Listening Tests On Room Correction Products

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Since I have been falsely accused of making *Bogus* claims, I've decided to initiate an effort to start some threads on subjects which involve more than just subjective listening preferences and evaluations based solely on one's ears. In other words I will endeavor to bring a little objective science into the mix for those interested.

Many know Sean Olive, Director of Acoustic Research for Harman International who directs the corporate research and development group and oversees the subjective evaluation of new audio products through, amongst other things, blind listening tests. Prior to 1993, he was a research scientist at the National Research Council of Canada.

Dr. Olive presented at the recent 127th AES convention in NYC the results of some controlled listening tests and objective measurements on different room correction products. His blog on the subject is:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/11/subjective-and-objective-evaluation-of.html

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
and a fine blog it is! This particular subject is the very one from which I referenced Harman's test results "preferred curve" in a recent discussion with Marty.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Let me see if Sean will write for the forum... do you have a personal connection to him? If not, I'll check and see if he's interested.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Nicholas, I do not, but I had the very same thought. Maybe if we both pursue this we might succeed in getting him to join.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
It is interesting to note that the preferred Target Curve is almost a straight line with a 10db drop from 20hz to 20K hz. I have not looked at every supplied target curve in the Tact but the ones I have tend to have more of a shelf approach -- all of which are modifiable. That will give me even more stuff to play with and occupy my time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting that. I had not seen it in a while and now with my new "toy" it should prove to be a nice reference point

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
It is interesting to note that the preferred Target Curve is almost a straight line with a 10db drop from 20hz to 20K hz. I have not looked at every supplied target curve in the Tact but the ones I have tend to have more of a shelf approach -- all of which are modifiable. That will give me even more stuff to play with and occupy my time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting that. I had not seen it in a while and now with my new "toy" it should prove to be a nice reference point

Chuck, if you send me a PM with your email address, I can send you TacT curve files, including the B&K curve Marty posted about last week.

Ken

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I just saw this post. I will send u a PM with my email address. My TCS unit should arrive tommorrow!!!!!!!
Chuck, sent you an email, but the B&K target curve, as well as the one I principally use are both posted here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?723-Target-Curves&p=6411&viewfull=1#post6411. Click the link(s) at the bottom of the post, download to your PC, drop them in the appropriate curve folder in your TacT software and call them up from within the GUI. Holler if you need help. :)

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing