What type of cables are you using on your RTR's

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Since most of us use hi-end cables on other sources, I was just wondering what type of cables others are using from their decks to preamp.

I have a couple of decks across the room from my main electronics and I had a friend make up some fairly long cables. I'm interested what others have done for these long runs.

Also have you AB'd the low price cables against "hi-end" and if so was there any difference to your ear.

Please I don't want this to turn into a no & yes cable thread. I'm looking for a fairly brief experience accounting.

Roger

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
JPS Aluminata balanced XLR

2 Studers each have 7m pair + powercords.

Regards,

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Roger:

Nothing scientific done yet but have some things to compare.

Now from the R2R to electronics is a crap shoot other than trying to get the lowest impedance cable possible. Originally used a 24 inch section of Cardas GR but now am using a 24 inch section of Transparent (sans boxes). I also have some other cables in to try such as Dynastrand.

From the electronics to the preamp. Originally with the Repro used a balanced to SE section of Cardas GR. Had been also experimenting with a SE piece of Transparent Audio that I thought overall was better though need to go back and relisten to the upper octaves. Otherwise was more detailed and transparent, as one might expect with one less gain stage. I think though that the SE out is also more sensitive to cable length as the output impedance is 600 Ohms? (I'll have to check this?)

I'm now using the Transparent on the K/C though would love to hear a section of MIT. I'm also going to listen to the Dynastrand and Asterope cables.

As far as PCs, am using ESP Reference cables though would like to try others down the road.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Myles,

I wish I had more room and smaller decks.

I have been fooling with cables for about a year now. When I finally got my Ampex 440 online I went down to the local pro audio store and picked up some cables,nothing special,but they were 12 foot, which I needed. This weekend I moved the 440 closer to my preamp and decided to try a NBS IC. I had done this before with a crown deck and there wasn't much difference. Yesterday was a different story. Maybe when I changed the type of PC's on my amps to match my speaker cables I created a synergy,but the NBS on the 440 was a big positive.

So now I have my Studer sitting across the room thinking....this is going to be expensive,lol.

Bruce B's solution doesn't make me feel too good. I might need to make Walter Fields a deal he can't refuse or maybe it's the other way around?

Anyway the NBS delivered a humongus soundstage,gobs of transparency and made my laugh and cry, which for me is always the supreme test.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Roger,

Currently, Mogami Neglex cable, 2534, at 25'. Will eventually upgrade to AudioQuest Sky, Tara Labs 0.8 (or better), or KS 1130/1136, but at a considerably shorter length! :)

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
0.6m XLR cable silver smith paladium fr Studer A810 to Repro. Fr Repro to CJ Act 2.2 , 2m Von Gaylord Chinchilla IC, XLR to RCA. Lessloss DFPC PC for Studer and Lessloss DFPC signature for Tube Repro

John Brooks

Apr 26, 2010
Washington (the state)
What type of cables are you using on your R2R's

Shunyata Antares interconnects, with Shunyata Python Helix power cords.

I originally started with Shunyata Altair and Taipan Helix, figuring the repro electronics in the Studer A807 wouldn't need anything better. Later, on a whim, I took an Antares off my phono pre and put it on the tape machine. Wow! Speed, resolution, dynamics, air - all improved. Then experimented with upgrading the power cord. Not as big a difference as with the ICs, but still worth it.

I've subsequently upgraded the fuse on both the Studer and Otari MTR-15 to Furutech ceramic/copper/rhodium. Antares IC on the Studer is 1.5 meter (I need a 2.0 though) and 1.0 meter on the Otari.

Am also using a 0.5 meter Kimber Select KS-1021 between the Dolby A unit (363) and deck when playing back Dolby A master tapes. A good cable, on par with Altair IMO, so I will upgrade this to Antares when the opportunity presents itself.

Bottom line: cables matter even with stock electronics (more so with good tube repro). The usual common sense also applies: you don't put Pirelli P Zero's on a Prius, so keep cable quality for a tape machine in line with whatever else is used in the system.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
on my Studer A-820 i use a Jena Labs 'basic' power cord i've had laying around for awhile; maybe it's time to do a little experimenting with that. my Ampex ATR-102 has a 'captured' power cord installed by Jeff Gillman who did the complete restoration. currently they are plugged into a Jena Labs cryo'd outlet. my plan is to switch the Jena duplex outlet to an unused Oyaide R-I with WPC-Z outlet base. i have 2 of these sitting unused in the rear corners of my room from when i had my multi-channel there. i know i can get more performance in this area.

this past week i've made a large change to my RTR system set-up and so my cables have changed.

i added the King/Cello Tape Repro/Phono to my system which means that i'm no longer useing my 8 meter Audience AU 24 XLR interconnects from either the Studer or Ampex. now i'm using 'Ki Choi-'Select' -nuclear testing microcable' direct 'hard' wired to the head switch on my Studer to the RCA inputs on the King/Cello. and replacing the 8 meter run of AU 24 is an 8 meter run of the darTZeel 'zeel' cable. this is a cable designed for the 50 ohm BNC interface used on the darTZeel amps and preamp, as well as on the Playback Designs. i had Charles King integrate the 50 ohm interface into the King/Cello. it sounds magnificent. it's hard to judge the actual contribution of the cable with the change to the King/Cello; but based on my previous listening to the King/Cello using RCA's and XLR's, the 'zeel' cables are really taking things to a new level of dynamic life, bass slam and clarity.

on the practical side of things, i already owned the 'zeel' 8 meter as i had it left over from my upgrade to the Evolution Acoustics version of the 'zeel'. and......the darTZeel version of the 'zeel' cable uses very thin wire which i was able to thread between my carpet and trim piece of the hardwood on the leading edge of my hardwood floor where it meets my carpet. so i no longer have the damn cable running across my room from side to side under foot. that was bugging me to no end, the anal-retentive neat-nik that i admit to being.

i'm currently using an old Bob Crump SLVR by TG power cord on the King/Cello. again; when i get around to it i'll be doing some power cord experimentation there......Rich Brown and Myles say the King/Cello is quite power cord sensitive.

with the King/Cello singing so sweetly; i've listened to more tape in the last few days than i've listened to in 6 months. so messing around with the power grid for the RTR's is now a priority. hard to imagine it getting better but it likely will.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Shunyata Antares interconnects, with Shunyata Python Helix power cords.

I originally started with Shunyata Altair and Taipan Helix, figuring the repro electronics in the Studer A807 wouldn't need anything better. Later, on a whim, I took an Antares off my phono pre and put it on the tape machine. Wow! Speed, resolution, dynamics, air - all improved. Then experimented with upgrading the power cord. Not as big a difference as with the ICs, but still worth it.

I've subsequently upgraded the fuse on both the Studer and Otari MTR-15 to Furutech ceramic/copper/rhodium. Antares IC on the Studer is 1.5 meter (I need a 2.0 though) and 1.0 meter on the Otari.

Am also using a 0.5 meter Kimber Select KS-1021 between the Dolby A unit (363) and deck when playing back Dolby A master tapes. A good cable, on par with Altair IMO, so I will upgrade this to Antares when the opportunity presents itself.

Bottom line: cables matter even with stock electronics (more so with good tube repro). The usual common sense also applies: you don't put Pirelli P Zero's on a Prius, so keep cable quality for a tape machine in line with whatever else is used in the system.

Those suckers are pretty heavy though aren't they? I'm just stay away from these heavy cables lately since the last ones in my system caused the amps AC connection on both amps to detach from the chassis as well as really affecting the RCA. And I have to say, winced when saw what they did to the other RCAs in my system :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i'm currently using an old Bob Crump SLVR by TG power cord on the King/Cello. again; when i get around to it i'll be doing some power cord experimentation there......Rich Brown and Myles say the King/Cello is quite power cord sensitive.

with the King/Cello singing so sweetly; i've listened to more tape in the last few days than i've listened to in 6 months. so messing around with the power grid for the RTR's is now a priority. hard to imagine it getting better but it likely will.

I'm not sure how sensitive Charlies unit is to AC cords. All I've tried right now is the ESP.

What I do know though and this was inadvertently revealed (because had forgotten in switching between the Repro and KC), was the differences between a length of ESP Reference AC PC that had been treated with the Cable Cooker and the other length that hadn't been treated. For one thing, it almost sounded like the bass was missing from unit til realized and put in the treated AC cord :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

Would you mind clarifying? Thanks.

Oh when I saw the heavy ICs drooping and pulling on the RCAs on the back of the preamp, phono, etc. Don't think I'll be going to heavy cables any more.

Does anyone remember those cables years ago from St. Louis that were essentially a copper pipe and nearly unbendable?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Since most of us use hi-end cables on other sources, I was just wondering what type of cables others are using from their decks to preamp.

I have a couple of decks across the room from my main electronics and I had a friend make up some fairly long cables. I'm interested what others have done for these long runs.

Also have you AB'd the low price cables against "hi-end" and if so was there any difference to your ear.

Please I don't want this to turn into a no & yes cable thread. I'm looking for a fairly brief experience accounting.

Roger

We use Studer A80 and Royer ribbon tube mic for recording, all cables are home made with silver, include 50 ft long mic cable, there were big sound different between the cable come with the mic, and even a silver power cord to recorder A80 also had a better sound from recording

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing