Sutherland Engineering Timeline

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
What I like about it is the fact that it accounts for stylus drag when making speed adjustments. Anyone own and use it ? Comments ? TIA

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I set 33rpm speed by measuring a fixed frequency of 1kHz at the amplifier terminals, after assuring my Fluke's accuracy by playing a 1kHz tone with the CD player. This also accounts for stylus drag which is surprisingly significant. This is so accurate that if I then want to set 45rpm speed, I simply multiply the VPI SDS 33 rpm speed by 45/33.33 - the output frequency is then confirmed at 1.350 kHz

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I set 33rpm speed by measuring a fixed frequency of 1kHz at the amplifier terminals, after assuring my Fluke's accuracy by playing a 1kHz tone with the CD player. This also accounts for stylus drag which is surprisingly significant. This is so accurate that if I then want to set 45rpm speed, I simply multiply the VPI SDS 33 rpm speed by 45/33.33 - the output frequency is then confirmed at 1.350 kHz

That sound's like a good option as I have a fluke multimeter...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I prefer the Digistrobo. Lot less headache, just as accurate and know the speed within 15 secs or so. You can even check the speed when playing.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I prefer the Digistrobo. Lot less headache, just as accurate and know the speed within 15 secs or so. You can even check the speed when playing.

Okay, that accounts for stylus drag too. I would think the multimeter would be most accurate as you get a specific reading rather than using your eye to see if the speed is stable...Nice option too. Thanks.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

silly question, how do I hook the fluke up to the rca out's of my phono pre to measure frequency while playing a test tone record ? Do I need to fashion an rca jack for the preamp out end and bare wire at the other to hook up the fluke (+ and -) to one channel ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
silly question, how do I hook the fluke up to the rca out's of my phono pre to measure frequency while playing a test tone record ? Do I need to fashion an rca jack for the preamp out end and bare wire at the other to hook up the fluke (+ and -) to one channel ?

edit...used and alligator clip for the black to connect to the shield of the rca jack and the red probe (+) to insert into the jack. Works like a charm. Thanks.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Or just do what I do - plug it into the amplifier output, as I mentioned; unless you think your electronics cannot accurately reproduce a 1kHz tone, but God forbid in that case, that wouldn't be the high end...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
post deleted as my information was incorrect. measuring frequency is not accurate to 1/1000th hz, rather it is accurate to 1 hz playing back a 1000 hz test tone

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
worked great on my phono pre outs. I have to think that the multimeter is the most accurate method...to within 1/1000 of a Hz. Can't see how one can be that accurate looking at a strobe or the line on the wall as is the case with the Timeline. You saved me $400.00 ! Thanks.

Exactly - but only if you have a good multimeter like a Fluke. You are welcome.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's another similar trick to set cartridge azimuth using your R2Rs VU meters or multimeter... play the same 1kHz CD tone and measure the output voltage at the pre's tape output; adjust internal preamp tape-out buffers till you get the same reading per channel (this assumes your CD player's/DAC's output is matched to very low tolerances between its channels, which is common, but you should measure that too; and that you can indeed adjust these buffers - on my Spectral preamp, I can).

Now that your preamp tape-out is calibrated, adjust azimuth using the multimeter, but I find it easier to use the VU, meters as follows: first adjust the input gain on the R2R so that both meters read the same 0dB reading with the same 1kHz CD tone; switch to the 1kHz tone on the LP and adjust azimuth till the VU meters read the same value.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing