For tube/ss lovers: Where do you feel tubes should be

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
In my experience, tube amps provide the magic.

Thats always been my findings too. i use all tubes right now, but have preferred SS preamp and tube amps when mixing the two.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I use a Musical Fidelity tube buffer because of the input impedence mismatching between my Lamm amps and the amps in the JL Audio Gotham subs

Too bad you cannot tube roll or change the wall wart.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
What (as far a impedance match) do you guys think about my Burmester 911 MK3 and Concert Fidelity CF-080 LX?

CF -080 LX:
Input Impedance: 100kohms
Outputs: 1-Line Level Output (RCA)
Gain: Selectable between 6dB and 12dB
Tube Complement: 12AU7 (2) for gain (tube-swapping possible), 6CA4 (1) for rectification

Burmester 911 MK3:
23K unbalanced
2K balanced

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What (as far a impedance match) do you guys think about my Burmester 911 MK3 and Concert Fidelity CF-080 LX?

CF -080 LX:
Input Impedance: 100kohms
Outputs: 1-Line Level Output (RCA)
Gain: Selectable between 6dB and 12dB
Tube Complement: 12AU7 (2) for gain (tube-swapping possible), 6CA4 (1) for rectification

Burmester 911 MK3:
23K unbalanced
2K balanced

You can probably get away with that but don't have the equation at my fingertips. You should watch out when the tube preamps output impedance is around 500 K or greater (like my old ART).

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ Thanks Miles, much appreciated.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
^ Thanks Miles, much appreciated.

Although in looking at it again, I don't know what the story is if using balanced. Also, I assume when you said input impedance on the CF, you meant output impedance?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Although in looking at it again, I don't know what the story is if using balanced. Also, I assume when you said input impedance on the CF, you meant output impedance?

No, input impedance is what the CF website publishes.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The ratio is 10:1 that you want at minimum.

As a former pass amp owner, i can safely say there arent many tube preamps with low output impedance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The ratio is 10:1 that you want at minimum.

As a former pass amp owner, i can safely say there arent many tube preamps with low output impedance.

I have posted it in another thread, but when using tube preamplfiers the situation is more complicated then just 10:1. The tube preamplifiers usually have a capacitor output that will cut bass frequencies when used with low impedance amplifiers and most tube stages will have much higher distortion in loads bellow 50 kohms. There are exceptions to this - the Atma-sphere preamplfiers are prepared to drive a 600 ohm load.
Although there are no rules, from my experience with a limited number of preamplifiers I got the impression that tube preamplifier prefer a load around 100 kohms.

And yes, I prefer tubes - lots of them if possible! :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the Joule Electra (tube) has an output impedance of just 400 ohms and could easily drive the aleph's low input impedance of 23k without roll off of the high freq. it also has two gain settings to optimize for for best s/n with the widest range of amps, speakers, etc.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How about tube pre and hybrid amp?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ My Concert Fidelity CF-080 LX also has two gain settings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing