Soundstage Height

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
DaveyF's thread on 'Depth' made me think of another dimension in the soundstage - height, and if that is exclusively or mostly attributable to the speakers' height itself.

Having lived with mini monitors in the past (on stands), and then tall speakers like the B&W800s and now the Magnepan 2.7QRs, I have found out that very little amount of tweaks, cable swapping, tube rolling or amp switching can increase the soundstage height of my system, at least in a dramatic fashion. For monitors, I have found out that toe in or toe out can affect the soundstage height a bit, but when I went to the 6' B&W800 from the 4' B&W801, the soundstage height increased dramatically and even towards the end of the stage that is where the most obvious change had happened, the people singing are now standing instead of sitting. From then, it was hard for me to go back to a 'short' speaker system.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Phil-Did you miss the height food-fight we already had?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Since you have MG2.7QR's - which IMHO do have good soundstage height.... try this.

On track 2 of this disc (it is also track 2 on SuperSound III):
http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/product_p/fimuhd073.htm

In the first few seconds, there is a shaker that is supposed to sound like a bird flying from left to right. The path that the shaker defines - when you are sitting down in front of the speakers - is from about mid height 2 feet outside the left of the left speaker, then it comes out towards you and downwards and between the speakers, then it floats back to the right speaker and flies upwards, disappearing into the upper right corner of your room.

If the shaker does not fly upwards as it goes back on the right, tilt the right speaker towards you slightly. You will want to put a small, about 1/8" piece of wood or something (may be a piece of paper folded over 8 times) under the back corner of the legs of the speaker. This tilts the top of the right speaker towards you. Sit down and listen again.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since you have MG2.7QR's - which IMHO do have good soundstage height.... try this.

On track 2 of this disc (it is also track 2 on SuperSound III):
http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/product_p/fimuhd073.htm

In the first few seconds, there is a shaker that is supposed to sound like a bird flying from left to right. The path that the shaker defines - when you are sitting down in front of the speakers - is from about mid height 2 feet outside the left of the left speaker, then it comes out towards you and downwards and between the speakers, then it floats back to the right speaker and flies upwards, disappearing into the upper right corner of your room.

If the shaker does not fly upwards as it goes back on the right, tilt the right speaker towards you slightly. You will want to put a small, about 1/8" piece of wood or something (may be a piece of paper folded over 8 times) under the back corner of the legs of the speaker. This tilts the top of the right speaker towards you. Sit down and listen again.

Hi Gary,

I'm quite satisfied with the height of my 2.7s and I'll try to take a look at the test you mentioned. Thanks.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5764-What-is-quot-Sound-Stage-quot

97 pages later.......

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?5764-What-is-quot-Sound-Stage-quot

97 pages later.......

thanks, treitz3. 97 pages! how did i miss that. :D it might take me a few days to read. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
PM me for the deleted OT portions regarding a certain pretty Jazz artist. Hahahahahaha!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Jack, are you referring to the Stars Fell On Alabama - Renee Olstead's Skylark album?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Her pics :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow. From soundstage to soundstage height to Renee Olstead's pic that have been deleted. Umm...is she a tall girl? :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Each of those pages seems to be very long and maybe that's why I missed out reading that thread before. My mind seems to filter out long reads nowadays. :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Different "height" subjects as far as I can see. Perhaps it is the proximity of near field listening, but I can the height of the image from my monitors very substantially by tilting them back. It goes from "sitting" to "standing."

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis has one of the best proportioned soundstages I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. I pulled a prank on him once and said his left Maggie was raked differently from the right one. Lo and behold, a protractor magically appeared! LOL.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Different "height" subjects as far as I can see. Perhaps it is the proximity of near field listening, but I can the height of the image from my monitors very substantially by tilting them back. It goes from "sitting" to "standing."

Tim

Ah, yes, that's a good tweak for the monitor speakers, Tim. And I now recall, the Spica TC-50s, having a sloped baffle, to me, projects a soundstage height substantially above their actual height on stands. Perhaps that's an effect of tilting backwards.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis has one of the best proportioned soundstages I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. I pulled a prank on him once and said his left Maggie was raked differently from the right one. Lo and behold, a protractor magically appeared! LOL.

Hahaha...It's a good thing I had one of those carpenter's protractor in my toolbox. :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ah, yes, that's a good tweak for the monitor speakers, Tim. And I now recall, the Spica TC-50s, having a sloped baffle, to me, projects a soundstage height substantially above their actual height on stands. Perhaps that's an effect of tilting backwards.

Works like a charm in the near field. I have mine tilted back and it puts the top of the image several inches above the speakers, and that's from just 4 feet back. By experimenting with toe-in and tilt, a good pair of monitors with sub(s) could project a very nice sound stage, even into a sizeable room.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing