S.G.Rowan's Helix Rising A Two Channel Quad Amped System

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Legacy Audio- Designed and built in Springfield, IL by Bill Duddleston. These speakers are the top of the line at Legacy even surpassing the celebrated Whisper. I don't know how they would compare to the competition by Wilson and others but I know they are the best I've heard and owned. The speakers are quad amped and in my system are driven by 3,400 watts per channel. Bill Duddleston does the ultimate voicing and setup when the 350 pound monsters are delivered. The speakers are 4 ohms and many of the drivers are designed custom for Legacy. Drivers: 2 Neoquadrapole tweeters, 4 6" midrange drivers, 3 15" mid bass woofers, and 1 15" Rohacell graphite subwoofer in each cabinet.
1 pair Legacy Xtreme HD Subwoofers 1,000 watts per channel 15 inch

Coda Bill Duddleston chose Coda to design and voice his speakers with and i purchased the exact same system that Bill uses at Legacy, so this should be the ultimate setup and so far it is. Built by the Doug Dale and the rest of the guys from Threshold-minus Nelson Pass.
Coda CP Preamp- Class A design includes a load able phono stage for moving coils or magnets.
Coda CSX Amplifier drives the treble @ 350 watts into 8 ohms, Doubles into 4 ohms, first 25 watts Class A
2 Coda CX Amplifiers drive the midrange and mid bass @ 300 watts into 8 ohms Doubles into 8 ohms.

2 Bang and Olufson Ice Amps 750 watts @ 8 ohms doubles into 4. These amps drive the subbass drivers on the Helix.

XilicaXD 4080 8 Channel Digital Crossover to steer the Helix

PS Audio I am currently one of the Beta Testers of the software of the PWT, PWD, and the Bridge. I have been a Perfect Wave user since the products were introduced.
PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC MK II
PS Audio Bridge
PPS Audioerfect Wave Transport
PS AudioPower Plant P 10 - This unit powers my front end which includes all PWD, PWD, Bridge, CP Preamp, Windows laptop running eLyric software, and Xilica crossover.
PS Audio Power Plant Premier - This unit powers my Airport Extreme, the Windows Home Server PC, and Cable Modem.
PS AudioDuet (2) I use one before each PowerPlant.
3 PS Audio Ultimate Outlet High Power - I use one for each amplifier.
PS Audio Noise Harvester (6) Scattered through out the house and system.

Windows Dedicated Home ServerWindows Dedicated Home Server with 4 terabytes and Corsair power supply.

AuralexMetrofusors - An array covers the entire wall behind the listener.
and T Fusors (See pictures for placement.) Only one way to get these thing right, experiment and listen. I also use Auralex MetroFoam and Wedges.

Ready AcousticsBass Traps 4 and 6 inch. 24 x 48 inches.

Herbie's Audio Lab
Tenderfeet used under all components.

Signal Cable One of the great brands of cables superbly constructed and voiced.
Magic Power Cords and Magic Digital Power cords used through out the system.
Signal Cable Silver Resolution Interconnects
Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables

SOTA Saphire Turntable with Acrylic Platter and Reflex Clamp
Sumiko FT-3 Tonearm with VTA Adjustment
Audioquest 404 B and Dynavector Ruby 23r Cartridges

Currently I have about 24 Dedicated 8 gauge lines that are terminated with PS Audio, Maestro, and Leviton hospital grade outlets.

I will describe the room and how it was concieved and constructed in another post soon.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Steve and welcome to the WBF. It looks like you have assembled a system that offers many hours of enjoyable listening. Very nice.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Legacy Audio Helix Loudspeakers: A quad amped 4 way speaker system
Coda CP Preamp
Coda CSX Amplifier for treble
2 Coda CX amplifiers for mid bass and treble
Xilica XD 4080 Crossover to steer the Helix
PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC MK II
PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport
PS Audio Power Plant P 10
PS Audio Power Plant Premier
PS Audio Duet (2)
PS Audio Quintet (2)
PS Audio Noise Harvester (6)
PS Audio Bridge
Windows Dedicated Home Server with 4 terabytes
Auralex Metro and T Fusors
Ready Acoudtics Bass Traps
Herbie's Audio Lab Tweaks
Signal Cable Power Cords
Signal Cable Silver Resolution Interconnects
Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
SOTA Turntable w/Sumiko Arm & Audioquest Cartridge

Which SOTA table and which Sumiko arm?

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Thanks Tom. The system is very enjoyable. I hope to publish more info and pictures soon.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
The phono system consists of a SOTA Saphire with acrylic mat and reflex clamp which at the time was very close to the sound of the SOTA Star with vacuum for a fraction of the price. The arm is the Sumiko FT-3 with VTA adjustment built in. The cartridge is he Audioquest 403b. I will be sending the table back to Sumiko for a rebuild and update this year. I'm also considering what to do about the cartridge. Either to look for a replacement like the Sumiko Blackbird or send my Dynavector Ruby 23r and Audiquest to Soundsmith for rebuilds or sell them as is and put the money to something new like the Blackbird. Any ideas or opinions would be great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing