Nikon D800 - It's Finally Here

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
The one I have waited two years for is finally here.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/07/Nikon_D800_D800E_launch

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Video

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Will he stay or will he go?

My last Nikon was years ago but is there a difference between the 800 and the 800E

Too bad, I am sure that Nikon would welcome you back...IMO, it would be simply a super decision for you!

The Nikon D800 and the D800E...well, yes there are differences. It depends on your needs, and maybe even your wants...think of it as a metaphor; you know, similar to wanting to go Silk or not.

Cheers!
ALF

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Too bad, I am sure that Nikon would welcome you back...IMO, it would be simply a super decision for you!

The Nikon D800 and the D800E...well, yes there are differences. It depends on your needs, and maybe even your wants...think of it as a metaphor; you know, similar to wanting to go Silk or not.

Cheers!
ALF

well you have told me everything but what the differences are :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No anti-alias filter for the E model. The raw image data will be sharper straight out of the camera. For general photography you want the filter.

not sure I understand what an anti-alias filter is and why I want it

what's the price difference in the 2 models

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
not sure I understand what an anti-alias filter is and why I want it

what's the price difference in the 2 models

A short explanation.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Aliasing_01.htm

Why you want the filter: To eliminate Moire patterns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

These patterns are problematic with straight lines in a photgraphs such as a brick wall, siding on a house ect.
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/DigPhotog/alias/

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
well you have told me everything but what the differences are :)

Here's what the review said about it, but that enhancement wouldn't be something that matters so much to me.

dpreview quote not posted said:
In addition to the D800, Nikon will also be releasing a supplementary model for those professionals who demand even higher resolution and D-SLR versatility; the D800E. This model treads in medium format territory for studio work or landscape photography when there is no exception to only the highest fidelity and sharpness. This unique alternative model will effectively enhance the resolution characteristics of the 36.3-megapixel CMOS sensor by cancelling the anti-aliasing properties of the OLPF inside the camera. By doing this, light is delivered directly to the photodiodes, yielding an image resulting from the raw light gathering properties of the camera. A color moiré correction tool will also be available within Capture NX2 to enhance the D800E photographer’s workflow.

I have the D300, and what I like best is the backwards compatibility of the digital Nikon bodies. I always thought the analog look was due to film only, but the older AI lenses give a more realistic look to the photos than the contrasty new D lenses, in my opinion. Fortunately, I have a lot of those lenses around from the F and F2 days. I also prefer the fixed focal lengths of the old lenses. The D800's 24x36 sensor is also a major attraction for me, although the D700 had that, too.

Win

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Not the whole story by any means, but a surprising disparity in the sensor scores of the 5Dmkiii vs D800:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/19/dxomark-verdict-nikon-d800-95-canon-5d-mark-iii-81.aspx/

The dynamic range disparity is the real (and potentially meaningful) shocker to me.

I'd hoped to have my D800 already but apparently didn't get my preorder in early enough for the first shipment. Will report on it when I've spent some time.

95% of users will want the straight 800. The E might suit portrait photographers or perhaps still life/macro work Moire can crop up in lots of circumstances, from brick as mentioned. It more likely the finer horizontal stuff like thin blinds and clothing patterns. Have done some shooting for clothing designer Jhane Barnes in the past -- some of her more dense patterns were moire nightmares.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Very much enjoying my D800. Love the feel in my hand, and the detail, low light performance, and subtlety of color gradation is stunning.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Bob,

what's the feedback on the D800 so far?

I'm very happy with it but haven't done anything 'hardcore' with it yet. Some low light shooting in a cafe was handled extremely well. 1600 ISO and basically noise-free, very subtle gradations of shadow detail and light fixtures in the frame held up well too. Preset incandescent WB was very close too, not always the case with even expensive cams. The detail in raw files is off the charts. very much like the heft, solidity and way it handles too. My 24-120 f4 mates well with it -- looking forward to trying my 70-200 f2.8 which is a more resolving lens. Will report back when I've used it more comprehensively and have a better sense of its limits, but it's obviously an extremely good camera.

Looking forward to trying the uncompressed video out too and testing how it handles motion.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Machines...

Think of Nikon D800e being like a Lyra Olympos SL placed on real tonearm, like the FR-66s, feeding down a silver stream into a phono stage that does not act like a bottleneck, plenty of gain...63dB is simply nowhere near enough, showing all that is there without unnecessary shortfalls, distortion and bandwidth artifacts, super!

As my great aunt used to say, "try it, I like it."

This is a wonderful machine...so is the new Canon 5d mkiii...so is my LEICA M6 TTL...accept no bottlenecks, always use your best glass!

Kind Regards,
ALF

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bob,

Would love to see some un-post-processed hardcore test shots when you get the chance. Still clinging to my D700 and to be honest I'm not tempted to change bodies at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing