1 Egg
1/3 cup Bread Crumbs
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Italian Seasonings
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
2 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
1 Onion (finely minced)

Combine all ingredients and mix throughly by hand (best method).
Shape into a loaf and refrigerate (covered with plastic wrap) for an hour or so.

Gravy
1 cup Tomato Juice
1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
1/4 BBQ Sauce (your own or store bought)
1 Onion (cut into wedges and separated)

Place Loaf into a glass/metal vessel, leaving enough room to distribute the gravy all around it.

Pour gravy over meatloaf and cook for 1 hour at 350, basting meatloaf every 15 minutes.

Let it sit for 15 minutes....then slice and serve with gravy on mashed potatoes and a veg of your choice.

John

PS~ My Mashed Potatoes are to die for...recipe may be forthcoming. LOL!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now who wouldn't love what is essentially one big meatball? Looks like a good recipe John, I'll try it out :)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
And there was me expecting to read about the other meatloaf: the Bat Out of Hell kind! (Makes a mental note to chek out the name of the subforum before reading!)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Me too! The first thing that entered my mind was the trauma of seeing the video of "I Would Do Anything for Love" the first time! Hahahahaa!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I make a mean meat loaf, myself.

It is similar to yours, but I don't add an egg or bread crumbs.

If you are concerned about health -- use beef from grass fed cattle. Don't mean to go all political on you in a meatloaf thread, but cattle are meant to eat grass not corn and grass fed beef is better for you.

Instead of bread crumbs, I actually use about 1/4 C of ground Flax seed. Gives a better flavor in this recipe and -- again -- has health benefits.

I use about 9 large cloves of garlic --- makes it tasty and -- again -- garlic is good for you.

The only green seasoning I use is basil. About a tablespoon.

I also add about two heaping tablespoons of dijon mustard.

Add a dash of cayenne and black pepper.

This makes a meatloaf that is tasty as hell and with all of the health benefits, it'll actually add about ten years to your life.

That's just an estimate I pulled out of my butt, so don't quote me on the health benefits, but you can quote me on the tasty part.

For the gravy -- all you need is ketchup. Organic, of course.

You want that extra ten years, don't you?!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I make a mean meat loaf, myself.

It is similar to yours, but I don't add an egg or bread crumbs.

If you are concerned about health -- use beef from grass fed cattle. Don't mean to go all political on you in a meatloaf thread, but cattle are meant to eat grass not corn and grass fed beef is better for you.

Instead of bread crumbs, I actually use about 1/4 C of ground Flax seed. Gives a better flavor in this recipe and -- again -- has health benefits.

I use about 9 large cloves of garlic --- makes it tasty and -- again -- garlic is good for you.

The only green seasoning I use is basil. About a tablespoon.

I also add about two heaping tablespoons of dijon mustard.

Add a dash of cayenne and black pepper.

This makes a meatloaf that is tasty as hell and with all of the health benefits, it'll actually add about ten years to your life.

That's just an estimate I pulled out of my butt, so don't quote me on the health benefits, but you can quote me on the tasty part.

For the gravy -- all you need is ketchup. Organic, of course.

You want that extra ten years, don't you?!

Sounds interesting. I imagine if someone wants a little healthier version, they could use leaner turkey, etc?

Not to mention, grass fed beef just tastes better in addition to having healthier fats :)

Not a small point about organic ketchup. Regular ketchup is filled with HFCS-one of the worst things invented by man!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My meatloaf is much like John's. Add a can of drained, finely diced tomatoes. Substitute oatmeal for the bread crumbs. Put ketchup on top, no gravy.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My meatloaf is much like John's. Add a can of drained, finely diced tomatoes. Substitute oatmeal for the bread crumbs. Put ketchup on top, no gravy.

Tim

Made it the other day and added about a half can of diced tomatoes to it. Thanks Tim!;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Yes,I love meatloaf,don't make it enough.

I use breadcrumbs,egg and my favorite BBQ sause with some beef broth to give it a consistancy of ground veal.

Add in mushrooms,diced onion,garlic,italian seasoning and others. Topped with a brown gravy made with french onion soup and I'm in heaven

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tried a different recipe and I think I like it better. It was extremely moist.

Meatloaf Recipe #2
2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
1 medium Onion (finely diced)
2 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
1 cup Milk
1 cup Breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper

Topping (base)
2 TBS Brown Sugar (I added another as I prefer it a little sweeter)
2 TBS Yellow Mustard
1/3 cup Ketchup

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I use a mix of ground beef,veal and extra lean pork.
I use parmesan cheese instead of Breadcrumbs.
The rest goes with the inspiration of the day and what ever I have on hand.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use a mix of ground beef,veal and extra lean pork.
I use parmesan cheese instead of Breadcrumbs.
The rest goes with the inspiration of the day and what ever I have on hand.

For me that wouldn't work as I'm not a fan of Parmesan cheese in cooking and will only use it if it's absolutely called for. I only really like it shaved fresh. And yes, I've used mixtures (beef, veal, pork) before as well. I liked this recipe as it is very basic and I was quite surprised at the moistness level of the finished product.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Take a mix of stewed/diced tomatoes, blend roughly. Warm then add around 1/2, 3/4 cooked loaf. Finish cooking, drippings and tomatoes merge. Easy tasty gravy. Always make two loaves as leftover sandwiches are a fav. Horseradishustard, sharp cheddar, dark wheat, rye or pump. Yum!!!!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ Haha! One thing for sure...he don't need no more. :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing