Why 24/192 is a bad idea?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Monty. Appreciate you responding with your perspective.

Whenever I get mail from a reader that indictates he was confused by what I wrote, I try to improve the wording; the point is education after all. There's been no substantive change to the article since I first put it up, and I've updated the revision so that people know the article changed. I don't think anything about that is particularly untoward.
Well, the reaction from the community is to the original version. Certainly mine was. The fact that the current version is so much longer shows that perhaps the original wasn't so well thought out. I pointed out specifics for example in the AVS thread where you talked about listening tests of ultrasonics showing harm yet no reference was provided as to where that listening test came from. Here is what you said: "The effect is very slight, but listening tests have confirmed that both effects can be audible." If I said your audio codec was confirmed to perform worse than another yet provided no specifics, you would be up in arms. There were other issues with that graph which I have documented in the AVS thread.

Um.... I don't think we've actually met...? You were effectively my counterpart/rival in the Windows Media group 'back in the day' and we exchanged a few testy emails.
It was not a few emails. It was a discussion on a forum. I remember it well because your forum software displayed my public email address in posts which led me to getting a ton of spam. When I reached out to you to remove that, you hesitated that it was against your policy to do that but eventually made the change.

Ogg Vorbis development began in October 1998. It saw first alpha in 2000, and I think I first sent you email in 2001. So... 11ish years.
Yes, you are right 11. Either way, the point is made that you are a champion of a technology, as I was I will add, that it's time has come and gone in the eyes of audiophiles. We now have plenty of storage and bandwidth so trying to get things down to 64 kbps and have them still sound good, is no longer in our vocabulary. We anticipated some of this in that era, developing WMA Lossess.

It was. Spanked WMA pretty hard in independent tests if I recall.
Well, you recall part of the story. I told the other part ;) :) with apples vs oranges encoding defaults. You are right that this bit of marketing in how you created the encoding mode was clever and led to much more success for your codec than it deserved. We were constrained by the fact that devices played our format (as with MP3) which could not handle VBR encoding peaks so we had to leave the default what it was. You were PC only so didn't care.

It was only a big bullet point feature, advertised as part of what made it superior, featured prominently in every interview I gave about it, the documentation, the manpage, and the runtime help.
It was not so prominent when people compared a CBR encoding mode of one codec comparing it to your VBR mode. That is why I came to argue with you about it. If you were so clear with your community and they knew the answer, we would have had nothing to discuss. Regardless, as I said above, we have moved on. What matters here is what I said: that beside being technical, you are also good at technical marketing of what you produce. That is a good skill to have. I think I have been known to be that way :). People just need to know that as they read your work such as this article that you are not an objective bystander/researcher writing such papers.

Even though someone like Bob Stuart has its own biases, you can see that for him to write an article that says highest sampling rate/bit depth is not necessary goes against obvious bias. Had he sang the praises of high-res audio and referenced audio tests without a bit of documentation on where to go to read about them, his paper would have been dismissed as biased too. Fortunately it was not and published and presented at AES conference.

Yes, it worked properly without tinkering. So rare, it's unfair.
Other encoders worked just as perfectly without tinkering. The difference was that the other codecs followed the stated goals of the user: if he wanted 128kbps encoding, that is what he was getting. They also had a simple option to mimic your encoding mode but they didn't make that the default because as I explained, it would break device playback. And streaming use.

Xiph.Org doesn't have any forums, we use mailing lists and IRC. I don't see any such complaints in my archives of either. But I'm probably just forgetting, got a URL... ?
You confuse me for someone who cares about this history more than I do :). Mailing lists are forums. I don't recall how you had structured the discussion so perhaps it was that. It certainly was a public discussion and not in email. Either way, I stand by the information as foundation of where I come from as I look at you as the author of this article and potential bias on your part combined with lack of field experience with the topic being discussed.

Oh, really? Now I really want to see a reference.
The source of that was your then idea that if you developed something from scratch, and gave it away, that companies should adopt and ship it without worry. I tried to explain that patents can read on such technologies and in that case, you would owe royalties and be subjected to lawsuits. I am curious if you realize that now.

My audience was the semi-technical from unrelated fields. Busting out the 6.182 course notes wasn't going to convince anyone. Bob is in my 'further reading' section.
Not in the original version of the article. Problem with your oversimplification is just that: oversimplification. Bob takes a much more rigorous approach. He defines what the threshold of hearing is relative to distortion and then works from there to show what sampling we need to have to assure that. For audiophiles, that is the target, not what is good enough.

It's still mine. Do you have any specific complaints about the article to offer, Amir, or just the ad hominem?
I provided plenty in the AVS thread. Indeed, I stated that what you wrote directionaly agrees with Bob's work. It is just that if someone wants to read about it, they should go to an authoritative source. Here is what my first post was on the topic there:

"The goals for setting a standard here shouldn't be what is adequate but what has some safety margin as to give us high confidence of inaudibility. In that regard, we need to also allow for less than optimal implementations. To that end, Bob Stuart has published a much more authoritative version of this report at AES. Here is an online copy: http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_paper/Coding2.PDF. These are his recommendations:

"This article has reviewed the issues surrounding the transmission of high-resolution digital audio. It is
suggested that a channel that attains audible transparency will be equivalent to a PCM channel that
uses:
· 58kHz sampling rate, and
· 14-bit representation with appropriate noise shaping, or
· 20-bit representation in a flat noise floor, i.e. a ‘rectangular’ channel"

So as we see, the CD standard somewhat misses the mark on sampling rate. And depending on whether you trust the guy reducing the sample depth from 24-bit to 16 bits, we may be missing the right spec there too.

Ultimately, I think to the extent bandwidth and storage have become immaterial for music, it is best to get access to the same bits the talent approved when the content was produced. For a high-end enthusiast, there is no need for them to shrink down what they recorded before delivery. Let the customer have the same bits and then there is no argument one way or the other ."

And this follow up:

"Again, let me repeat that Bob's paper is much in support of this article in grand scheme of things rather than the other way around. It is just that if you are going to read something like this, read Bob’s paper which is from someone who has designed such equipment and has far more credentials in this field than Monty. For a web article, Monty's article is very good but let's not be so biased as to put his effort forward as A+, and people whose shoulders he is standing on, much lower, just because they dare setting a more solid standard for audio."

If you read that thread, you see that it is hardly focused on you but the topic at hand. We talked about you because your credentials were put on the pedestal so the conversation turned that way more than I intended or ever aim for. For me it was a simple situation of a having the proper research paper that is already public as compared to a web article with sensational claims (that somehow higher resolution is harmful).

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
There is nothing in what you quoted that is not correct Ethan. You have your perspectives, with which I'm familiar - and I have mine, based on my experiences.

What's incorrect is the notion that the bit depth affects more than just the noise floor. I see this often in web forums, where people who don't understand the principles wrongly believe that digital audio contains "steps" that limit the resolution and add distortion. This is not a matter of perspective, but rather of fact. Yes, there are "steps" in the audio at the output of the D/A bit-summing section (resistor ladder), but they are removed by the reconstruction filter.

--Ethan

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A converter that functions as intended, which is pretty much all modern models.

--Ethan
??? That's like me asking what makes a sports car and you saying that it has wheels, transmission and an engine :). There are devices that do 14 bits instead of 24 bits that they advertise. Is that functioning as intended?

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
??? That's like me asking what makes a sports car and you saying that it has wheels, transmission and an engine :). There are devices that do 14 bits instead of 24 bits that they advertise. Is that functioning as intended?

Amir, it's the old "competently designed" get-out clause!
When users of this phrase are asked to point to an example, they deflect.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A converter that functions as intended, which is pretty much all modern models.

--Ethan

So they're all the same and there is no difference .. We have reached perfection? Come on Man!!!

bdiament

Apr 26, 2012
New York area
What's incorrect is the notion that the bit depth affects more than just the noise floor...

Actually, what is incorrect is the notion that the affects of word length can be reduced to something singular such as the noise floor.
I understand we have different approaches and different takes... *very* different. Sorry Ethan, I'm going to go with what my ears tell me and what discussions with converter designers, for whose work and knowledge I have great respect, only reinforce.

I suggest anyone that wants to check this out for themselves simply make recordings at different word lengths and compare them for themselves, listening in particular for low level information such as instrumental harmonics and spatial cues. They can even take it further and *inject* some noise into the longer word length recording to see if it will then lose all those harmonics and spatial cues.

My best suggestion to interested listeners is, as always, to *not* simply take my word (or anyone else's) on the subject but to listen for oneself and draw one's own conclusions.

Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT

All I did was correct Barry's incorrect belief that bit depth affects more than the noise floor. I should have left out the part about most converters functioning properly (though they do), because that's beside the point. I'll make an FFT that proves the point and post it here shortly. This is one of those myths that is easily debunked.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Here are two FFT graphs showing 200 Hz and 500 Hz mixed at equal levels, with the sum just below clipping. I created this in Sound Forge at 16 bits, then reduced the data to 8 bits. As you can see, the only thing that happens is the noise floor was raised. There are no spikes at either the 200 or 500 Hz harmonics, nor are there IMD sum and difference frequencies.

--Ethan

Attachments

• 200+500 Hz 16 bits.jpg
    200+500 Hz 16 bits.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 200+500 Hz 8 bits.jpg
    200+500 Hz 8 bits.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 159

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
The International Association of Sound and Audio Archivists weighs in as follows:

• Sampling Rate: When producing digital copies of analogue material IASA recommends a minimum sampling rate of 48 kHz for any material. However, higher sampling rates are readily available and may be advantageous for many content types. Although the higher sampling rates encode audio outside of the human hearing range, the net effect of higher sampling rate and conversion technology improves the audio quality within the ideal range of human hearing.
  • Bit Depth: IASA recommends an encoding rate of at least 24 bit to capture all analogue materials. For audio digital-original items, the bit depth of the storage technology should at least equal that of the original item. It is important that care is taken in recording to ensure that the transfer process takes advantage of the full dynamic range.

I can see the "improves audio quality ..." opinion generating some heat.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
^^^ All of that is fine, though you're right that "improves quality" is too vague to be useful. Modern oversampling avoids the ringing and ripple etc of steep filters used years ago. I can think of at least one situation where sample rates higher than we can hear are useful: when recording vinyl records that will later be run through click and pop removal software. Capturing those ultrasonic frequencies can help the software better distinguish the clicks from the music. But I see no advantage to recording cassettes or vinyl or even open reel tapes with more than 16 bits. The original noise is so much louder than the -96 dB noise floor of 16 bits that this just wastes storage space and bandwidth.

--Ethan

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
From your own arguments, truncation (quantization) distortion will be less with a 24 bit ADC than a 16 or 14 bit ADC. And it's really hard to see how (aliasing and) anti-aliasing filters wouldn't work better with a sampling rate of 192 kHz compared to 44.1 kHz, again in the ADC.

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
^^^ All of that is fine, though you're right that "improves quality" is too vague to be useful. Modern oversampling avoids the ringing and ripple etc of steep filters used years ago. I can think of at least one situation where sample rates higher than we can hear are useful: when recording vinyl records that will later be run through click and pop removal software. Capturing those ultrasonic frequencies can help the software better distinguish the clicks from the music. But I see no advantage to recording cassettes or vinyl or even open reel tapes with more than 16 bits. The original noise is so much louder than the -96 dB noise floor of 16 bits that this just wastes storage space and bandwidth.

--Ethan

The IASA is devoted to archiving sound as is. They would not approve of removing clicks and pops from vinyl. I keep two projects for any LP or cassette I add to my digital library -- as recorded, and as processed.

xiphmont

May 2, 2012
Somerville, MA
www.xiph.org
The fact that the current version is so much longer shows that perhaps the original wasn't so well thought out.

The current version is slightly shorter, not longer.

I believe in a collaborative effort, and the community suggested improvements which I adopted. Collaboration requires publication. No facts or assertions have changed.

The primary thing that did get added was the ultrasonic IMD test samples so that people could directly test/listen to the linearity of their own systems. You don't have to take my word for it (do go try them!)

It was not a few emails. It was a discussion on a forum. I remember it well because your forum software displayed my public email address in posts which led me to getting a ton of spam.

Oh right, this. It was a discussion on two mailing lists (advanced@streamingmedia.com and vorbis@xiph.org). You realized later that the conversation was continuing on a public list, and politely requested I expunge your email address, which I did.

This isn't much of a basis for stating you know me 'extremely well'.

When I reached out to you to remove that, you hesitated that it was against your policy to do that but eventually made the change.

My verbatim [and only] reply from Fri, 14 Feb 2003:

"I will happily do this as a personal request. I'll note that I'm
violating an explicit company policy to do so, but I can't see any
reason not to make an exception this time around.

For now, I will blank the address. I would prefer the address is
present but well-munged; let me know one way or the other eventually."

I blanked your email immediately after sending that reply.

Either way, the point is made that you are a champion of a technology, as I was I will add, that it's time has come and gone in the eyes of audiophiles.

Does that mean science can ask for all the technology back?

We now have plenty of storage and bandwidth so trying to get things down to 64 kbps and have them still sound good, is no longer in our vocabulary.

This is a straw man; no one ever suggested it.

Well, you recall part of the story. I told the other part ;) :) with apples vs oranges encoding defaults. You are right that this bit of marketing in how you created the encoding mode was clever and led to much more success for your codec than it deserved.

No, we [and others] compared like modes whenever possible; WMA didn't have VBR at all at that time, and that was a serious problem for WMA in the marketplace. It was more than fair to call that shortcoming out.

The point of VBR being default in our tools was to avoid having users only familiar with mp3 and CBR inadvertantly 'doing it the way they'd always done it' and generating inferior files out of ignormance. We made it necessary to read the instructions to turn on CBR, which simultaneously described why CBR was a bad idea.

You confuse me for someone who cares about this history more than I do :). Mailing lists are forums.

Mailing lists aren't forums. There are practical, connotative, and cultural differences.

The source of that was your then idea that if you developed something from scratch, and gave it away, that companies should adopt and ship it without worry. I tried to explain that patents can read on such technologies and in that case, you would owe royalties and be subjected to lawsuits. I am curious if you realize that now.

You're completely incorrect. Xiph.Org was founded in 2001 partly to fight against the exact patent fallacy that you've just accused me of advocating.

Problem with your oversimplification is just that: oversimplification. Bob takes a much more rigorous approach.

No, he doesn't. Bob's paper is longer than mine, covers an overlapping but partly different subject matter, and he's much a better writer. His bibliography isn't any thicker (most of it references other papers he wrote himself), and he does not discuss or cite any justification for several givens, such as his assertion that reproduction to 26kHz is required for transparency.

It is, however, a different approach to the subject and worth reading and debating.

If you read that thread, you see that it is hardly focused on you but the topic at hand.

I'm not commenting in that thread, I'm commenting in this one. Why the ad-hominems here?

We talked about you because your credentials were put on the pedestal so the conversation turned that way more than I intended or ever aim for.

...and so your solution was to assert I had no credentials. In each post you've claimed unearned familiarity, and put words into my mouth that I never said nor thought.

Monty
Xiph.Org

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No, he doesn't. Bob's paper is longer than mine, covers an overlapping but partly different subject matter, and he's much a better writer. His bibliography isn't any thicker (most of it references other papers he wrote himself), and he does not discuss or cite any justification for several givens, such as his assertion that reproduction to 26kHz is required for transparency.
His bibliography isn't any thicker? And most of the references his? Here it is:

REFERENCES
1 Acoustic Renaissance for Audio, ‘A Proposal for High-Quality Application of High-Density CD
Carriers’, private publication available for download at http://www.meridian-audio.com/ara (April
1995). Reprinted in Stereophile (August 1995) and in Japanese in J. Japan Audio Soc., 35
(October 1995)
2 Acoustic Renaissance for Audio, ‘DVD: Pre-emphasis for use at 96kHz or 88.2kHz’, private
publication available for download at http://www.meridian-audio.com/ara (November 1996)
3 Akune, M., Heddle, R.M., and Akagiri, K., ‘Super Bit Mapping: Psychoacoustically Optimized
Digital Recording’, AES 93rd Convention, San Francisco, preprint 3371 (1992)
4 Craven, P.G., and Gerzon, M.A., ‘Compatible Improvement of 16-Bit Systems Using Subtractive
Dither’, AES 93rd Convention, San Francisco, preprint 3356 (1992)
5 Craven, P.G., and Gerzon, M.A., ‘Lossless Coding for Audio Discs’, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 44, 706–
720 (September 1996)
6 Craven, P.G., Law, M.J., and Stuart, J.R., ‘Lossless Compression using IIR prediction filters’, J.
Audio Eng. Soc. (Abstracts), 44, p. 404 and preprint 4415 (March 1996)
7 Craven, P.G., and Gerzon, M.A., ‘Lossless Coding Method for Waveform Data’, International
Patent Application no. PCT/GB96/01164 (May 1996)
8 Dadson, R.S., and King, J.H., ‘A determination of the normal threshold of hearing and its relation
to the standardisation of audiometers’, J. Laryngol. Otol., 66, 366–378 (1952)
9 Hawksford, M.O.J., and Dunn, C., ‘Is the AES/EBU/SPDIF Digital Audio Interface Flawed?’,
AES 93rd Convention, San Francisco, preprint 3360 (October 1992)
10 Hawksford, M.O.J., ‘Bitstream versus PCM debate for high-density compact disc’, private
publication available for download at http://www.meridian-audio.com/ara (April 1995)
11 Gerzon, M.A., and Craven, P.G., ‘Optimal Noise Shaping and Dither of Digital Signals’, 87th
AES Convention, New York, preprint 2822 (1989)
12 Gerzon, M.A., Craven, P.G., Stuart, J.R., and Wilson, R.J., ‘Psychoacoustic Noise Shaped
Improvements in CD and Other Linear Digital Media’, AES 94th Convention, Berlin, preprint
3501 (March 1993)
13 Katz, B., ‘96kHz Listening Test’, thread on Internet newsgroup rec.audio.pro (July 1997)
14 Komamura, M., ‘Wideband and wide dynamic-range recording and reproduction of digital audio’,
AES 96th Convention, Amsterdam, preprint 3844 (1994)
15 Meridian Audio Ltd, ‘Lossless Compression for DVD: Summary of features’, private publication
available for download at http://www.meridian-audio.com/dvd (July 1997)21
16 Meridian Audio Ltd, ‘Lossless Compression for DVD: Technical proposal’, private publication
available for download at http://www.meridian-audio.com/dvd (July 1997)
17 Ohashi, T., Nishina, E., Kawai, N., Fuwamoto, Y., and Imai, H., ‘High Frequency Sound Above
the Audible Range Affects Brain Electrical Activity and Sound Perception’, AES 91st Convention,
New York, preprint 3207 (October 1991)
18 Ohashi, T., Nishina, E., Fuwamoto, Y., and Kawai, N., ‘On the Mechanism of Hypersonic Effect’,
Proceedings Int'l Computer Music Conference, Tokyo, 432–434 (1993)
19 Oomen, A.W.J., Groenwegen, R.G., van der Waal, R.G., and Veldhuis, R.N.J. ‘A Variable-BitRate Buried-Data Channel for Compact Disc’, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 43, 23–28 (January/February
1995)
20 Robinson, D.W., and Dadson, R.S., in ISO131-1959
21 Robinson, D.W., and Dadson, R.S., ‘A redetermination of the equal-loudness relations for pure
tones’, Brit. J. Appl. Physics, vol. 7, pp. 166–181 (May 1956)
22 Stuart, J.R., and Wilson, R.J., ‘A search for efficient dither for DSP applications’, AES 92nd
Convention, Vienna, preprint 3334 (1992)
23 Stuart, J.R., ‘Noise: Methods for Estimating Detectability and Threshold’, J. Audio Eng. Soc., 42,
124–140 (March 1994)
24 Stuart, J.R., and Wilson, R.J., ‘Dynamic Range Enhancement Using Noise-shaped Dither Applied
to Signals with and without Pre-emphasis’, AES 96th Convention, Amsterdam, preprint 3871
(1994)
25 Stuart, J.R., and Wilson, R.J., ‘Dynamic Range Enhancement using Noise-Shaped Dither at 44.1,
48 and 96 kHz’, AES 100th Convention, Copenhagen (1996)
26 Stuart, J.R., ‘Auditory modelling related to the bit budget’, Proceedings of AES UK Conference
‘Managing the Bit Budget’, 167–178 (1994)
27 Vanderkooy, J., and Lipshitz, S.P., ‘Digital Dither: Signal Processing with Resolution Far Below
the Least Significant Bit’, AES 7th International Conference – Audio in Digital Times, Toronto,

I say that is one heck of a lot more authoritative than your footnotes. As to it being "longer than mine, covers an overlapping but partly different subject matter," this is what you say in your own article when you refer to it:

"by Bob Stuart of Meridian Audio is beautifully concise despite its greater length. Our conclusions differ somewhat (he takes as given the need for a slightly wider frequency range and bit depth without much justification), but in many ways it's the article I aimed to write myself."

So in one breath it is covering a different subject matter and in the other, it is what you meant to write? It is long here, but concise there? It has been 11 years but you argue just like when you did then :).

Fortunately, what you write in the article is precisely what I wanted people to know. That there is better work and much more authoritative. Since you agree, not sure what the continued protest is all about.

I'm not commenting in that thread, I'm commenting in this one. Why the ad-hominems here?
I explained in my last post. You were put on a pedestal as some kind of authority on the topic. So I responded that I knew you and that you were not an authority in *this* area. And that your style of arguing leaves something to be desired at times. In the other thread this did not happen so we stayed focused on the topic.

...and so your solution was to assert I had no credentials. In each post you've claimed unearned familiarity, and put words into my mouth that I never said nor thought.

Monty
Xiph.Org
This is what I said: "Much of the knowledge that is needed to describe this field requires hardware and hands on design with things like DACs. Writing software and compression algorithms gives you little to no expertise for that. Bob on the other hand, does have this expertise and industry credentials to do the topic justice. Hence the reason if you want to see the proper take on this, you want to read his version."

As I explained, you are outside of your core expertise. If a DAC designer wrote an article on audio compression that you found faults with, I am sure you would be much less kind than I am above :). I read your article and having read Bob's, it came out as an inaccurate and much less authoritative version of his with a sensational headline to boot. So I spoke up. I realize that is difficult to take but that is to be expected when you put out an opinion piece like that on the web. Folks comment and not all the comments are going to be to your liking.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You're completely incorrect. Xiph.Org was founded in 2001 partly to fight against the exact patent fallacy that you've just accused me of advocating.
Xiph.Org
Can you clarify what you mean? Do you still believe that if you independently wrote some software, you are immune from patent claims?

xiphmont

May 2, 2012
Somerville, MA
www.xiph.org
His bibliography isn't any thicker? And most of the references his? Here it is:

He is citing himself in 11 of the 27 papers. Several additional papers have nothing to do with his core premeses, or have not been reproduced / validated by independent research (eg, [17]). He also cites discussion threads (eg, [13]).

As to it being "longer than mine, covers an overlapping but partly different subject matter," this is what you say in your own article when you refer to it:

"by Bob Stuart of Meridian Audio is beautifully concise despite its greater length. Our conclusions differ somewhat (he takes as given the need for a slightly wider frequency range and bit depth without much justification), but in many ways it's the article I aimed to write myself."

How does that conflict with what I said? Bob's paper was better
written. His rhetorical techniques are smoother. That has nothing to do
with whether he's right or wrong, it means he presented his ideas
well.

You can continue to be willfully obtuse if you want. It's disingenuous, and the inappropriate smilies don't change that.

And that your style of arguing leaves something to be desired at times.

Goodness. Will the limits of my failure ever be reached?

As I explained, you are outside of your core expertise.

You presume a great deal.

If a DAC designer wrote an article on audio compression that you found faults with, I am sure you would be much less kind than I am above :).

I don't think those smilies mean what you think those smilies mean.

So I spoke up. I realize that is difficult to take but that is to be expected when you put out an opinion piece like that on the web. Folks comment and not all the comments are going to be to your liking.

Ah yes, so I'm also thin skinned. Check. Do continue.

Monty
Xiph.Org

xiphmont

May 2, 2012
Somerville, MA
www.xiph.org
Can you clarify what you mean? Do you still believe that if you independently wrote some software, you are immune from patent claims?

Are you still a compulsive shoplifter, Amir? No? When did you stop?

Disingenuous debate techniques are disingenuous. I never believed that, and you're fully aware of it.

Monty
Xiph.Org

jmvalin

May 3, 2012
Here are two FFT graphs showing 200 Hz and 500 Hz mixed at equal levels, with the sum just below clipping. I created this in Sound Forge at 16 bits, then reduced the data to 8 bits. As you can see, the only thing that happens is the noise floor was raised. There are no spikes at either the 200 or 500 Hz harmonics, nor are there IMD sum and difference frequencies.

--Ethan

I suspect that the myth of quantization creating harmonic and intermodulation distortion is due to the fact that for really low bit depth it actually does. For example, quantizing a sine at one bit per sample (two levels) will actually create a square wave with the associated harmonics. Of course, when using 16 bits, we're *way* passed the point where this is measurable and the argument breaks down. But because IMD arguments are usually based on drawing a sine with about 8 levels (3 bits), the fact that quantization ends up looking like noise is lost.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing