Leica

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Oh sorry F--- What I enquired was, in 1960 I worked for commercial Photo company in the UK--we basically travelled the Northern areas covering Clubs/ Promenades/Holiday camps /etc

We were called "Smudgers " our cameras were Leica M2 bodies single strokers with the Summaron 28 or 35mm WA lenses--( sorry bit hazy cannot recall exactly which Focal length) they were fixed focus and preset aperture

same for ASA-by the company they were given to us this way --sort of Preset/snap ready.

the Lens focus was always set on midway between Infinity and F11 for max depth of field- sometimes we had to snap in Clubs pitch black no way for focus just point and Flash --ha!.

My apologies guess I was mistaken into believing the M2 did not Focus in the viewfinder with those lenses as the couple of occasions

I "fiddled" with the settings I cannot recall any Focus framing ,coming together of the images, when the lens was focused manually.

Sorry for the confusion I must have been mistaken--enjoy the brand they are superb--Good Shooting:D !

BruceD

The M2 has framelines for 35/50/90mm - back then there wouldn't have been any for 28mm but you can get that now if you want. So I assume it was 35mm. But if you had a very wide angle like 21mm or 16mm, there wouldn't have been any point in focusing because anything farther out that a couple feet would be in the DOF so long as your F stop was higher (like F11). I'm not sure about vintage, but more recent lenses like that come with a viewer for the shoe. I don't really recall seeing any really wide vintage lenses...

Btw "ASA" isn't a setting for Leicas, other than there is a dial indicator for reminding you of film speed.

Here's how the focusing works. However, it's a lot better looking to your eye than the video camera used for this, an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAmjugcBkmQ

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ha!-- Thank you F for the explanations --it was along time ago:rolleyes:-- Much appreciated for the Vid!

BruceD

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have an M9 Titanium limited edition available if anyone is interested

Factory sealed, never been opened......

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Old thread.. but here goes.. My father was a professional photographer and had a variety of cameras for work. Mostly Hasselblad w 120/220 format and some 4x5 studio cameras, nikons, Alpha, etc..
He always went for the Leica‘s when he was out shooting for enjoyment, family shots.. the alpha was second.. The hasselblads were amazing and those large negatives allowed for great flexibility in the darkroom.. My how things have changed..

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I recently purchased a slightly used Leica Q. I'm still learning it although I am a very experienced photographer. The lens sharpness is many levels above even my better Nikon lenses. Build quality is off the charts good.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I recently purchased a slightly used Leica Q. I'm still learning it although I am a very experienced photographer. The lens sharpness is many levels above even my better Nikon lenses. Build quality is off the charts good.
Love my Leica Q. The new Noctilux 50mm F1.2 is tempting too...

Reactions: Lee

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Love my Leica Q. The new Noctilux 50mm F1.2 is tempting too...
As you should ! What’s the resolution ? Mirrorless? I haven’t kept up with digital cameras in the high end.
Im sure It must be amazing. These silly phones take great pictures for what they are. I can only imagine how good the Leica would be with all that wonderful glass.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
As you should ! What’s the resolution ? Mirrorless? I haven’t kept up with digital cameras in the high end.
Im sure It must be amazing. These silly phones take great pictures for what they are. I can only imagine how good the Leica would be with all that wonderful glass.
24MP i think which is plenty. Fixed 28mm F1.8 lens which means no faffing around with lenses and wide enough for shallow depth of field. Macro mode as well. It's a great camera. If I need anything more comprehensive the M10P with a 50mm and 90mm covers most things for me.

Reactions: Lee and Mikem53

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
24MP i think which is plenty. Fixed 28mm F1.8 lens which means no faffing around with lenses and wide enough for shallow depth of field. Macro mode as well. It's a great camera. If I need anything more comprehensive the M10P with a 50mm and 90mm covers most things for me.
Maybe it's my poor Uverse bandwidth but I don't see the image here.
Back in the early 80s, I sold off all of my Nikon SLRs & lenses & replaced them with a Leica M5. Never looked back - the Leica suited my needs & expectations perfectly.

Reactions: Lee and howiebrou

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
9 years later and I still don’t own a Leica. I actually dumped my trusty Canon S110 finally too as I’m trying to take less pictures on the road and enjoy the moment more. 2-3 good shots a day is all I need.

I do think a film Leica might make sense for that purpose.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
7 years ago i got the Leica bug big time, bought 2 new bodies, and a whole slew of spendy lenses. i did enjoy my time with them, but at a certain point when it came to a new cartridge, new turntable, or keeping the Leica's....the wife said choose......i chose my first love.

wish they all could have stayed. still have all Leica supporting bits and pieces....filters and such. my plan once i retire, when i have time, is to choose one Leica body and a couple of lenses so i can finish my Leica love affair. it's on hold for now.

loved/love the Leica 'look' of the files and pieces, and using them was a dream.

Reactions: Lee and howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Back in the early 80s, I sold off all of my Nikon SLRs & lenses & replaced them with a Leica M5. Never looked back - the Leica suited my needs & expectations perfectly.
I did the same. Out went the Nikon D1X/D200 with huge and heavy 70-200, 17-35, 27-80 etc etc and in came a tiny M9 which has become a M10P and Q and CL. There is something magical in carrying a tiny camera.

Reactions: Lee

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I spent a lot of time viewing family events, vacations, etc through a viewfinder, carrying a bag and lenses.
I have lots of pictures and nobody cares. So I haven't used my Nikon film or digital in a few years. It's nice not
being tethered by a camera strap. Just an iPhone is all I use anymore.

Reactions: Lee and KeithR

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I spent a lot of time viewing family events, vacations, etc through a viewfinder, carrying a bag and lenses.
I have lots of pictures and nobody cares. So I haven't used my Nikon film or digital in a few years. It's nice not
being tethered by a camera strap. Just an iPhone is all I use anymore.
That gets truer with every iteration of smartphone. Some of their lenses work better in certain situations than a camera would. Always nice though to have one camera available for those special situations when you really want that multi layered picture that no 5mm lens will ever be able to produce, however brilliant the software.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing