What is wrong with me?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
As much as I love the pursuit of the high-end, and buy and sell to try and accomplish my audio goals, I sometimes get reminded why I am in this game. What brought this on? I have been actively involved in several threads regarding some SOTA gear, resolution theories, and some serious audio engineering minds (not me;)). Then, I get in my 1995 BMW 540i with custom stereo, and I have have blast driving and listening to tunes. It brings me back to my roots. It is all about enjoying your audio system, not if it is the best on the planet (even though mine is close ;)).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As much as I love the pursuit of the high-end, and buy and sell to try and accomplish my audio goals, I sometimes get reminded why I am in this game. What brought this on? I have been actively involved in several threads regarding some SOTA gear, resolution theories, and some serious audio engineering minds (not me;)). Then, I get in my 1995 BMW 540i with custom stereo, and I have have blast driving and listening to tunes. It brings me back to my roots. It is all about enjoying your audio system, not if it is the best on the planet (even though mine is close ;)).

The problem is that this society rewards mediocrity whether it be audio, exercising, craftsmanship, etc. Anyone who aspires to greater values is denigrated. It's the Japanese transistor mentality or as HP the McDonalds mentality.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I also think that sometimes in our quest to pursue the high end, either personally or professionally, we lose sight of the main goal, and that is to enjoy the moment, relish the now and embrace the present. I forget sometimes, taht it is my perception of what I hear from my stereo that defines me, not what my stereo sounds like. In other words, and not to be overly Bronte Sisters, the best times I remember about my listening experiences, have more to do with my state of mind, not my state of the art. Now, I don't expect audio journalists to write about amps or speakers based upon their sophomore love life that includes Barry White in the backseat of their parents Buick, but we need to remember the emotional attachment stereo gear has to us. Just as important as my Triumph TR4A was to me becoming a man, so was my Infinity Quantums and Phase Linear 400.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When you drive your car and listen to the music you are directly relating to the countryside.
...Or to the city lights at night.

It ain't the same as sitting in your living room doing the same. ...It is a dream's stance at home.
...Another transfixation of life.

That's how I hear it. :b

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ Not when I'm is listening to Marvin Gay or Cat Stevens. It does not matter where I are sitting, as the surroundings become 2nd to the music.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Now, I don't expect audio journalists to write about amps or speakers based upon their sophomore love life that includes Barry White in the backseat of their parents Buick

Thought what their writings are based upon is often no more relevant or subtantive.

but we need to remember the emotional attachment stereo gear has to us.

Personally, I hope it is the music that has the emotional attachment.

Just as important as my Triumph TR4A was to me becoming a man, so was my Infinity Quantums and Phase Linear 400.

To loop back, can't say I've ever had a car or a stereo that made me a man. That happened in the back seat of my parent's Buick.

Tim

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Personally, I hope it is the music that has the emotional attachment.
Stereo gear allows the emotional attachment, unless one sings to one's self. And having to rebuild my TR-4's engine twice on my own, I learned to take the bull by the horns

To loop back, can't say I've ever had a car or a stereo that made me a man. That happened in the back seat of my parent's Buick.
I had Marvin Gay playing in my bedroom where happily and fortunately my stereo was also.
Tim

Ah, the good old days, cars, girls and great stereos/music.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
As we all get older, one might reflect that the good ol' days are today. ;)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
As we all get older, one might reflect that the good ol' days are today. ;)

Very true! But I do not miss my decline in testosterone.;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
*chuckles*

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing