ARC VS115 has arrived

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My ARC VS115 arrived today. I unpacked it and was/am very happy with the condition. It looks great and has obviously been well taken care of. ARC includes a massive 20A power cord for the amp which makes the power cord that Krell sent me for my KSA-250 look puny. The VS115 came with the Tung Sol KT-120 output tubes. The VS115 weighs about half of what the KSA-250 weighs (the power transformer in the KSA-250 weighs more than the entire VS115) so it was no big deal to carry it downstairs myself.

I lashed up the VS115 to my speakers and the Krell KBL preamp. I’m using MIT balanced ICs between the preamp and power amp. Somehow I doubt that the KBL/ARC VS115 is a match made in heaven, but it’s the best I have right now. The input impedance on the ARC VS115 is 300K via the balanced connections.

First of all, the VS115 like every other amp I have owned either SS or tube is dead quiet. None of the KSA-250 nonsense going on with trying to jump through your butt in order to eliminate hum that you can’t eliminate. I have the VS115 plugged into the same 20A outlet I had the KSA-250 plugged into.

It’s way too early for me to give any impressions and it may have to wait until I have a more suitable preamp. One thing is for sure, I haven’t heard anything that has bummed me out yet.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My ARC VS115 arrived today. I unpacked it and was/am very happy with the condition. It looks great and has obviously been well taken care of. ARC includes a massive 20A power cord for the amp which makes the power cord that Krell sent me for my KSA-250 look puny. The VS115 came with the Tung Sol KT-120 output tubes. The VS115 weighs about half of what the KSA-250 weighs (the power transformer in the KSA-250 weighs more than the entire VS115) so it was no big deal to carry it downstairs myself.

I lashed up the VS115 to my speakers and the Krell KBL preamp. I’m using MIT balanced ICs between the preamp and power amp. Somehow I doubt that the KBL/ARC VS115 is a match made in heaven, but it’s the best I have right now. The input impedance on the ARC VS115 is 300K via the balanced connections.

First of all, the VS115 like every other amp I have owned either SS or tube is dead quiet. None of the KSA-250 nonsense going on with trying to jump through your butt in order to eliminate hum that you can’t eliminate. I have the VS115 plugged into the same 20A outlet I had the KSA-250 plugged into.

It’s way too early for me to give any impressions and it may have to wait until I have a more suitable preamp. One thing is for sure, I haven’t heard anything that has bummed me out yet.

Somehow, see you much happier with the ARC and tubes. Never pictured you cut out as a ss type of guy :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Happy you got a great amplifier. The VS115 is an ARC best buy. Do not forget to check the bias current of the tubes - it is very easy to do. Do not be worried with small imbalances between the tubes - it is normal!

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Mark,

What's your speaker system? I love the look of the ARc VS115, it's so retro looking I want to run out, buy one and wire up to a pair of giant Bozaks!!!
Too bad about the Krell, they can be extraordinary if working properly.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Somehow, see you much happier with the ARC and tubes. Never pictured you cut out as a ss type of guy :)

I did kind of have that 'whore in church' feeling.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
micro-I need to call ARC in the morning and have them send me the bias screw driver. I didn't get that with the amp.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

What's your speaker system? I love the look of the ARc VS115, it's so retro looking I want to run out, buy one and wire up to a pair of giant Bozaks!!!
Too bad about the Krell, they can be extraordinary if working properly.

Peter-The Def Techs BP-7000SC speakers.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Tube hum is better sounding than SS hum, anyway.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
You lucky dog. I roll with a VS55.

Match it with a tube pre and it might be you just might be off the merry go round for life.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Congrats on the ARC. If memory serves, the VS115 was the ARC amp that my dealer demo'd my Magnepan 1.7's with. Of course he was using the new reference preamp with it. It was quite a match with a wonderful synergy.

Enjoy the sound of quietness.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congrats Mark. That is a nice sounding amp.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congrats, Mark. I got the same amp last year though mine was factory fitted with SED 6550 power tubes. Previously I had the VS110 though for the most part Iof its life I replaced the 6550s asap with SED KT88s in my desire to hear the sound of the 88s then. The VS115 to me is quick, clear and has hots of detail. The 600 hours burn in period is a pain and during this time, I felt the sound changed for the better in terms of clarity and dynamics. I still want to fit them with KT88s or KT120s in the near term. Just enjoying the amp as it is and as what I can offer as is at the moment. Would look forward to reading your report soon.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Congrats MEP on the purchase. Always have liked that chassis since introduced on the VS110. The 115 is supposed to be a signficant upgrade.

I'm debating SET vs Push-Pull for my next amp right now.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Guys-Thanks for all the kind words on my decision to purchase the VS115. I did jot some notes down on the first night of listening which were all positive, but I want to spend more time with this amp before I make any statements about how it sounds. Not only am I listening to a new amp, I’m listening to a new output tube (the KT-120) which I have never heard before either. I will tell you that I’m happy with my decision so far.

I do know that the Krell KBL preamp is not the right match for this amp and I’m hindering its ultimate performance by using it. The balanced input impedance of the VS115 is very high at 300K. The KBL is not a high gain preamp. With other amps though, I never had to turn the volume knob much past 9:00 to get the volume level I like. Not so with the ARC VS115 running in balanced mode with the KBL. I have to turn the volume up to around 12:00 to get the same level which is highly unusual in my room.

The good news is the amp is dead quiet as I expected it would be. And after the Krell KSA-250 fiasco, that is quite a relief. As soon as Krell repairs the KSA-250 (or tells me it’s just fine) and the new owner pays me, I will start looking around for a tube preamp to mate up with the VS115. I want to do better than the LS-17 that I owned before (and right now wish I had back) though my opinion of it might change drastically when mated to the VS115.

I do think the VS115 is a very cool looking amp. It looks better in life than it does in the pictures. I did buy this amp used on Audiogon, but I couldn’t be happier with the condition of the amp. It looks like new to me. I did call ARC and have them send me the non-conductive bias adjustment tool.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Well, I would love to buy a brand-spanking new LS-27, but I'm not sure if my pockets are that deep. ARC says it sounds better than the REF-3 which is high praise. For the price of a good used REF-3, I could buy an LS-27.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
is the Ref 3 tube or ss rectified? i know the Ref 2 was tube rectified

i think the problem with the LS series i had is that it has SS power supply. i would avoid anything similar or just buy an ss preamp instead.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing