Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sutherland Engineering Timeline

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar

Sutherland Engineering Timeline

What I like about it is the fact that it accounts for stylus drag when making speed adjustments. Anyone own and use it ? Comments ? TIA
    Christian

System Gear

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    I set 33rpm speed by measuring a fixed frequency of 1kHz at the amplifier terminals, after assuring my Fluke's accuracy by playing a 1kHz tone with the CD player. This also accounts for stylus drag which is surprisingly significant. This is so accurate that if I then want to set 45rpm speed, I simply multiply the VPI SDS 33 rpm speed by 45/33.33 - the output frequency is then confirmed at 1.350 kHz
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    I set 33rpm speed by measuring a fixed frequency of 1kHz at the amplifier terminals, after assuring my Fluke's accuracy by playing a 1kHz tone with the CD player. This also accounts for stylus drag which is surprisingly significant. This is so accurate that if I then want to set 45rpm speed, I simply multiply the VPI SDS 33 rpm speed by 45/33.33 - the output frequency is then confirmed at 1.350 kHz
    That sound's like a good option as I have a fluke multimeter...
    Christian

System Gear

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    I prefer the Digistrobo. Lot less headache, just as accurate and know the speed within 15 secs or so. You can even check the speed when playing.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    I prefer the Digistrobo. Lot less headache, just as accurate and know the speed within 15 secs or so. You can even check the speed when playing.
    Okay, that accounts for stylus drag too. I would think the multimeter would be most accurate as you get a specific reading rather than using your eye to see if the speed is stable...Nice option too. Thanks.
    Last edited by rockitman; 04-23-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    silly question, how do I hook the fluke up to the rca out's of my phono pre to measure frequency while playing a test tone record ? Do I need to fashion an rca jack for the preamp out end and bare wire at the other to hook up the fluke (+ and -) to one channel ?
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    silly question, how do I hook the fluke up to the rca out's of my phono pre to measure frequency while playing a test tone record ? Do I need to fashion an rca jack for the preamp out end and bare wire at the other to hook up the fluke (+ and -) to one channel ?
    edit...used and alligator clip for the black to connect to the shield of the rca jack and the red probe (+) to insert into the jack. Works like a charm. Thanks.
    Christian

System Gear

Or just do what I do - plug it into the amplifier output, as I mentioned; unless you think your electronics cannot accurately reproduce a 1kHz tone, but God forbid in that case, that wouldn't be the high end...
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

post deleted as my information was incorrect. measuring frequency is not accurate to 1/1000th hz, rather it is accurate to 1 hz playing back a 1000 hz test tone
    Last edited by rockitman; 12-28-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    worked great on my phono pre outs. I have to think that the multimeter is the most accurate method...to within 1/1000 of a Hz. Can't see how one can be that accurate looking at a strobe or the line on the wall as is the case with the Timeline. You saved me $400.00 ! Thanks.
    Exactly - but only if you have a good multimeter like a Fluke. You are welcome.
    System link WBF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast