Induction ranges

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Folks,
We're looking to get a 30" induction range as an improvement over our current electric range + child safety concerns. The cooktop must be induction, the oven can be any technology. Everything needs to sit in the 30" space. We're getting new countertops so a cooktop over an oven is a possible solution. We're not re-doing the cabinets so going to a 36" is out of the question.

Looking at various brands and reviews, it seems that GE is the only company that is making a trouble-free range w. induction technology? Viking and Miele seem to have all kinds of problems. I'm not sure if Wolf allows stacking of their cooktops over the ovens. Right now we're looking at a GE monogram cooktop sitting on top of a GE wall oven. Our cookware is already compliant with the tech.

Have any forum members had any experiences with induction technology? Any recommendations or brands to avoid? Thanks!

Greg

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Folks,
We're looking to get a 30" induction range as an improvement over our current electric range + child safety concerns. The cooktop must be induction, the oven can be any technology. Everything needs to sit in the 30" space. We're getting new countertops so a cooktop over an oven is a possible solution. We're not re-doing the cabinets so going to a 36" is out of the question.

Looking at various brands and reviews, it seems that GE is the only company that is making a trouble-free range w. induction technology? Viking and Miele seem to have all kinds of problems. I'm not sure if Wolf allows stacking of their cooktops over the ovens. Right now we're looking at a GE monogram cooktop sitting on top of a GE wall oven. Our cookware is already compliant with the tech.

Have any forum members had any experiences with induction technology? Any recommendations or brands to avoid? Thanks!

Greg

I have had induction for the last 4 years. I purchased the first generation Viking countertop which was a lemon. Viking soon switched designs and the new design works perfectly. The cooktop uses analog knobs and is not digital so to speak. I love it as I would never go back to gas or electric. Induction I have found is so flexible as far as temperature and the range of heat. I can stir fry with a cast iron wok or I can keep melted chocalate warm. With induction I make the best omelets ever and it has made my life in the kitchen so much easier and safer. I could go on and on but you will be a better cook with induction.

I just checked the Viking ranges,they have the knobs and it looks really nice. If the cost isn't a problem,try one out at your local supplier.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have pro units made by Cookek. They are noisy but were much cheaper than consumer units. And they are modular and come in a Wok configuration. A plus/minus is that it has a dial that goes from 0 to 100. Many units have a handful of settings which is harder to use as one is too high, the other too low. So be sure to look at that. The minus is what is good about the Viking above. It uses touch to select the temps which I don't like.

We also have a gas cooktop and usually use that. There is something about fire/heat level that you can see that induction doesn't have. As with the ability to be rough with pans over the cooktop and not worrying about scratching things. But when you need the heat, nothing beats induction. With our wok unit, even at 50% level it leaves our Wolf cooktop in the dust. At 100%, it can be scary hot to the point that it vaporizes moisture on contact, creating amazing amount of steam such that you can't even see your food! We have a massive hood and that helps.

Anyway, make sure to bring pans and boil some water in them. Listen for how much noise they make. Slide the pan back and forth to see how well it sits put and how easy it is to scratch the glass surface.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I have had induction for the last 4 years. I purchased the first generation Viking countertop which was a lemon. Viking soon switched designs and the new design works perfectly. The cooktop uses analog knobs and is not digital so to speak. I love it as I would never go back to gas or electric. Induction I have found is so flexible as far as temperature and the range of heat. I can stir fry with a cast iron wok or I can keep melted chocalate warm. With induction I make the best omelets ever and it has made my life in the kitchen so much easier and safer. I could go on and on but you will be a better cook with induction.

I just checked the Viking ranges,they have the knobs and it looks really nice. If the cost isn't a problem,try one out at your local supplier.
Good to know r.e. Viking... sometimes it's hard to determine if/when a design change occurred. Thanks!

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
We have pro units made by Cookek. They are noisy but were much cheaper than consumer units. And they are modular and come in a Wok configuration. A plus/minus is that it has a dial that goes from 0 to 100. Many units have a handful of settings which is harder to use as one is too high, the other too low. So be sure to look at that. The minus is what is good about the Viking above. It uses touch to select the temps which I don't like.

We also have a gas cooktop and usually use that. There is something about fire/heat level that you can see that induction doesn't have. As with the ability to be rough with pans over the cooktop and not worrying about scratching things. But when you need the heat, nothing beats induction. With our wok unit, even at 50% level it leaves our Wolf cooktop in the dust. At 100%, it can be scary hot to the point that it vaporizes moisture on contact, creating amazing amount of steam such that you can't even see your food! We have a massive hood and that helps.

Anyway, make sure to bring pans and boil some water in them. Listen for how much noise they make. Slide the pan back and forth to see how well it sits put and how easy it is to scratch the glass surface.
Amir, were these drop-in modules in your countertop or separate appliances (i.e. "portable" burners)? Also, how noisy are they in relation to a vent hood?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They are drop-in units. They make the table top too. Here is the line we used: http://www.cooktek.com/product/cooking-front-house/cooktops/apogee™-single-drop-cooktop

A bit like Pro audio equipment, they expect a hostile environment and the fan constantly runs. That noise is fairly filtered as it is sitting inside the cabinet (where it needs fair amount of air space for circulation). But you can still hear it. Once you start cooking though, it is not audible. They have them at restaurant supply places and when I was interested, they were going to offer for me to get one on loan. The main attraction for us was their Wok unit. Hardly anyone made those and ones that did exist, were 2X the price and took a lot more space than this.

If you have the vent hood on med/high, you will not at all hear the unit. Even on low likely the hood will make more noise.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think all induction units have fans to cool the modules. Residential designs operate on a thermostatic switch and turn off at a set temp. Commercial units like Amir said probably run constantly. The fans are not noisy as you have to be aware or else you do not notice there working.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing