthrough in stylus shape design, he was/is not a follower on that regard but the one that made " the difference ".

Anyway, interesting thread.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Raul:

Perhaps this is where language fails us. As I said, there were athletes that had really solid careers but don't belong in the hall of fame. Same for audio designers.

I'd have to say that one of my criteria would be that they weren't one hit wonders and contributed in several areas of high-end audio - such as say Dick Sequerra in speaker, amp, preamp and tuner design--and even radio station design. Edward Vilchur's many contribution as well as Stuart Hegeman. There's no question that we in the US tend to be slanted toward US manufacturers; read Ken Kessler's book and there is a different world of designers in the UK. Remember that it wasn't probably until the '90s that US high-end audio products really made a dent in the UK market.

Actually one would have to give kudos also to Joe Grado for the MC. As I remember, he kept MCs out of the market for a long time since he had the patent on them here. My memory could be failing me too here.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
There's no question that we in the US tend to be slanted toward US manufacturers; read Ken Kessler's book and there is a different world of designers in the UK. Remember that it wasn't probably until the '90s that US high-end audio products really made a dent in the UK market.

Myles, which of KK's books are you referring to here? I only know of two: the McIntosh one and the Quad one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, which of KK's books are you referring to here? I only know of two: the McIntosh one and the Quad one.

There's a third one: it's KK's view of the development of the high-end industry and a few other funny insights. It's cheap and funny. I'll get you the name.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Sound Bites: 50 Years of Hi-Fi News?

Forget Amazon.com ($360+!). Amazon.co.uk has one copy and ABE has only the same copy, same seller @ US $14.71. Move fast!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sound Bites: 50 Years of Hi-Fi News?

Forget Amazon.com ($360+!). Amazon.co.uk has one copy and ABE has only the same copy, same seller @ US $14.71. Move fast!

Yes that's it. Age is taking its toll :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing