Pro Amplification

sierraalphahotel

Mar 25, 2012
Hey there,

I've been wondering where things stand with professional power amplifiers today for use in home cinema and music applications?

Does anyone use pro amps in their set-up? There are so many offerings from the likes of QSC and Crown and many others, but does anyone have experience with these or other manufacturers? I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and recommendations.

Sean

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can share two sets of experiences. One is in our reference theater. We have a set of JBL amplifiers powering our bi-amped fronts and side/surround channels. They are conventional linear designs but made for pro environment with forced air cooling and such. It is nice for rackmount work as they do not need any spacing between them. Down side is fan noise. You can see them stacked here with their blue lights lining up:

The sound quite nice and super dynamic given our horn-based JBL Synthesis speakers.

I suspect though you are asking about the switching/high-efficiency designs. We sell a ton of Crown amps. Believe it or not, most of them go into homes powering whole house audio. We like them because we can get units with DSP, letting us optimize the response of in-wall, in-ceiling speakers. They too have fans but it is temperature/load sensitive. Even there, you would need to place them outside as they would be too noisy otherwise.

I have compared the higher-end Crown amp against our Mark Levinson amps. Against the Mark Levinson 532 Reference, the Crown had more powerful bass. Its higher efficiency means it sucks more power out of the wall socket, enabling it push the large Revel Salon 2 speakers I tested better. On the high-end though, the Mark Levinson pulled ahead. Hard to describe but the high frequencies are just not as clear. The Mark Levinson 53 which is a high-speed version of a switchmode amplifier (effective switching frequency of 4 Mhz), matched the crown and has delightful high frequency response giving best of both worlds. But it is, far, far more expensive.

An interesting hybrid new option is the new Lexicon DD-8: http://www.lexicon.com/Products/Details/13

This is also a switchmode design but very compact and fanless. It gives you 8 channels, each at 125 watts, yet is in a tiny chassis and as mentioned, dead quiet. Its origins are in building amps that were light and efficient for cars. So Harman got together with TI and designed a highly integrated core amplification chip. We now use these in many whole house distribution environments. I have not done much side-by-side comparisons but just listening to them with Revels, they sounded pretty good. I am tempted to use them in my theater to bi-amp some of my channels.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I can share two sets of experiences. One is in our reference theater. We have a set of JBL amplifiers powering our bi-amped fronts and side/surround channels. They are conventional linear designs but made for pro environment with forced air cooling and such. It is nice for rackmount work as they do not need any spacing between them. Down side is fan noise. You can see them stacked here with their blue lights lining up:

The sound quite nice and super dynamic given our horn-based JBL Synthesis speakers.

I suspect though you are asking about the switching/high-efficiency designs. We sell a ton of Crown amps. Believe it or not, most of them go into homes powering whole house audio. We like them because we can get units with DSP, letting us optimize the response of in-wall, in-ceiling speakers. They too have fans but it is temperature/load sensitive. Even there, you would need to place them outside as they would be too noisy otherwise.

I have compared the higher-end Crown amp against our Mark Levinson amps. Against the Mark Levinson 532 Reference, the Crown had more powerful bass. Its higher efficiency means it sucks more power out of the wall socket, enabling it push the large Revel Salon 2 speakers I tested better. On the high-end though, the Mark Levinson pulled ahead. Hard to describe but the high frequencies are just not as clear. The Mark Levinson 53 which is a high-speed version of a switchmode amplifier (effective switching frequency of 4 Mhz), matched the crown and has delightful high frequency response giving best of both worlds. But it is, far, far more expensive.

An interesting hybrid new option is the new Lexicon DD-8: http://www.lexicon.com/Products/Details/13

This is also a switchmode design but very compact and fanless. It gives you 8 channels, each at 125 watts, yet is in a tiny chassis and as mentioned, dead quiet. Its origins are in building amps that were light and efficient for cars. So Harman got together with TI and designed a highly integrated core amplification chip. We now use these in many whole house distribution environments. I have not done much side-by-side comparisons but just listening to them with Revels, they sounded pretty good. I am tempted to use them in my theater to bi-amp some of my channels.

How much is that Lexicon, Amir? I had forgotten Lexicon was purchased by Harman.

Tim

sierraalphahotel

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Other than the mechanical noise, the JBL's are otherwise quiet? They don't exhibit any intrusive hum through the speakers or other nastiness? Clearly they must perform well if they are in your reference system. The Lexicon is interesting. The speakers I am considering don't allow for bi-amping and I worry that the 125wpc would be a little underwhelming, even though it is a very small room.

I am basically looking for a solid alternative to the much more expensive brands. I don't have the budget for the ML amps and the larger Thetas etc.

I'm looking at using Procella Audio speakers in the room and unfortunately the models I am considering are not active. The fan noise is a problem and I'm already am fed up with the fan my Playstation 3 has. The amps will have to be out of the room! I heard good things about the now discontinued Crown Studio Reference series but I don't know if Crown every replaced these or what the contemporary models are?

Sean

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the reply.

Other than the mechanical noise, the JBL's are otherwise quiet? They don't exhibit any intrusive hum through the speakers or other nastiness?
Yes, the JBL Synthesis amps are quiet. I just went into our theater which is a very quiet space and from about a foot, I could not hear a thing. Need a ladder to get any closer :).

The Lexicon is interesting. The speakers I am considering don't allow for bi-amping and I worry that the 125wpc would be a little underwhelming, even though it is a very small room.
Probably so. My plan was to use my Proceed amp to drive the woofers and the DD-8 for the tweeters.

I'm looking at using Procella Audio speakers in the room and unfortunately the models I am considering are not active. The fan noise is a problem and I'm already am fed up with the fan my Playstation 3 has. The amps will have to be out of the room! I heard good things about the now discontinued Crown Studio Reference series but I don't know if Crown every replaced these or what the contemporary models are?

Sean
I am not up to speed on their model numbers or generations. But my chief designer lives and dies by them and knows all there is to know about them. He is probably the most experienced person with them in our region if not the country! So if you need more info, PM me with your email address and I will put you in touch with him and he can provide info/history on them.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the forum, sierraalphahotel! I don't know if you would like my observations on the pro gear I have heard so I'll just be polite and just say that they are not my preference. I will ask you this, if you do not mind me asking....why are you considering pro gear and is this for an HT setup or a 2-channel rig?

sierraalphahotel

Mar 25, 2012
Hello and welcome to the forum, sierraalphahotel! I don't know if you would like my observations on the pro gear I have heard so I'll just be polite and just say that they are not my preference. I will ask you this, if you do not mind me asking....why are you considering pro gear and is this for an HT setup or a 2-channel rig?

Hi treitz3,

The main reason I am looking at pro amps is budget. I currently have a Theta CBIIIHD and Dreadnaught II amp and I'm planning to redo my tiny room for 7.1 and do my best to get the room acoustics the best I can. My Dreadnaught II doesn't have enough channels. The thing is, there are lots of Dreadnaughts on the used market at great prices (as well as other great amp brands of course). Looking on Audiogon, I could pick up a used Dreadnaught II for a great deal but the thing that kills this idea is always the PSU of the amps. I'm in the UK and the great deals on the US used market are useless when the gear needs 110V power and all you have is 220V.

Understandably, manufacturers are not in a hurry to swap out power supplies in used overseas market machines so I have to look at more affordable options.

The system is going to most likely be a Procella Audio HT, with the Theta CBIIIHD at the helm.

Sean

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I run Ampzilla 2000 for my mains but I do run a Behringer EP4000 EUROPOWER power amp for my Danley DTS-10 horn sub. It does a great job pushing 1400 watts per channel to the two 15's in a tapped horn sub. As mentioned before, there is the fan noise to deal with, but not a big deal for me as the amp and sub are actually in the next room. The sub fires through a hole in the wall into the home theater room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Way back when (linear days), I used a lot of Crown MacroTechs, Fostex's, and Crests. For the mids I liked the Crest amps (we ran fully active). I always found them smoother and more refined. I never did get to try them in a home setting against the power amps we had.

I don't know what these brands are doing these days. I'm pretty sure though that if it's just bass duty, and fan noise won't be an issue, I'm all for 'em.

sierraalphahotel

Mar 25, 2012
Very nice!

Have you asked Dennis Erskine what he thinks?

Mr Erskine did one of his fabulous Signature Designs for me back in 2009/10 but the landscape has changed for me and there is no possibility of taking it from the drawing board.

The Erskine design would have needed a small extension to my house that I can also no longer do, so I am implementing as many of the elements from Mr Erskine's design as possible into my existing room. I have no doubt some of you have closets in your home bigger than my room but I'm trying to do what I can with what I have.

Dennis recommended looking at QSC and Audio Control. Audio Control don't sell outside of the US as far as I can tell and I'm looking into the QSC stuff. SO many choices.

As I said, if I could get a used Theta Dreadnaught II (I've seen them go for $3000!) and get a 220V PS for it then I would do that to get my additional channels. I would like to keep my Dreadnaught II as I love how how it sounds and selling would generate very little return, especially in the UK.

Thanks,

Sean

sierraalphahotel

Mar 25, 2012
Way back when (linear days), I used a lot of Crown MacroTechs, Fostex's, and Crests. For the mids I liked the Crest amps (we ran fully active). I always found them smoother and more refined. I never did get to try them in a home setting against the power amps we had.

I don't know what these brands are doing these days. I'm pretty sure though that if it's just bass duty, and fan noise won't be an issue, I'm all for 'em.

Hi,

I looked through Crown's products and it seems like they discontinued all of the models that people have spoken of highly (Studio Reference, MacroTech, K2 etc). I read somewhere that Crown even had a fanless amp at one time (perfect for me!) but it must also have been discontinued as I can find no mention of such an amp in their current line up?

sierraalphahotel

Mar 25, 2012
HI, Sean! I have a big Krell EVO403 for my HT and I use an Emotiva XPA-3 for the rear channels (6.1). At 200 wpc, the Emotiva performs very well.

If you're going from stereo to 7.1, the XPA-5 would be a logical choice. Note that it has automatic 115/230 V switching. It's $899:

Lee

Some more good options, thanks Lee!

Sean

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing