REELTRONIX take up reels

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com

http://reeltronix.com/
Patric Sinegal has a real winner with his new Reeltronix take up reels. I have had a few of these for some time now and they are pretty amazing, maybe some of you saw them in my room at CES this year. Patrick should be applauded for pushing the envelope on this niche market, high end take up reels, it even sounds more obscure as I type it!

However small this market may be the product, materials, and design, is anything but "small". It is actually big and bold in every way and then some. You may look at a picture of the reel and say, yeah it looks good but holding one in your hand reveals quite an accomplishment.

Precision workmanship: The fit and finish is stellar, pretty damn perfect actually, like bloody art.
Balance: You want to see a reel pack tape, get one of these.
Weight: Not too heavy, not too light, just right and do these baby's spin smooth in FF and REW!
Fit: Like a glove on any NAB hub I have tried.
Sound: Do they make the deck sound better? Buy one and let me know your thoughts.

If we want this movement to grow we need to support the guys that are pushing the envelope.
I have no stake in Reeltronix I just want to have their reels available for a long time to come. After having one of these reels for some time I will ever run tape on one of my decks without a Reeltronix reel.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Honestly guys, reels designed to look like mag wheels on your car? Can anyone say bling? And unless you spool off all your tapes onto these mag wheel reels and greatly increase your investment in tape which is already through the roof, you will be running a mag wheel on one side and a regular reel on the other side giving the deck a strange unbalanced look-or at least I would think so. To each his own, but I will leave mag wheels on my car tires.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Honestly guys, reels designed to look like mag wheels on your car? Can anyone say bling? And unless you spool off all your tapes onto these mag wheel reels and greatly increase your investment in tape which is already through the roof, you will be running a mag wheel on one side and a regular reel on the other side giving the deck a strange unbalanced look-or at least I would think so. To each his own, but I will leave mag wheels on my car tires.

I know one diehard tape head who I thought would hate the Reeltronix reel that I'm reviewing. Lo and behold, he thought it was very sexy on my Technics. So I think one needs to see it up close and personal ;) Maybe Greg will have them with him at RMAF.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-Unless you spend crazy money, you are only going to have the sexy bling mag wheel reel on one side of your deck which would be the left side. The right side will be your regular metal reel. It would kind of be like having really nice wheels on your car, getting a flat tire, and having to get out the baby spare with the black steel rim designed to get you down the road a few miles until you can get your tire repaired or replaced. It's just not going to look balanced with only one bling reel.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only time I think you could use 2 reels is if a vendor at a show played a compilation tape the whole time.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I know it's kind of cool, but it's only half cool. I'm fine with regular reels on both sides. I have been thinking about buying one cool shoe and one not so cool shoe though.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know it's kind of cool, but it's only half cool. I'm fine with regular reels on both sides. I have been thinking about buying one cool shoe and one not so cool shoe though.

I hear the other shoe is about to drop :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I like the looks. I will draw the line at spinners however. :p

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
They don't work for me...all my music supply reels are plan old aluminum..SM900, but I do have red anodized Quantegy GP9 reels and gold anodized 3m reels for take up . They look good enough for me...

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I just have to give them credit for making products for reel to reel.

Bruce in PA

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
My they are purdy! I think the idea here is (for those with the means) to buy a few of them and break them out on those occassions when you're entertaining guests, having a party or hosting your local audio club meeting.

For my own use, however, my Tascam RE-1004 works just fine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing