Atomic Audio Labs Mac Mini Isolation Platform

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I am not really a "tweaks" kind of guy, with a system that nobody would consider "tricked out". I use a Mach2Music Mac Mini as my digital source through the Krell/B&W/JL chain described in my profile. I believe more in careful system setup and tuning for frequency response and imaging. However, I have experienced a few of the "AHA" moments when unlikely products or procedures changed the perceived sound of my system due to reasons beyond explanation. While I believe that there is a concrete reason for every "change" we perceive, defining and detailing that reason can sometimes become the stuff of legend (at least on some audiophile forums..... ;) ).

With that said, I'd like to relate my experience with a system add-on that works in a manner that is well-documented: vibration control. Since I currently use a second-hand rack with glass shelves that ring like your doorbell, I should have expected that a reduction in vibration would produce better sound. The fact that reducing the vibration in my digital front-end would have a profound effect is what came as a surprise.

I introduce the MAC PLATFORM from Atomic Audio Labs:

http://www.trueaudiophile.com/atomic-audio-labs-mac-mini-platform/

I was definitely surprised when I heard the top octaves of my system "open up", with seemingly more frequency extension and "air" without the harshness or tizz one might expect. (There must be a measurable difference here... I could even hear it from the next room.) On recordings with which I am intimately familiar, the change (a very positive one) was unmistakable. This was not a "needs a double-blind test" kind of difference, it was completely apparent in a few seconds of listening.

The build quality of the platform is exemplary. CNC machining produces an exact fit-match to the Mac Mini. The platform sits on three high-quality spikes (under which I placed a small piece of MDF left-over shelving to protect the glass shelf top).

I know that there are other folks here using the Mac Mini as their digital music server, and I would highly recommend that they check out the Atomic Audio Labs Mac Platform. For $299, it made a substantial difference in sound, a difference that I have paid much more for in other system changes over the years. Very nice product!

Now, I truly understand all the interest in high-quality racks and shelving, and the impact it makes on system performance.

Lee

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks for posting this Lee! I think I'll try one. It looks exactly like what I need :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congratulations Lee, as an ode to Steve, sometimes different really is better. Glad you found something that is. :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
HI

I will not comment on this one I haven't heard it so .. I would however have bought it if only for the aesthetic value .. The little think is gorgeous ... but it seems to perfrom another thing that of cooling which may help too ...

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Guys,

As one of the folks who tries to keep "craziness" from sweeping over this forum, I was well aware of the ramifications of posting this review. I simply feel that I've learned a good lesson about audio, in that you can't completely ignore a known area of importance and expect to achieve top-grade results. The platform is just better for the music, in every sense I could describe.

And yes, Frantz, it truly is a work of art.

Lee

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
Lee,

Do you still have and like this platform?

Thinking on getting one.

I have the '09 MM with LPS and was told by Larry Moote to buy a new MM as it is a much better machine. Thoughts?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
its like the Metronome Kalista Reference Base! (and the Base by the way i have said is a seminal contributor to the Metronome Kalista Ref sound) Seems similar here...Fantastic...congrats.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing