Soundkeeper Recordings

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi everyone,

As a new member here, I’d like to introduce you to my label, Soundkeeper Recordings.

Several years ago, I hit a burn out point with so many record industry folks evaluating mastering work using loudness meters instead of loudspeakers. So I stopped promoting my mastering services to the big labels and stepped back to re-evaluate just why I was doing what I was doing.
After spending some time writing computer software, I realized that rather than enter projects at the mastering stage, I wanted to take them all the way, starting from the microphones. I’d come to realize that 90-95% of a recording’s ultimate sonic quality has already been determined by the time the signals are leaving the microphones.

So, I decided to start a label, which I named Soundkeeper Recordings, the soundkeeper being charged with the caretaking of the sound. I wanted recordings that sound like attending the performance rather than like studio creations. (I think both approaches are valid and each yields results the other cannot. My interest, however, is in capturing what occurs in a real performance.)
Everything is recorded in spaces suitable to whatever the music is: auditoriums, churches, etc., rather than the artificial confines of a studio. I use a matched pair of microphones, separated by a baffle of my own design (outlined in my article “Recording in Stereo”.

The audio is captured at 24/192 (except for our first release where the gear I used only went up to 24/96). Output from the microphones is fed, via a pair of balanced Nordost Valkyrja cables, to a Metric Halo ULN-8, which serves as mic preamps and A-D converters. (Incidentally, the ULN-8’s preamps are the cleanest in my experience and its conversion, at 24/192, represents the very first time in my experience that I cannot distinguish the recording from the direct mic feed. This is something I’ve never experienced before, with any recorder, analog or digital, regardless of price or format.)

AC at recording sessions is first fed to a power conditioner. Both the ULN-8 and the Mac laptop that will store the audio are “afloat” using vibration isolation devices of my own design.

All recordings are complete performances. The “mix” is accomplished *before* I press the red “Record” button, by moving instruments and players physically on the stage, instead of by moving faders on a console. Dynamics of the performance are kept fully intact – no loudness wars here! There is no console, no mix, no overdubs, no processing. We call it “recording without a net”.

Mastering is done at my own studio (BDA) with dedicated, filtered and conditioned AC lines. All the gear (including the speakers and subs) is supported on vibration isolation devices of my own design and the electronics sit on my own design, Enjoyyourshelf racks, which feature independent vibration isolation for each shelf (I call them the world's first piece of furniture with a fully independent suspension!) The room is fully treated acoustically, for quelling of resonant modes, absorption of early reflections and diffuion of late reflections. Monitoring is via Magnepan 3.7s, augmented by stereo subs from 30 Hz down. All cabling is by Nordost.

Ever since the first CD I mastered, in early 1893, I’ve said CDs from different replication facilities all sound different from each other and that *none* sounds indistinguishable from the master used to create it. Having worked with dozens of plants all over the world, I selected the one that does the best work in my experience, to produce Soundkeeper CDs.

But I wanted the CD to be the start of what Soundkeeper offers, not the end. So we also offer 6 custom burned formats:

CD-R at $20 (for those using a transport or player, I find the CD-R gets more of the CD master than even the best pressings I've been able to get - which are the best in my experience; for those who will extract audio from the disc to be used with a music server, such as a computer, there will be no difference in sonics – the differences appear, subtle though they may be, only when the disc is used in a player or transport).

DVD-R at $30 (24/96 in standard DVD-V, video, format, so no special player is needed; there is no video content other than rudimentary menus but the DVD video standard allowed for 24/96 PCM from the start, so we use it).

24/96 files-on-disc DVD-R at $35 (in either .aif or .wav format, customer's choice at order time; we don't do FLAC because I don't find it sonically equal).

24/192 files-on-disc DVD-R at $45 (in either .aif or .wav format, customer's choice at order time).

All the burned formats include the same printed booklet and traycard as the pressed CD. In addition, the first 25 copies of each of the burned formats are autographed by the artist. The files-on-disc versions also include a pdf of the booklet and a high res .jpg of the album cover.

We do *not* offer downloads, for several reasons. Among these, our artists conceive of their work as whole albums and I don’t want to break these into “singles”. Further, a download of a whole album (4 gig or larger 24/192) takes a long, long time, even on the fastest systems. Where others reduce file size of their “singles” by using the so-called “lossless” formats like Flac, to my ears, when these are decoded while being listened to, there is a sonic price to pay. As such, our files-on-disc offerings are in raw PCM formats only (.aif or .wav).

Soundkeeper Recordings are available only direct from Soundkeeper. Rather than give a "cut" to a third party, I want to maximize what the artist gets from each sale (which, incidentally, is much larger than what even the biggest acts get from the major labels -- I really want to support our artists). From the start, I wanted to approach the business end as differently as we approach the audio end.

There are samples from everything and photos from the recording sessions on the Soundkeeper Web site. In addition, we have a "Format Comparison" page where folks can download longer .wav samples of one song from each album, at each of the resolutions we offer.

Our releases so far:

SR001 “Lift” by Work of Art

Recorded in a church deep in the woods of upstate NY, “Lift” is a mostly acoustic set, though Art does “plug in” for a few tracks. This was recorded at 24/96. All of our subsequent releases were recorded at 24/192.

SR002 “Equinox” by Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn

Recorded in a beautiful auditorium built in 1908, “Equinox” features Haitian melodies played with a jazz sensibility. Instrumentation is Markus on assorted percussion (including a JamMan, used live to build loops, making Markus sound like several percussionists at once), acoustic bass – unamplified, electric guitar, trumpet and some vocals. “Equinox” was chosen by Stereophile as its Recording of the Month in February 2011.

SR003 “Confluence” by Jason Vitelli

Recorded in the same room as “Equinox”, “Confluence” features tracks that might be the world’s first “purist” recordings of a full electric rock band. The albums 17 tracks range from Jason solo at the piano, to a piano-voice/cello duet, a piano-voice/cello/French horn trio, guitar-voice/piano duet to full electric rock band including a few tracks with cello, French horn and celeste (a real one, not a “keyboard”). Jason writes original, literate. moody songs and I’m still surprised he hasn’t been swept up by a larger label – lucky me!

SR004 “Americas” by Paul Beaudry & Pathways

This is our latest release, coming out next week, May 1. It features Paul Beaudry (who played bass on “Equinox”) and his band Pathways (piano, saxophone, drums), also recorded in the same auditorium in which “Equinox” and “Confluence” were done. As with “Confluence”, the piano is the room’s immaculately maintained 1908 Steinway grand.
Paul & Pathways had recently returned from a Rhythm Road tour of Central and South America and the Caribbean. On the tour, sponsored by Jazz at Lincoln Center and the U.S. State Department, the band gave seminars, jazz classes and performed concerts, learning local music all along the way. “Americas” is a collection of the music from those far off lands, played with the band’s jazz sensibilities. It also includes an original by the group’s pianist, Bennett Paster.

Outside of Soundkeeper, I still do independent mastering also but nowadays, I respond to all inquiries by first asking how important level is. I take on the job only if the client understands the best way to achieve loudness is with the playback volume control. On those mastering projects I would consider, I started asking for something to listen to first and only accepted those I felt some musical attraction to.

But Soundkeeper Recordings is the fulfillment of a long held dream of mine – to make recordings that bring the listener to the performance.

A long introduction, to be sure. I hope it is of interest. Please visit the Web sites in my signature for more information.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Barry

That is the second time I have heard this album mentioned and it is Haitian Folkore Music.. I am from Haiti!! Heard the sample and will acquire the album .. THanks .. Great music .. Will they record another album?
Keep the good work

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Frantz,

Barry

That is the second time I have heard this album mentioned and it is Haitian Folkore Music.. I am from Haiti!! Heard the sample and will acquire the album .. THanks .. Great music .. Will they record another album?
Keep the good work

Thank you. I am hoping to do another album with Markus Schwartz & Lakou Brooklyn. I love working with them and Markus has turned me on to the wonder and beauty of Haitian music.

I just completed mastering of a new album by Markus and the guitarist from Lakou Brooklyn, Monvelyno Alexis. They perform together as Vo-Duo and the new album "Nou La" should be out in another month or so. I'll provide a link on the BDA Web site as soon as it is out.

Best regards,
Barry

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Just ordered this...

:)

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Tom,

I'm very proud of this new release - real, acoustic jazz, recorded in real stereo, with no messing around.
The players are wonderful; they nailed every take and we did the whole album in two four-hour sessions - including setup, getting the balance, doing the session and breakdown. The music makes me feel like dancing.

And the cover makes me feel good too. I worked with a good friend who is, as you can see, an amazing watercolorist. I wanted a fantasy landscape with a lot of primary colors - and somewhere, to incorporate the band's labyrinth logo. She came up with this jungle at the water's edge scene, with the old ruin having the logo carved on it. She also added the pink dolphin on the back; I didn't know there were such things but apparently they can be found in some South American waterways.

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing of your experiences with it.

Best regards,
Barry

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Barry how did you capture the vocals of a full electric rock band with a simple pair of mics?

Tim

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Tim,

Barry how did you capture the vocals of a full electric rock band with a simple pair of mics?

Tim

Is there an icon for a big grin? ;-}

There are background vocals too!
I captured the vocals with the same pair, arranged in a stereo array. Balance was achieved by moving people (and instruments) instead of moving faders.

Technically speaking, I took advantage of the inverse square law: sounds closer to the mics will be louder than sounds more distant.
And no compression on the vocals (or anything else) either.

There may be a few rough spots but I prefer them because they are real - and they sound like what I heard from the position of the mic array during the recording sessions. As with everything else, I find the 192k version captures the most information. (Not talking supersonics here, just what is plainly audible, particularly and interestingly, on the bottom end.)

Best regards,
Barry

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Nowadays, a 4 GB download takes less than an hour on most systems.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
:D
Hi Tim,

Is there an icon for a big grin? ;-}

There are background vocals too!
I captured the vocals with the same pair, arranged in a stereo array. Balance was achieved by moving people (and instruments) instead of moving faders.

Technically speaking, I took advantage of the inverse square law: sounds closer to the mics will be louder than sounds more distant.
And no compression on the vocals (or anything else) either.

There may be a few rough spots but I prefer them because they are real - and they sound like what I heard from the position of the mic array during the recording sessions. As with everything else, I find the 192k version captures the most information. (Not talking supersonics here, just what is plainly audible, particularly and interestingly, on the bottom end.)

Best regards,
Barry

OK...let me get specific. Let's say the guy playing electric guitar is also singing. Long chord, guitar amp at a distance, guy standing very close to the mics?

Must be a full electric rock band with very good volume control. Or a very long guitar cord. I love the concept, I just never imagined it working with an electric band. Looking for artists? :D (when you're composing your post, click on "Go Advanced" and you'll see the big grin icon.

Tim

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Tim,

:D

OK...let me get specific. Let's say the guy playing electric guitar is also singing. Long chord, guitar amp at a distance, guy standing very close to the mics?

Must be a full electric rock band with very good volume control. Or a very long guitar cord. I love the concept, I just never imagined it working with an electric band. Looking for artists? :D (when you're composing your post, click on "Go Advanced" and you'll see the big grin icon.

Tim

The guy who was singing on the electric rock songs *was* playing electric guitar. I didn't want him *too* close to the mics because that would alter the overall sound of his voice. Yet, at the same time, his amp was not that far from him; I'd say only about 3 or 4 feet behind him. (You can see pictures from the recording sessions here. Look at the picture from "Working". That's Jason's amp - a very nice Twin Reverb - angled upwards, a few feet behind him, slightly to his left. In fact, the pictures really show it all.)

I'm always looking for artists but I'm particular. Mostly, the music has to move me. From there, they have to be original and they have to be able to play a three minute song in three minutes (don't laugh - I've been on sessions where a week was spent just on the vocal part). And they have to be able to balance against each other without a PA and without headphones or gobos. In other words, they have to be able to make music in real time. If you know anyone, I'm always open for listening to demos. No promises but if the music moves me, I'll propose a Soundkeeper project.

Thanks for the tip on "Go Advanced" for the grin icon.

Best regards,
Barry

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Christian,

Welcome Barry. I have read many of your posts at SH Forums with great interest.

Lots of great folks over at SH. Some others too, unfortunately. I decided to leave because there were too many who approached it as a battleground instead of as a playground. I'm hoping WBF is the latter.

Best regards,
Barry

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Christian,

Lots of great folks over at SH. Some others too, unfortunately. I decided to leave because there were too many who approached it as a battleground instead of as a playground. I'm hoping WBF is the latter.

Best regards,
Barry

We are Barry

Good to have you here

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
have to be able to play a three minute song in three minutes (don't laugh - I've been on sessions where a week was spent just on the vocal part). And they have to be able to balance against each other without a PA and without headphones or gobos.

The first half of that is any good club band. You don't get to the point where you lose track of natural balance until you start micing everything, including drums and guitar amps. No PA, no headphones, that's a tough one. I've played with a couple of drummers with excellent dynamics/volume control, but not enough to get the drive they need and not render unamplified vocals a moot point. While I understand the challenges, I think the whole concept might work better with amplified vocals, which is, of course, the natural environment for that kind of music.

Tim

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
Hi Tim,

...You don't get to the point where you lose track of natural balance until you start micing everything, including drums and guitar amps. No PA, no headphones, that's a tough one. I've played with a couple of drummers with excellent dynamics/volume control, but not enough to get the drive they need and not render unamplified vocals a moot point. While I understand the challenges, I think the whole concept might work better with amplified vocals, which is, of course, the natural environment for that kind of music.

Tim

Actually, even if you don't mic everything, balance doesn't happen by itself. The players are part of the key - they must be able to balance against each other. Musicians used to do this all the time, until they got used to having a "soundman" do this for them.

Getting rid of the PA and the headphones is not a problem for musicians that are used to playing for real - as opposed to playing through a system where someone other than the musicians is in control of their sound.

I can say from experience that the drummer can be powerful and dynamic and the vocalist completely unamplified and a balance still properly achieved, thanks to the inverse square law. If the performance space has good acoustics (which I've never heard in any studio, large, small or otherwise), things are easier.

Amplified vocals do not sound like human beings to me, so for my purposes, they are out. (It is "the natural environment for that kind of music" only insomuch as that is how that music is commonly presented. On second thought, in my view, there is nothing "natural" about it. That is why I've taken a different path. Vocals and background vocals, when they come directly from humans to the microphones are *very* different from when they are passed through amplification and loudspeakers first.)

The whole approach does take some getting used to by players who are used to studios, headphones, gobos, soundmen and having mics placed too close. But I can also say from experience that good players get used to it pretty quickly; many times, I've watched them set up with questions on their faces and *very* quickly get into a "flow" that they will agree does *not* happen in the other situation. The only other place they've experienced it is when they're rehearsing or playing for themselves, with nothing but humans and instruments, like it used to be before studio technology ascended.

Granted, there *are* requirements:
The players do have to be able to play that three minute song *well* in three minutes. I'm sure some club bands can do this but in my experience (and opinion), most of the time, it is not a performance worthy of being preserved and heard over and over again.
Vocalists, in particular, must be able to "send their voice" across a room. This will rule out those who need to "swallow" a microphone in order for their utterances to be heard.
As mentioned above, the players need to be able to balance themselves to a degree - by *listening* to each other, the way the finest players always have.
Everyone must UNlearn what they have "learned" from any prior experience recording, especially in typical studios.

Like anything else, there is a give and a take. Something like "Sgt. Peppers" could not be done this way (though there *are* ways to incorporate the technique and still allow for overdubs, special effects, etc. - I've done this but not for Soundkeeper). On the other hand, the "electricity" between the players that occurs when there is no chance to "punch in" or "fix it in the mix" is unique and quite real -- it results in something that can't be achieved any other way.

In any event, this is an avenue of recording I've always wanted to explore and Soundkeeper is my vehicle for doing this. So far, I've been very fortunate to find players (and vocalists) whose music moves me and who have been bold enough to "stand naked" before the Soundkeeper mics. I am forever grateful to all of them for the experience and I'm proud of what we've achieved so far. I want to apply this to other types of music as well.

Best regards,
Barry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing