Fresh Meat from Nashville Tennessee!!!

c2cthomas

An introduction – of sorts.......;)
Decisions, decisions, to regale you all with my many years of experience around things electronic, or to keep it short and simple – perhaps something in between?
I have become sensitive to the reality that when discussing my past life(s) that I have a tendency to become verbose and bore most people to the edge of tears. If my dear wife Susan were present with us here she would be giving me the visual “cut it short” signal by passing her fingers across her throat and attempt to make it look like a casual motion such as adjusting her necklace or earrings. She has often commented that I could carry on a discussion with a tree and walk away believing that I had won the debate. Thus I will attempt to be brief until I become better known around these parts and you know better than to offer me an open invitation to ramble on about topics of little importance to persons that have a healthy perspective of a functional life.

I learned my vacuum tube and electronics knowledge while serving in the U.S. Navy for six years as a Missile Fire Control Technician. The 1st radar I was trained to maintain used digital logic but it was all tubes, including the internal computer and thus I learned my digital logic on vacuum tube technology and later advanced to transistors, and IC’s. I was around when we changed over the FC system from analog to digital. The upside to having all that experience with hundreds of tubes is that I’m pretty good around tube electronics. The down side is that my tube amp output is usually a digital “1” or “0” and drives a 20 mA current loop.

I worked on and fixed teletypes that had a bell on the carriage return and made a very sweet “ping” sound.

I remember when programming code still had line numbers.
I worked on 300 baud modems that were the size of a file cabinet drawer and were rack mounted.
I learned my Q.C. stuff at Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC) - now long gone.
I spent the last 20 some odd years around Meteorological gear and love the science!!!

Blah – blah – blah, etc.

I’m into the DIY end of audio and love the smell of a hot soldering iron in the morning.:D

I’m 49 for the 16th time and I AM NOT EITHER in denial about it!!! It’s a state of mind – which should give you some sort of warning. :p

It is my pleasure to be here amongst fellow audiophiles!!! ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Thomas. When I read the title of the thread, I thought we were in a barbecue thread and there was a new source of "meat" I had to go and investigate :D. I did not fix Teletypes but watched my brother suffer through them after my Dad bought half a dozen of them. He managed to fix a few. I have never seen such mechanical complexity as them. Well OK, some car cassette players were just as bad :).

Anyway, welcome again. Look forward to your posts.

c2cthomas

I took some time to see what sorts of audio nuts were hanging around here Amirm and stumbled into your intro. I find your experience and history both fascinating and inspiring!!!! I'm a huge devotee of Dr. Demming and Stephen Covey and "teams" and synergy and have been a team leader and facilitator for many projects. It may sound corny to some - but I'm a big time believer!!! It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance sir!!! :cool:

c2cthomas

Another welcome as well Thomas. I too thought we were talking BBQ ;)

In a past life I discovered that if you wanted people to come to a meeting tell 'em there would be lot's of food involved. Worked every time!!!! ;)

It is my pleasure to meet you too Steve and thank you and Amirm for providing me with another place with which to support my audio addictions. :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Greetings and welcome from another former Deccie.
I haven't thought about KSR35's in years.

c2cthomas

Greetings and welcome from another former Deccie.
I haven't thought about KSR35's in years.

Hi Lee and Ronm1 and thanks for the Welcome. I'll try and behave and make some positive contributions over in the DIY threads...... The key word being "try";)

Ronm1 - with that "it's not a bug - it's a feature" line I have strong suspicions that after DEC ya must have spent some time writing code for "Bill" and the boys. It's always good to see another DEC kid around - sometime we can BS about all of the things that should have - could have - would have - been if it just wasn't for those darn share holders......;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Welcome, Thomas. We can compete for the most lengthy post!

Tim

c2cthomas

Welcome, Thomas. We can compete for the most lengthy post!

Tim

Hello Tim - and thank you for the warm welcome. I will provide you yet with another fair warning about encouraging me to ramble on about things that only seem to matter to that old fart I see in the mirror in the morning...... :D:D:D

Assuming that discussions around here are limited to things audio at least you will get somewhat of a reprieve from things political - religious - economic - or about teenaged granddaugters. Now if we are to open a little talk about single stranded silver speaker wires that have been cryo treated and blessed by Tibetan Monks after being pickled in Yak urine then you are on!!!:D:D:D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Dr. Deming was the best Q.C. guru in my opinion and he is still revered in Japan. Stephen Covey was a cult full of Coveyites-his time has come and gone. I hated the 7 Deadly Sins training I had to take. I wanted to "sharpen the saw" and cut all of his books up.

Corporations love to chase the next shiny Q.C. training nickel rolling down the street. If you want to make some money, come up with a new Q.C. program that is trendier than the old ones and sell it to large corporations and the government. I have been through Quality Circles, Dr. Deming’s Continuous Improvement, Covey, and Lean. Come up with a new concept and get yourself a believable front man and you can make a fortune before your candle burns out.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Welcome Thomas! :b

Bob

c2cthomas

Dr. Deming was the best Q.C. guru in my opinion and he is still revered in Japan. Stephen Covey was a cult full of Coveyites-his time has come and gone. I hated the 7 Deadly Sins training I had to take. I wanted to "sharpen the saw" and cut all of his books up.

Corporations love to chase the next shiny Q.C. training nickel rolling down the street. If you want to make some money, come up with a new Q.C. program that is trendier than the old ones and sell it to large corporations and the government. I have been through Quality Circles, Dr. Deming’s Continuous Improvement, Covey, and Lean. Come up with a new concept and get yourself a believable front man and you can make a fortune before your candle burns out.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes!!! Yep - I also have been through all of the above - and more. If we get onto discussions of what does and doesn't work in the world of QC, things will have changed yet again before the discussion has ended. I always believed that the latest and greatest QC - team - process improvement - Sigma something - things were little more than a means to justify some upper level exec to get a fat bonus and a feather in their war bonnet. Fortunately I was able to cut through all of that BS and actually make sense out things and put them into terms and programs real working people could understand and implement. You can actually make your products and processes better - faster - smarter - and thus beat the pants off of your competition and stay in business. I don't merely "know" this - I do it. Well actually I did it - now I'm out to pasture and enjoying retirement. But I really loved the challenge of how to make things go better - faster - cheaper in a production environment. I ate that stuff for breakfast!!!!

Dr. Deming still holds true - he is my inspiration as to just how a cranky old guy should act (short and to the point) and I loved those "assistants" he had on his staff!!!! How in the world did he pull that off???

Last edited:

c2cthomas

---Welcome Thomas! :b

Bob

Hi Bob - and thank you for your Welcome!!! I do know some chaps up in your neck of the woods and constantly accuse them of secretly plotting to invade the USA in an attempt to have a place in the sun where they can watch the hockey games on the telly while soaking up the rays on a sandy beach somewhere. Sorry to see the Canuck's out of the show so early because we here in Nashville wanted to get a little "pay back" for last years series......:D:D:D

Perhaps we will get a chance to give that a go come next season!!! ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Thomas and welcome to the WBF! You wouldn't by chance know Mark out there close to where you live, would you? I'll drop you a hint. He's a radio engineer and big on the DIY stuff.

c2cthomas

Hello, Thomas and welcome to the WBF! You wouldn't by chance know Mark out there close to where you live, would you? I'll drop you a hint. He's a radio engineer and big on the DIY stuff.

Hello treitz3 - and thank you for your Welcome to me. I do know a couple of DIY types as well as audio nutz in the local Nashville area as I am a member of the Nashville Audio Society (although David P. might disavow any knowledge of that ;)) Buuuuuuuuuuuuut I don't know any "Mark's". My brother-in-law has been mixing sound here for many years tho and he most likely would - but seeing as how we rarely get together I would be pushing up daisy's before I got around to asking him. I could love to meet a DIY guy here local as my other buddies are more into listening than building things. I still need to post some photo's of what I've built up - but don't get hot and bothered about that because you aren't missing much....:rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Bob - and thank you for your Welcome!!! I do know some chaps up in your neck of the woods and constantly accuse them of secretly plotting to invade the USA in an attempt to have a place in the sun where they can watch the hockey games on the telly while soaking up the rays on a sandy beach somewhere. Sorry to see the Canuck's out of the show so early because we here in Nashville wanted to get a little "pay back" for last years series......:D:D:D

Perhaps we will get a chance to give that a go come next season!!! ;)

Are you kiddin'! ...In the middle of tornadoes and all that catastrophic Jazz goin' on in the USA!!! No way Jose! :b

Yeah me too I know some chaps from your neighborhood.

And you don't have to feel sorry for the Canucks; they suck anyway! :D
And besides, I'm a Hab's fan (Montreal Canadians).
And 'Montrealais' ain't goin' no more to Florida in the winter; they hit cruise ships now.
...Just ask my Mum and her friends.

Nashville is real cool though; the musicianship (Neil Young & the rest of the gang). :cool::b

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. Neil Young, is he a Canadian? ;)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ronm1 - with that "it's not a bug - it's a feature" line I have strong suspicions that after DEC ya must have spent some time writing code for "Bill" and the boys. It's always good to see another DEC kid

Good call. Last stint (DEC,CPQ,HP) was in VMS Eng

c2cthomas

Good call. Last stint (DEC,CPQ,HP) was in VMS Eng

Brother Patrick still lives in Mass. and works in Hartford making a living interfacing VMS systems to run in a .net environment. He is one of the few that know COBAL well and can get those "old iron" systems to play in today's world (including 20 or 30 years worth of work around jury rigged patches).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing