Genesis G1 "Dragon" Launch Party - May 4th, 2012

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Before we send one of our big line-source babies off on the high seas (nah - via air actually) to its lucky owner, we always play it in for at least a week and can schedule ourselves a "bon voyage" party on the factory floor. This one is pretty special. It is a custom design with narrower wings and a carbon-fibre finish, with the Genesis gold "Dragon" logo.

Gary has already dropped hints all over this forum and at the last Pacific Northwest Audio Society meeting, so I am inviting all interested members of the WBF and PNWAS (and spouses/friends) to come and join us.

At this time, we are planning this for Friday, May 4th, 2012 starting at 5pm and running until late. Keep your eyes on this thread for any changes and list of gear - Gary is planning on putting all Burmester top of the line equipment on this system.

As I will be planning the refreshments, DO let me know if you intend to come. Anyone showing up before 5pm will be put to work, and no... not with the gear... No touchee! You will be humping chairs, the carpet, arranging plastic silverware etc. etc.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If no one is coming from the West Coast, you could have the unveiling on the other coast ;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
If no one is coming from the West Coast, you could have the unveiling on the other coast ;)

The Pacific Northwest Audio Society members should be here in force even if WBF members don't turn up. If Frantz is coming, I'll put the Burmester 909's on, otherwise it's going to be my own amps.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here's what we will probably end up using - but there's three more days to go yet:

Roksan Xerses 20+ turntable with Artemiz and Magic Diamond
Burmester 089 CD Player
Gary's Stupid-good Music Server with M2Tech Young DAC
Genesis SMc-1 prototype preamp with built-in prototype phono stage
Genesis Anniversary 1440W Monoblocks

I'm eagerly anticipating Ki Choi bringing one of his tape machines.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The system.......

Dragon small..jpg

The PNWAS EXCO played here tonight....... The speaker is still running in - woofers are tight, the long ribbon is still making strange squeaky sounds, but by the time we have to pack these babies up early next week - they should be ready for the customer :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like to come Gary but have to leave by about 1 or 2 pm. Should I do it or will it be too early?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The system.......

View attachment 3553

The PNWAS EXCO played here tonight....... The speaker is still running in - woofers are tight, the long ribbon is still making strange squeaky sounds, but by the time we have to pack these babies up early next week - they should be ready for the customer :)

Beautiful...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congratulations Gary. I have to send my regrets...have to work :-((

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Gary. I noticed that the woofer array is located back behind both of the main speakers. The last time I listened a Genesis speaker setup like the ones pictured [I was 15 at the time and they had wood sides], I noticed that they were set up roughly with the same placement. May I ask why the woofer array is placed in this manner? I have always been curious about this as I have seen photos of other similar setups with the same type of placement.

Sounds like it will be a good time. Have fun!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello, Gary. I noticed that the woofer array is located back behind both of the main speakers. The last time I listened a Genesis speaker setup like the ones pictured [I was 15 at the time and they had wood sides], I noticed that they were set up roughly with the same placement. May I ask why the woofer array is placed in this manner? I have always been curious about this as I have seen photos of other similar setups with the same type of placement.

Sounds like it will be a good time. Have fun!

It's just for space considerations. In a large enough room (I usually recommend 10m x 16m as the 'ideal' room) you would have the woofer towers equidistant from the listening position but to the outside of the midrange/tweeter wings with all four pieces in an arc. However, when the room is not large enough, up to 2m behind the wings is OK. At the sort of wavelengths we are dealing with in the bass, a little difference in positioning doesn't make a huge difference.

By the way, even though the woofer towers are over 2m tall, they are still effectively a POINT source.......

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I see, thank you. The room I heard them in was relatively small [for a speaker set like that] and somewhat "L" shaped but they sounded rather nice. The immediate thing that struck me on first glance was just how big those speakers really are. Pictures don't really do the actual size justice, IMO. I'd love to listen to them again in an arc type setup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing