Burmester 911 mk3

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I just wanna say this:

This is a very nice thread with top notch members.
I don't post but I read it all. And I truly enjoy everything I'm reading from everyone. :b

THX
Bob

I enjoy your company Bob!

I think the title of this thread should be renamed the Burmester Love Fest. And I too would love to hear some Burmester gear to see if I share the love. This gear is outside of my price range though.

+1

I agree about the love fest. I hope you get to hear Burmester and eventually own it.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think the title of this thread should be renamed the Burmester Love Fest. And I too would love to hear some Burmester gear to see if I share the love. This gear is outside of my price range though.
:D

mep
Burmester are not cheap . Now I would think they occupy the mid-tier in price but IMO continue to be top-tier in performance ... They have several lines and they share some of the qualities of their more expensive brethren. THe not expensive lines are the Classic and the Rondo. The Rondo Line doesn't share the Burmester unmistakable look but does share the impossibly superb finish and precision assembly and of course the sound. I see then from time to time used (my favorite mode of acquisition) for around $6000 ... ( I am surprising myself calling $6 k sane for a 80 w/ch amp) but all things being relative . :( ... The 036 can be also bridged mono at the factory or on the field for a then healthy 300 w/ch at 4 ohm...

@microstrip
I am not sure where you get the specs on Burmester products and I unfortunately don't have the manuals handy, because I remember that the measurements for the 911 were very good to excellent.. The bandwidth at - 3db was from DC to , at least, 200 KHz something almost all Burmester share. The 909 and 911 may even go to 300 kHz, don't hold me to it .. Burmester designs are definitely wide-bandwidth not in the MHz but wide-bandwidth nonetheless and the preamp more so ... As for Signal to noise ratio anyone familiar with the 911 will tell you they are so silent as to make almost no noise even with high efficiency speakers : you put your ears to the speakers and there is NO noise ... and the rated signal ratio I remember from the 911 (on the earlier version of the manual circa 2003?) was quoted as 108 dB that is very healthy and I am not sure there are many tubes amps with these noise specs ...

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I just wanna say this:

I don't post but I read it all. And I truly enjoy everything I'm reading from everyone.

THX
Bob

LOL Bob, I love your posts, all 3,000+ of them! :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I just wanna say this:

I don't post but I read it all. And I truly enjoy everything I'm reading from everyone.

THX
Bob

LOL Bob, I love your posts, all 3,000+ of them! :)

I don't think Bob is ever at a loss for words. :) But I bet Burmester will leave him speechless. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Lol Joe, I have been in this audio hobby, like most of you here, for a very long time,
and even if I never personally own or heard any Burmester products in the past;
I surely read a lot about them, and I consider this Burmester hand-made in Germany company,
among the very best ever. The quality care in-&-out is simply unequalled; except by very few,
in the very high ultra-end like dCS, darTZeel, Nagra, EMM Labs, and that sort of Jazz.

...And I ain't touching sky-is-the-limit Loudspeakers. :b

But it is from you people, who have first-hand experience in these "expensive" products
that I am learning, more.

Bob

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bob, it's a pity you don't have a passport. Otherwise the Burmester 909 monoblocks driving a pair of Genesis 1's will just be 4 hours away next week. Can I tempt you? Robb - the Burmester NA CEO is going to be out of town to the Munich High End show, so I guess he won't mind if I raid his stock and use whatever I can find there. It's a real pity that Burmester recalled the 111 for the show (it has to go out early next week) otherwise that would be a great piece to show too!!!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Gary,

I would love to be closer to you and have a listen to your setup. I am sure you put on a great demo!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Gary, very easy to get my passport. ...Just have to reniew it.

And I bet I can find a Burmester audio dealer somewhere in Canada.
...Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto perhaps?
...But I hate Toronto though. :b

Besides, best is to be in Germany; for several things/reasons .... :b

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
I just wanna say this:

I don't post but I read it all. And I truly enjoy everything I'm reading from everyone. :b

THX
Bob

Yeah...I'm really enjoying this thread. Bizarrely, I haven't even of heard Burmester one month ago. Then I needed to shop around for a new power conditioner and a dealer introduced me to the 948. At that time, I didn't pay any attention as it was so foreign to me. But within these 4 weeks, I seem to be bombarded by the word 'Burmester' at every turn.

Now that my Meridian 808.3 has arrived, I'm thinking of just getting the 911Mk3 and plug the 808.3 directly into it since it has a full preamp onboard. What do you guys think?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah...I'm really enjoying this thread. Bizarrely, I haven't even of heard Burmester one month ago. Then I needed to shop around for a new power conditioner and a dealer introduced me to the 948. At that time, I didn't pay any attention as it was so foreign to me. But within these 4 weeks, I seem to be bombarded by the word 'Burmester' at every turn.

Now that my Meridian 808.3 has arrived, I'm thinking of just getting the 911Mk3 and plug the 808.3 directly into it since it has a full preamp onboard. What do you guys think?

Hi JTein, i have only heard the Meridian 808.2 thru a preamp. I have read from Martin Colloms' review (which is available online) that the Meridian unit is excellent in all ways, though perhaps not as strong as a preamp. Given the quality of other equipment you are considering, if you are going direct into the amp with volume attenuation, i think Martin Colloms said that was his preferred route, but if you are also intending to the use the Meridian as a preamp, that is another matter (at least according to the review). again, i did not hear the Meridian in multiple ways, so this one is for you. http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_MeridianCDP808i.pdf Good luck.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The more I read this thread, the 911 jumps up as the top options to replace my Levinson 333 amp ( not in a rush thou), last night I had a wild dream of unpacking a Burmester amp and finding out it was bigger but lighter than my Viva Solista...a huge dissapointment! :)

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi JTein, i have only heard the Meridian 808.2 thru a preamp. I have read from Martin Colloms' review (which is available online) that the Meridian unit is excellent in all ways, though perhaps not as strong as a preamp. Given the quality of other equipment you are considering, if you are going direct into the amp with volume attenuation, i think Martin Colloms said that was his preferred route, but if you are also intending to the use the Meridian as a preamp, that is another matter (at least according to the review). again, i did not hear the Meridian in multiple ways, so this one is for you. http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_MeridianCDP808i.pdf Good luck.

Thanks Lloyd but I have checked and re-checked the user guide and there is no indication whatsoever that the volume attenuation (they call it variable volume output) is a different feature from the preamp feature. On the contrary, from what I understand from the user guide, the variable volume output is one and the same as the preamp volume.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
The more I read this thread, the 911 jumps up as the top options to replace my Levinson 333 amp ( not in a rush thou), last night I had a wild dream of unpacking a Burmester amp and finding out it was bigger but lighter than my Viva Solista...a huge dissapointment! :)

Hi flez, I think there's no escape for unsuspecting folks like you and me who enter this thread and start reading it. LOL :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd but I have checked and re-checked the user guide and there is no indication whatsoever that the volume attenuation (they call it variable volume output) is a different feature from the preamp feature. On the contrary, from what I understand from the user guide, the variable volume output is one and the same as the preamp volume.

Hi JTein...i guess then the comments were relating to putting other components thru the Meridian. Because the MC review said their favorite way to play the Meridian was direct into the Amp. Let us know what you think!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Gary,

I would love to be closer to you and have a listen to your setup. I am sure you put on a great demo!

From the Joe's Book of Translations: Roadtrip, RedBull and Grey Goose!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

I had this combo for several months. Highly recommended. I only changed this to get the 089. But the 808.3 is awesome, and I miss it.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I also enjoy this "Burmester Fest der Lieber". On a side note, mention this thread and I will discount my 911 MK3 by $500 (Audiogon).

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
From the Joe's Book of Translations: Roadtrip, RedBull and Grey Goose!

:)

I had this combo for several months. Highly recommended. I only changed this to get the 089. But the 808.3 is awesome, and I miss it.

Interfaces really well with the Sooloos system and seems like a great solution/alternative to the 111 server.

I also enjoy this "Burmester Fest der Lieber". On a side note, mention this thread and I will discount my 911 MK3 by $500 (Audiogon).

Very nice Jim! Good Luck!

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia

Thanks MarinJim. Too bad your 911Mk3 is 120V or I would have considered getting it from you.

How does the 089 sound compared with the 808.3?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks MarinJim. Too bad your 911Mk3 is 120V or I would have considered getting it from you.

How does the 089 sound compared with the 808.3?

Please check pm. :)

The 089 has a more oragnic, creamy and 3d quality to it over the 808.3. Burmester has (for me) designed the 089 and 069 CDP to go straight to the heart and soul of music. I kept thinking there are tubes in these CDPs!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing