Weiss Medea vs. Medea+

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I don't suspect I will get a response right away, but hopefull at some point someone will come across this thread and be able to provide some perspective :).

I currently own a Weiss Medea DAC, and am considering having it upgraded to the 2011 Medea+ spec which will replace the 2000 AD1955 DAC chip with a 2011 32bit ESS9018 and replace the entire analogue output stage with Weiss's latest and greatest SOTA OP1-BP discrete opamp based output stage.

Further info: http://designwsound.com/dwsblog/2011/12/medeaop1-bp-board/

Looks great on paper but I am wondering if anyone can compare the differences in sound. I have tried getting my hands on a Medea+ unit but have been unable to do so.

Any impressions are highly appreciated!

Last edited:

earflappin

Jul 30, 2010
Joost, there are not many posts/reviews out there on the Medea Plus. Keith from Purite Audio in the UK who regularly auditions and sells the top DACs in the world rates it as the best he has heard...better than the StahlTek which was a previous favorite of his. That's the only data point I can provide.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks, yes I have seen some of his posts. I have also read various accounts on the audiogon forums of the Medea+ being a significant step up and considered by some there to outclass the Scarlatti by some margin.

I will soon be able to answer my own question as I have just placed an order on an ex-demo unit, I will report back on my findings.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joost,

The Medea+ should be a great performer. Please let us know how it works out.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I understand Weiss makes very good stuff, but this is the company that, a couple of years ago, took a DAC from the pro line, put a nice faceplate on it, marked it up by $3,000 and sold it under the label "Weiss High End." I think they called it the Minerva.

The wise consumer would take a very close look at Weiss Professional products before pulling the trigger on any Weiss High End items. Caveat Emptor.

Tim

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes that is right (I used to own the DAC2). The DAC1mk2 is the pro version of the Medea. Daniel Weiss is very transparent about this. Does it make Weiss High End expensive or Weiss Pro cheap? With pro gear you don't get dealer support; home demo's, installation, after sales service, etc, it is typically sold through b2b channels. I doubt that Weiss high end has more markup then other high end brands like dCs, esoteric, etc. So the way I guess to look at it is that the pro gear is a terrific bargain should you not need the service or mind those aesthetics in your hifi rack.

earflappin

Jul 30, 2010
Yes that is right (I used to own the DAC2). The DAC1mk2 is the pro version of the Medea. Daniel Weiss is very transparent about this. Does it make Weiss High End expensive or Weiss Pro cheap? With pro gear you don't get dealer support; home demo's, installation, after sales service, etc, it is typically sold through b2b channels. I doubt that Weiss high end has more markup then other high end brands like dCs, esoteric, etc. So the way I guess to look at it is that the pro gear is a terrific bargain should you not need the service or mind those aesthetics in your hifi rack.

What is the pro version of the Medea Plus? The DAC1mk2 doesn't appear to have the "Plus" upgrade. Thanks.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Weiss does offer the new DAC chip/analogue board upgrade on the DAC1mk2 also, I confirmed this with Daniel. He also mentioned a retrofittable USB input option will become available for both units which is the same chipset as the DAC202U enabling compatibility with non-firewire music servers such as the Aurender and the SoTM. If you have the financial means you should definitely audition this DAC, it is an absolute gem and completely under-hyped as it arguably bests every other DAC on the market today, particularly in the context of a computer/MAC based and power-amp-direct setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing