A810 take reel motor clicking sound

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
When I rewind the motor makes a regular periodic clicking sound. This is my unit that had a cap blow on the spooling motor control bd. No click during playback as I assume that the take up motor (left side) does not function during playback ? Is the motor toast ?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, rockitman. Have you checked to see that the gear isn't periodically slipping on the armature of the motor? Also, does this sound more like an electronic click or a physical [metal to metal for example] click?

Tom

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hello, rockitman. Have you checked to see that the gear isn't periodically slipping on the armature of the motor? Also, does this sound more like an electronic click or a physical [metal to metal for example] click?

Tom

It's a physical click. Even with the unit off, when I manually spin the reel platter, I hear the click once every revolution. Bearing perhaps ?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hmm, likely culprit. How often does it happen [how often per 3 complete revolutions] and do you feel any physical resistance when the platter is manually moved? I would advise to try this both fast and real slow.

Tom

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
It's a physical click. Even with the unit off, when I manually spin the reel platter, I hear the click once every revolution. Bearing perhaps ?

Hi Chris:

You can remove the reel turntable by removing three Phillips screws. You can look down into the machine for loose piece of brake dampening material or something else touching the brake drum. The brake band actually touches the brake drum with no power on the machine. Try and let us know.

The problem machine is forcing you into be a Studer technician - which is a good thing. :)

Ki

jdza

May 3, 2010
My bet is on one of those ribbon cables physically touching one of the motors. i would open the back and make sure that none of the many ribbon cables were displaced during the cap installation.IIRC there is actually a double wire running from the motor control unit forwards that can come very close to the (spinning) outer casing of the take-up motor.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I tried all suggestions. Nothing hitting/rubbing the motor brake drum when viewed from top, rear and front with covers off. It happens once per motor revolution. I did see writing on the motor: replaced bearing 2008 written in sharpy on the front of the motor. Perhaps a bad bearing again ? Will that motor rebuild place fix it (Althan) ?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, rockitman and please forgive me for not being familiar with your deck. I'm just not familiar with Studers. Would it be possible to easily remove the bearing and check it all by itself or no?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I tried all suggestions. Nothing hitting/rubbing the motor brake drum when viewed from top, rear and front with covers off. It happens once per motor revolution. I did see writing on the motor: replaced bearing 2008 written in sharpy on the front of the motor. Perhaps a bad bearing again ? Will that motor rebuild place fix it (Althan) ?

I highly recommend you send them (all) to Athan.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Problem solved, at least this one. There was something rubbing on the back of the motor drum. To get access to the spooling control bd mounting points when I replaced the caps, I needed to losen the ac input transformer thing attached via screws to the metal wall behind the motor. I must of switched the screws around...one shorter than the other. Backing one out a bit stopped the rub. I figured this out after removing the brake assembly and motor as per studer service manual. When I spun the removed motor, there were no sounds. Phew !

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Gotta love the cheap and quick fixes! Good on ya' for finding it so quickly. ;)

Tom

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
And just as expensive!!

I'll bet, you can't just trade your women in for a higher performance (or younger) model easily... even if you are brave enough to pull it off... that will cost you big. :)

I'll keep my R2Rs even with high maintenance requirements.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'll bet, you can't just trade your women in for a higher performance (or younger) model easily... even if you are brave enough to pull it off... that will cost you big. :)

I'll keep my R2Rs even with high maintenance requirements.

You can always pay to have your woman upgrade her caps...:p

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You can always pay to have your woman upgrade her caps...:p

Somebody told me that those caps cost $7K which makes them very expensive caps.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have a similar issue with my Nagra right now (sorry to jump in on the original thread) - Awaiting service with my technician to see what is happening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing