How loud do you listen?

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
I have a Radioshack spl meter and was listening the other day when I observed how loud I was listening. I like my music to sound like what I hear when listening to live music. Except for rock and large orchestral music which is too loud. The meter was showing 75 to 80db so I expect that peaks were around 85 to 100db. Which is about what real music is played at.
I dont want to damage my ears so I dont listen this loud for too long. Most of the time the meter is showing around 65 to 75db for casual listening. Which is still pretty loud. So how about you? How loud do you listen and how loud to sound like live music?
Wendell

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I play movies very loud. I like the dynamics to be there so usually -6 to -10 db relative to reference. For music, it depends on the setting. In our living room, I never have it that loud. The books would fall off the shelf otherwise :). But while in the dedicated space, I have been known to have it past 12:00. :D

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
When I used my horns, I listened very, very loud. Above 90 db I guess.

Some month ago I switched to Maggies. With these speakers it is a pleasure to listen at low volumes.
Of course I listen to different music now. More classical than rock.
I have not heard my classical music collection for years. Now I discover it new.

Andreas

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For me it varies; it's all over the map depending of the mood from that moment, and the content.
...Contentment? :b

* Sometimes I'm below 70dB, and at other times I can hit 120dB on peaks! :b

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Volume varies by content - you don't want to blast chamber music, but you do symphonic. In addition, the more resolving the equipment the softer one tends to play back music, as the brain isn't struggling to hear the details it thinks should be there.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Wendell. For me, movies are rather loud. Couldn't tell you exactly how loud as I have not used an SPL meter but it's about on par with a movie theater while seated mid way back with much better sound quality than the theaters I have heard around Charlotte.

2-channel on the other hand? The volume is all over the place. An acoustic guitar performance [for instance] would be as close to what it would be as if they were there, in my living room playing live in front of me. Something along the lines of a rock concert may very well go up to as loud as I can go, without the collapse of the sound stage or any noticeable distortion. This is also recording dependent. It seems that when the recordings are top notch, I tend to go a little louder but if the recording is rather bad or heavily compressed, I tend to turn it down. Really bad recordings are at or below normal talking levels. Background music, if you will.

Then I will echo what ack mentioned...

...the more resolving the equipment the softer one tends to play back music, as the brain isn't struggling to hear the details it thinks should be there

I do listen, overall, at less volume these days. Where I'm at now, it doesn't need to be loud to appreciate and hear all of the frequencies and details which is great for late night listening when the family is asleep.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In addition, the more resolving the equipment the softer one tends to play back music, as the brain isn't struggling to hear the details it thinks should be there.

Interesting...i did not fully appreciate that until more recently. I always used to listen around 25-35 on my pre...then i upgraded my components...preamp is newer but same volume control. Gain is 26 and 31 on pre/amp respectively. But i can listen in a room that is 17x30 at volume 1...usually at 1am. The complete recalibration of my sub after using a Auralex isolation platform made a huge difference. I get total signal from 20hz up (or so it feels...i've never measured, but i know a few tracks that have signals down that low which come thru nicely at this level)...the bass wallop, the full signal...its very satisfying and i never, ever had this before...the lowest i used to go was around 12-15. rarely around 8.

I will play up to 45 but rarely because it starts to bother the neighbors...2 floors down.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, those numbers above, they relate to hom many decibels (on average)? :b

Hi Northstar...could not possibly say. i honestly have no idea. when the 2 of us have dinner, i play jazz at this level and we can have dinner 7-10 feet away and it never gets in the way of a normal conversation at quiet levels. But when you listen, its all perfectly clear and the bass is nice and solid. again, i have never had this before...the lowest before would have been 8-15 and then it would be louder and somewhat intrusive into quiet conversation.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Because Lloyd, those numbers are very relative, as they vary a lot from one preamp to the next.
...Know what I'm sayin'? :b

Totally right...i really cannot say other than description. If it helps, when the kitchen hood fan is on...25 feet away, it is difficult to hear the system 12 feet away. i know, i know...i dont have a decibel meter.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
;)

jpv

Nov 18, 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
Wendell,
I set my volume control to one position when doing critical listening. The system is calibrated to 83 db. I let the recording determine the loudness. If the recording is done correct it is very listenable. If the album is screwed up that's what it is. No adjustment will fix it. A compressed recording will be compressed. A recording with no bass / too much bass will be just that. A recording that has hiss will have hiss. Lowering the volume to make it better is not right. It's still a crappy recording. Just because you can't hear it because you lowered the volume doesn't make recording better.
A buddy of mine brought over an ablum I have a copy of. We listened to his and then mine to compare the pressings. His had more suface noise so he lowered the volume and proclaimed his was just as quiet as my copy, What? No kidding its quiter you just turned it down.
I also will not adjust my subs for recording with no bass like he does. If the record it lacking bass maybe thats the intent of the recording or they blow it.

JPV

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's hardcore JPV. I used to do that at work but I've always been liberal about SPL at home.

Oh, I've been naughty lately. 100-105 dB peaks average from 85 to 90. Yeah, I know. I'll start behaving. :)

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I agree with the statement that the better the system, the less difference between one volume setting and another.

As my systems have improved over the decades, this has been proven out for me. I now listen to movies at -4 to -12 below reference, depends on how well mixed / engineered the soundtrack is.

for music, I typically listen at an avg of 78dB, with certain tracks getting me to bump up to the low 80's for ten or so minutes (prog rock pieces can go on ... )

The peaks at those levels will be in the low 100's, which is perfectly fine, as the system is very low distortion, as my target is <1% THD at 105dB SPL.

One of the things that has really helped me enjoy lower volumes in the past two years is Audyssey Dynamic EQ, especially the newest one on XT32, with adjustable thresholds that are more music friendly (vs being set for movie 'reference'). This let's me enjoy my music while surfing the web and not blow my ears out when listening for hours on end.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Pretty reasonable volume for me. Course if I'm alone it will be a little louder. I do use a sub for music but more to just enhance. While good boom can bring a smile with movies, I tend to lean towards a more realistic presentation. A pin dropping that sounds like an abomb going off just doesn't cut it. Another issue is noise of anykind. System noise, any background noise, fans, etc... Tis a reason I dumped the early PS3 or can't stand projector's. Verboten here. I've helped a # of friends and colleagues setup their HT's, but if it has a pj I don't go back.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Not very loud most of the time. Most of what I listen to is rock, jazz, Americana -- stuff you would ideally hear in a club. I don't often crank it up to "club volume." Frankly, if I could turn it down in the clubs, I'd do that :). I don't care how clean it is, excessive volume isn't necessary to completely enjoy the music; not for me.

With that said, many times I've been listening, given the volume a little tweak here and there, then muted the system to answer the phone or left the room for a moment and have come back to realize I had been listening at a much higher level than I thought. When it's clean, it can sneak up on you. And it can be fun. But usually, deliberately, I'm a moderate volume listener.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing