Genesis G1 "Dragon" Launch Party - May 4th, 2012

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It's a real challenge to photograph these - try to show the glossyness of the finish, the interesting pattern of the carbon fiber, and the gold accents. Would probably need a better photographer and a full-sized studio to really do them justice! Here they are on top of our workbench - being packed up already for shipping.

GARY, light the scene using multiple flashes (probably four) at different heights and angles pointing into photographic umbrellas on stands.

That will give your black glossy carbon fibers more texture and multiple highlights rather than looking black with one specular highlight.

You don't really need them set up in a photo studio.

One tiny flash on a camera isn't going to do it.

As with photographing a black car, you will still have a hard time getting very full depth and texture.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
GARY, light the scene using multiple flashes (probably four) at different heights and angles pointing into photographic umbrellas on stands.

That will give your black glossy carbon fibers more texture and multiple highlights rather than looking black with one specular highlight.

You don't really need them set up in a photo studio.

One tiny flash on a camera isn't going to do it.

As with photographing a black car, you will still have a hard time getting very full depth and texture.

The previous picture was done with three lights - two large softboxes on either side, one umbrella on top - and I couldn't get any texture or depth without seeing the reflection of the light. The carbon fiber is a mirror-like gloss, and because the wings are curved, I had to get the lights very far to the sides so as not to see the reflection. With the lights so far to the side, it just made the carbon fiber look black and textureless.

This one used only one light - a softbox with an on-camera flash to give the picture more interest.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In your Dragon photo, the lighting is diffuse, looks like from the windows, and I think it shows the speakers better.

In the empty room photo of the right channel, the diffuse lighting is also better.

Despite the gloss, the carbon fiber needs the light to enter it so you can see the texture, so more diffuse light from the front seems in order.

For the Carbon fiber versions, I would keep the lighting more toward the front. A few highlights on the panels from umbrellas or soft boxes seems like it would be OK. Have you tried that? Another thing you might try is to think about Ansel Adams' Zone System of exposure and development. Of course, now, you will alter your camera exposure and adjust your "development" in Photoshop instead of the developer solution. Since the subject is black, I would try the lighting I mentioned and then overexpose in the camera to bring the blacks out of the smudgy textureless ZONES 0, I and II and bring it into ZONE III where texture develops. THEN adjust the contrast and highlights on the carbon fiber, ribbons and woofers in photoshop.

I did what I could in photoshop--I am not a master at it, but not too bad with the photo you posted. Mostly adjustment of "CURVES", but it was difficult because your exposure was underexposed for the speakers. For best results DO NOT have people in the picture if your intent is to have a great photo of the G1.2 Dragon. Alternatively, you could photoshop yourself into the photo so you are also well exposed.

The added texture looks much better on my computer in photoshop than after I uploaded it. On my computer I see good texture in the carbon fiber, at least as good as I could with an underexposed photo.

Attachments

• Gary & Dragon.jpg
    Gary & Dragon.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks for your help, Gary.

The picture with me in it was just for fun.

Here's a slice of the picture, after removing background, curves, sharpening, etc. I couldn't get it to look both glossy, and with the carbon fiber texture. It's a challenge, I tell you.

slice.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The image I created on my screen (NOT how it looks once uploaded) actually DOES show it as textured and glossy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing