Most Over Hyped Band Today?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Interesting

You touched on an interesting topic.

There is a tendency by the press to correlate YouTube hits, Facebook friends, and number of streams as somehow a measure of quality.

So a horrible song by a horrible band that is streamed or downloaded 3 million times somehow mean
they must be talented.

I think a lot of bands today are over-hyped, what with all of the social media sites and their resultant expectations. The vast majority of those bands should never have been brought to the spotlight as they are marginal at best, but sites like YouTube and Facebook make it easy to get them there and for people to see what they have to offer.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The sorriest bastard on the planet earth is the moron who threw the Beatles out of his office when they came by with their early demos.

I rate that as bad a business decision as their every was. That guy probably never slept well again.

Interestingly, and conversely, when Dr. Dre came by Jimmy Iovine's office with a bunch of rap demos, he hated it, but thought
he could sell it. He is now worth 200 million.

I've heard several people say that The Beatles were the most over-rated and over-hyped band ever. If one is not a fan or only marginally so, I could understand that opinion.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It looks to me as though this topic is quickly devolving ..to an expression of musical tastes
What else can this thread be?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Florence and the Machine and Arcade Fire seem well overrated to me.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Jack White - The White stripes.

I like him, but I'm not getting all of the accolades just yet.

Agreed, and he's a bit of a tool as well.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
I nominate Nickelback. Thier lead singer has a very raspy voice.
If you like that, you'll like almost every song they make.
I just don't.
If the band wasn't hyped so much, it wouldn't be so bad, IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing