United Home Audio sponsors Opus 3 Master Tape Event

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
United Home Audio will sponsor an Open House Event for the new Opus 3 Master Tape copies on May 5 and May 12, noon till 4pm both days. Stop by any time we'll be playing the tapes all day.

We will have two Master Tapes by Opus 3 Records.
1.) The Opus 3 Sampler Tape (see details below)
2.) Beethoven Symphonies No. 1 & No. 2
Stockholm Sinfonietta
conducted by Okko Kamu

OPUS 3 RECORDINGS FEATURE (from the Opus 3 web site):
The shortest and best possible signal-path, without any conversions.
The current Opus 3 catalogue contains 50 titles which have been strictly analogue recorded and preserved. All tapes are copied 'by hand', track by track, where all Mastering corrections are made with meticulous calibration and control.

Here is what's on the sampler tape:

One” Open Reel Selection of Opus 3 Analogue Recordings

1. Here´s That Rainy Day (Jimmy van Heusen) 4´14

2. Teach Me Tonight (M. Gene de Paul) 3´53

3. Black Beauty (D. Ellington) 4´38
From ”A Selection from Tomas Örnberg´s BLUE FIVE & The Swedish Jazz Kings”, SACD 22101 / CD 8003*

4. Where The Green Grass Grows (Excerpt) (Eric Bibb) 3´54

5. Vaquero (Excerpt) (G. Wennerbrandt – O. Eriksson) 3´53

6. La Maja de Goya (E. Granados)
Stockholm Guitar Quartet, ”A Selection from...., SACD 22062 / CD 7810* 3´20

7. Nun komm der Heiden Heiland... (Excerpt) (J.S. Bach)
The Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble & Mattias Wager: Organ, SACD19516 3´02

8. Scherzo from Symphony No.2 in D Major (L. van Beethoven) 3´36

9. Overture to Carmen (G. Bizet) 2´16

Total playing time: 33´20
1 st 10,5” metal reel
Play back EQ: IEC/CCIR (35uS)
2-track, 38 cm/s
* Catalogue number of the original album.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
May 5th Opus 3 Event

On Saturday May 5th we had over 70 people show up to enjoy the new Opus 3 Master Tapes. Everyone was impressed, not only by the sound quality but by the selection of interesting music on the sampler tape. The tape has it all Jazz, classical, and other interesting music that keeps you... involved, I would say. After listening to it all day I was not burnt out on it at all, I kept hearing new things in the tunes. Some enthusiast listened to the Sampler tape 3 or 4 times and all who attended were very happy with the Opus 3 tapes. The Stockholm Sinfonietta Beethoven was a real crowd pleaser, again the performance and the recording were unanimously a hit. With 50 Master Tapes in their library I think Opus 3 will be a mainstay in the new Master Tape movement.

The Opus 3, Yarlung Records, or International Phonographic Records, model is one that will work for the new "Master Tape Movement". A small record label in the vast sea of record labels has a chance to break out with some sales provided they do things right. If they have good, if not great (yet possibly unknown) performers, recorded with audiophile quality equipment on tape, they are in business. Guys that have tape decks and those on the fence considering buying a deck all want more music. I say this is what music is all about, performers getting a chance, record labels getting sales, exposure and money that's what makes things work.

At all the shows I have been doing across the USA I see the interest in tape is growing show by show. The level of enthusiasm I saw in this event is truly exciting, especially since there were so many guys there that didn't have a tape deck, yet that is.

We'll be doing it all again this Saturday so if you are in the area do stop by!

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Hi Steve,
The tapes are available now, below is the Link to the Opus 3 Master Tape page with descriptions of the music. To order contact Kevin Berg the US distributor at berg_kevin@hotmail.com.

http://www.opus3records.com/am_list.html

The 33 min Sampler tape is $250. Opus currently has 25 albums listed on the web site (so far) they consist typically of two tapes at $450 per album. They are sold individually with no subscription required. At $450 per album that does put them at a premium over the Tape Project tapes at $300 per album with a subscription.

BTW, I am also working with Jonathan Horwich of International Phonographic Records to issue his Jazz library of Master Tapes. Looks like we have worked out the bugs and he is prepared to start production soon. He sent myself and also David Robinson of Positive Feedback Online a sampler tape and... we both like it! More details to follow and probably another recording release party at United Home Audio to come. For those attending T.H.E. Show Newport I will have the Opus 3 tape as well as Jonathan's sampler tape.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Steve,
The tapes are available now, below is the Link to the Opus 3 Master Tape page with descriptions of the music. To order contact Kevin Berg the US distributor at berg_kevin@hotmail.com.

http://www.opus3records.com/am_list.html

The 33 min Sampler tape is $250. Opus currently has 25 albums listed on the web site (so far) they consist typically of two tapes at $450 per album. They are sold individually with no subscription required. At $450 per album that does put them at a premium over the Tape Project tapes at $300 per album with a subscription.

BTW, I am also working with Jonathan Horwich of International Phonographic Records to issue his Jazz library of Master Tapes. Looks like we have worked out the bugs and he is prepared to start production soon. He sent myself and also David Robinson of Positive Feedback Online a sampler tape and... we both like it! More details to follow and probably another recording release party at United Home Audio to come. For those attending T.H.E. Show Newport I will have the Opus 3 tape as well as Jonathan's sampler tape.

Hmmm...wonder what happened to my sampler from Jonathan?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
For those attending T.H.E. Show Newport I will have the Opus 3 tape as well as Jonathan's sampler tape.

Hi Greg,

We'll be attending all three days of THE Show. I'd like to stop by :)
Where's your room(s) and what amplification and loudspeakers are to be used :confused:

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Hi Sam,
Well...There is one thing I can tell you, I will be in room 1023 in the Hilton with Von Schweikert speakers and Jolida amplification. However believe it or not there is still some question about exactly what models of said equipment will be in the room. Yes I know this is the 11th hour and one would think this would have been settled long ago, equipment burned in and all squared away.
However I'm not scared at all, I trust Damon Von S and Jerred Dunkerson VP of Jolida to get things right. I will have plenty of Master Tapes to hear and some interesting surprises, so please do look me up, I'd be glad to meet you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing